Those Electric Cigarette Thingys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think they would like them to be a medicinal alternative, then they wouldn't be treated like normal cigarettes.

Colin B

Surely if manufacturers are selling ecigs as an alternative cigarette rather than medicinal alternative to a cigarette then they should be treated the same as a real one?
Why would they be treated as a normal cig tmk nicotine is not a carcinogen and an ecig doesnt contain the poisons such as arsenic that a cig does . The o my reason they want it as a Medicine is so they can charge silly money for it like patches

welsh dragon

Why would they be treated as a normal cig tmk nicotine is not a carcinogen and an ecig doesnt contain the poisons such as arsenic that a cig does . The o my reason they want it as a Medicine is so they can charge silly money for it like patches

The fact is they dont know if they are harmful or not because no research has been done. Who knows if nicotine on its own is dangerous or not.
Also if it was treated as a Medicine they couldnt enforce a ban surely because you can't stop someone taking medicine

to many people ie non smoking nimbys would be up in arms if people are allowed to use them as a medicine, and some would he using them as a excuse to smoke in place they cant at the moment

Colin B

I treat mine like a cig I still go outside to use it. I figure by the end of this year I will be off it fully but getting g back to the op I won't have it they stink cos it simy ain't true my wife don't smoke and even she said they don't

migrantwing

Veteran
Agreed! They don't smell at all. There are plenty of non-smokers around me and I've asked them about it and they've all said that there is no smell.

I smoke, have done for over 25 years. I used to smoke Marlboro Reds but the eventual price (nearly £9 for 20) turned me on to roll ups. I've tried various nicotine replacements such as gum and patches, Niquitin mints etc, all to no avail. I've been using an e-cig (highest dosage of 16mg nicotine) for a fair few months now and, although it does help with cravings, it doesn't really kill the craving completely. I tried the cold turkey treatment last week and managed about 15 hours before finally succumbing and running to the Tobacco kiosk at ASDA when doing my grocery shopping. It's definitely just as much a mental battle as a physical one. Evil b**tard things!

Well done and my utmost respect for those who have quit!

Colin B

I smoke, have done for over 25 years. I used to smoke Marlboro Reds but the eventual price (nearly £9 for 20) turned me on to roll ups. I've tried various nicotine replacements such as gum and patches, Niquitin mints etc, all to no avail. I've been using an e-cig (highest dosage of 16mg nicotine) for a fair few months now and, although it does help with cravings, it doesn't really kill the craving completely. I tried the cold turkey treatment last week and managed about 15 hours before finally succumbing and running to the Tobacco kiosk at ASDA when doing my grocery shopping. Evil b**tard things!
They sell 24 mg mate that should help

welsh dragon

Agreed! They don't smell at all. There are plenty of non-smokers around me and I've asked them about it and they've all said that there is no smell.

I smoke, have done for over 25 years. I used to smoke Marlboro Reds but the eventual price (nearly £9 for 20) turned me on to roll ups. I've tried various nicotine replacements such as gum and patches, Niquitin mints etc, all to no avail. I've been using an e-cig (highest dosage of 16mg nicotine) for a fair few months now and, although it does help with cravings, it doesn't really kill the craving completely. I tried the cold turkey treatment last week and managed about 15 hours before finally succumbing and running to the Tobacco kiosk at ASDA when doing my grocery shopping. Evil b**tard things!

You have to reallly really want to give up. There will come a time when that happens. Until then don't give up giving up. Hang on in there

Colin B

Oh forgot to add also don't smoke it like a normal cig take longer steady draws and do it for around 12 minutes again this should help

migrantwing

Veteran
You have to reallly really want to give up. There will come a time when that happens. Until then don't give up giving up. Hang on in there

Agreed, welsh dragon. I'm at that point, or thereabouts. For me, I think it's purely habit and if I try to go without my brain keeps on with those 'you know you're missing it' mind games. It's also down to moments of boredom and concentration with me.

I aim to quit before I hit 40. 38 and counting... :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Agreed, welsh dragon. I'm at that point, or thereabouts. For me, I think it's purely habit and if I try to go without my brain keeps on with those 'you know you're missing it' mind games. It's also down to moments of boredom and concentration with me.

I aim to quit before I hit 40. 38 and counting... :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:

Anytime.:thumbsup:

Colin B

Didn't know that. Cheers, Colin!
Your first reaction when buying one is to treat it like a real one mate I did it and got a sore throat , but once you take longer steady draws and dont on it so hard it does the job inhaling isn't really needed either as the nicotine e is absorbed Immediately into your cheeks it never gets to the lungs like smoke does so basically holding the vapour in your mouth does the same but feel free to Inhale . Also try cutting two together like apple with Virginia that way your taking the taste away also keep going at high strength then buy one at lower then two and so on till you've dropped strength the repeat when you feel you can.

Oh and sorry to op for kinda highjacking the thread

Peteaud

Veteran
Only read OP so far but as far as I'm aware nicotine is odourless so don't get where the smell is coming from cos the smell from a real cig is tobacco .
Doing well you any harm I doubt it because the nicotine is delivered via a vapour unlike a cig and the nicotine e is absorbed Instanly into the Inside of the cheek so all that's being exhaled is vapour .
Right that's my 2 cents I'll go read the rest

E Cigs are not as safe as some might think. :-

From :- http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/10-chem...nia-prop-65-list-carcinogens-and-reproductive

California's landmark Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was enacted as a ballot initiative in November 1986. The Proposition was intended by its authors to protect California citizens and the State's drinking water sources from chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm, and to inform citizens about exposures to such chemicals.

Proposition 65 requires the Governor to publish, at least annually, a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.

Products containing chemicals on the Proposition 65 list are required to carry the following warning in California: "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

The following compounds that are on the Proposition 65 list have already been identified in mainstream or secondhand (sidestream) e-cigarette vapor:

Acetaldehyde (MS)
Benzene (SS)
Cadmium (MS)
Formaldehyde (MS,SS)
Isoprene (SS)
Lead (MS)
Nickel (MS)
Nicotine (MS, SS)
N-Nitrosonornicotine (MS, SS)
Toluene (MS, SS)

As the two papers linked above note, there are other toxic chemicals in the vapor as well as ultrafine particles, that likely have cardiovascular effects.

E-cigarettes do not deliver "pure nicotine" and "harmless water vapor."

Just remember, Asbestos was once a space age super product that was the answer to many things.....

Top Bottom