Those Electric Cigarette Thingys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

E Cigs are not as safe as some might think. :-

From :- http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/10-chem...nia-prop-65-list-carcinogens-and-reproductive

California's landmark Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was enacted as a ballot initiative in November 1986. The Proposition was intended by its authors to protect California citizens and the State's drinking water sources from chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm, and to inform citizens about exposures to such chemicals.

Proposition 65 requires the Governor to publish, at least annually, a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.

Products containing chemicals on the Proposition 65 list are required to carry the following warning in California: "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

The following compounds that are on the Proposition 65 list have already been identified in mainstream or secondhand (sidestream) e-cigarette vapor:

Acetaldehyde (MS)
Benzene (SS)
Cadmium (MS)
Formaldehyde (MS,SS)
Isoprene (SS)
Lead (MS)
Nickel (MS)
Nicotine (MS, SS)
N-Nitrosonornicotine (MS, SS)
Toluene (MS, SS)

As the two papers linked above note, there are other toxic chemicals in the vapor as well as ultrafine particles, that likely have cardiovascular effects.

E-cigarettes do not deliver "pure nicotine" and "harmless water vapor."

Just remember, Asbestos was once a space age super product that was the answer to many things.....
I'm not saying they are safe but they are a 100 times safer than cigs and if they help me give up its good

Peteaud

Veteran
I'm not saying they are safe but they are a 100 times safer than cigs and if they help me give up its good

If they help you give up then good, and i hope you manage to quit the weed, but some are using both cigs and e cigs.

The one thing i can recommend is the Nicotine mouth squirter, can't remember who made it, but it helped me (20 a day for 30 years before i quit).

I won't have it they stink cos it simy ain't true my wife don't smoke and even she said they don't
The ones I've been in close proximity too have definitely given off a smell immediately after the owner has vaped. It dissipates very quickly and it's not even a smoky stinky smell, and actually not unpleasant IMO, it's more a chemically sweet smell, (with a fruity juice anyway). Perhaps it's down to the brand of juice being used?

harly

haveing tried a couple of different flavoured liquids some definately do have a slight aroma and some dont ,certainly not unpleasant like cig smoke , the fruit flavoured liquids ive tried smell just like the fruit , the tabacco ones are a bit more noticable

speaking as a e-cig user i had no intentions of quitting,it is a safer alternative .
as for all the bs scaremongering it's just like a daily mail head line .

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
haveing tried a couple of different flavoured liquids some definately do have a slight aroma and some dont ,certainly not unpleasant like cig smoke , the fruit flavoured liquids ive tried smell just like the fruit , the tabacco ones are a bit more noticable

I have never seen anyone using one.

QuickMist Mouth Spray 1mg nicotine/spray
Propylene glycol
Anhydrous ethanol
Trometamol
Poloxamer 407
Glycerol
Sodium hydrogen carbonate
Levomenthol
Mint flavour
Cooling flavour
Sucralose
Acesulfame potassium
Hydrochloric acid
Purified water
far more chemicals than my ecig i mix my own e juice pharma grade ingredients
propylene glycol 40%
vegetable glycerine 50%
nicotine 1.2% (12mg)
flavorings make up the rest

Last edited:

Paul99

Über Member
The fact is they dont know if they are harmful or not because no research has been done. Who knows if nicotine on its own is dangerous or not.

to many people ie non smoking nimbys would be up in arms if people are allowed to use them as a medicine, and some would he using them as a excuse to smoke in place they cant at the moment
There have been studies done and nicotine is only dangerous if consumed in large quantities. There are plenty of vegetables that are sources of nicotine that people eat regularly, i haven't seen any reports of aubergine related nicotine deaths yet.

E Cigs are not as safe as some might think. :-

From :- http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/10-chem...nia-prop-65-list-carcinogens-and-reproductive

California's landmark Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was enacted as a ballot initiative in November 1986. The Proposition was intended by its authors to protect California citizens and the State's drinking water sources from chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm, and to inform citizens about exposures to such chemicals.

Proposition 65 requires the Governor to publish, at least annually, a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.

Products containing chemicals on the Proposition 65 list are required to carry the following warning in California: "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

The following compounds that are on the Proposition 65 list have already been identified in mainstream or secondhand (sidestream) e-cigarette vapor:

Acetaldehyde (MS)
Benzene (SS)
Cadmium (MS)
Formaldehyde (MS,SS)
Isoprene (SS)
Lead (MS)
Nickel (MS)
Nicotine (MS, SS)
N-Nitrosonornicotine (MS, SS)
Toluene (MS, SS)

As the two papers linked above note, there are other toxic chemicals in the vapor as well as ultrafine particles, that likely have cardiovascular effects.

E-cigarettes do not deliver "pure nicotine" and "harmless water vapor."

Just remember, Asbestos was once a space age super product that was the answer to many things.....
the e-cigs that were used in this study i believe were the over the counter variety produced by the big tobacco companies, so it's not surprising that they are full of crap chemicals.

Most vapers are using eliquids produced here in the UK, and are as safe as they come. The ingredients used in them are used in plenty of everyday foods and things like asthma inhalers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
Food flavourings
Nicotine

Obviously the addictive nature of nicotine is the bad apple in eliquid, but it is much, much safer to get your fix vaping than it is to smoke regular cigs.

@Dave the Smeghead you are far more likely to be harmed by the fumes from cars when walking down the street than you are by an e-cig.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There have been studies done and nicotine is only dangerous if consumed in large quantities. There are plenty of vegetables that are sources of nicotine that people eat regularly, i haven't seen any reports of aubergine related nicotine deaths yet.

the e-cigs that were used in this study i believe were the over the counter variety produced by the big tobacco companies, so it's not surprising that they are full of crap chemicals.

Most vapers are using eliquids produced here in the UK, and are as safe as they come. The ingredients used in them are used in plenty of everyday foods and things like asthma inhalers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
Food flavourings
Nicotine

Obviously the addictive nature of nicotine is the bad apple in eliquid, but it is much, much safer to get your fix vaping than it is to smoke regular cigs.

@Dave the Smeghead you are far more likely to be harmed by the fumes from cars when walking down the street than you are by an e-cig.

I take it you don't like vegetables very much :laugh:

Peteaud

Veteran

I agree with you, however, my worry is that Vaping will run alongside smoking, thus creating a whole bunch addicted to Nicotine. I don't care how "safe" nicotine is, it is still an addiction.

Simmer

Some of the advertising at the moment is glamorising Vaping, which is one thing I don't like. reminds me of the old cigarette ad's. For smokers wanting to reduce the amount they smoke, or to be used as a quitting aid they are great, but to promote them to none smokers as this cool new thing.... no.

There's the VIP "I want to put it in my mouth" .. oooeeeerrr and the then from British American Tobacco who are behind Vype we have

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quAMUXNeY6Y

Top Bottom