Three ringed chainset carbon frame and around 1200 quid bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm still on the lookout for a new bike. I'm limited to around £1200. Can anyone recommend a bike that has a carbon frame and a three ringed chainset. I wont use the smallest ring that much but it's nice to have it there just in case when struggling uphill:blush:. Thanks in advance for any replies!:thumbsup:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have the Scott CR1 10 triple and love it, best bike I have ever had, very comfy and great at soaking up the miles, I did the 150mile coast to coast last month on mine and didn't have one ache at the end.
What they do also is the CR1 30 which has a budget wheelset and sora components but most importantly the same excellent frame, making up grades later on easy to do.
At £1199.00 its right on your budget
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/cr1-30-triple-2014-road-bike-ec054448

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
A "Triple" chainset is what you require, and the specific Dolan you have looked at does not seem to have a Triple Option. I can't seem to configure any Triples for some reason on their site - I would call them or drop them a line.

Robeh

i would look for a frameset with a 50/34TCompact chainset and a 30/12T cassete.
which will mean you dont need a tripple chainset and you should be able to climb hills easily..
i have a tripple on one off my bikes,and also have the above on another and i prefer the compact.

bike below is a good example..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114089.

or for a little more money..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-pro-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114087

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A standard "compact" as described above will give you a climbing gear of 34/30, while for more cost and added weight a road triple will give you 30/30, so you might as well go for the standard compact as there will be much more choice of bikes. If, as you say, you won't be using the small ring except in emergencies, why bother? 34/30 or even 34/27 is plenty low enough for most British hills.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
i would look for a frameset with a 50/34TCompact chainset and a 30/12T cassete.
which will mean you dont need a tripple chainset and you should be able to climb hills easily..
i have a tripple on one off my bikes,and also have the above on another and i prefer the compact.

bike below is a good example..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114089.

or for a little more money..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-pro-road-bike-2014/rp-prod114087

That Cube looks nice i think they have it for sale in my LBS? So that'd do the same as a triple and not just nearly the same then? Also can i ask,is the second more expensive bike worth the extra 200 quid and if so why?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A standard "compact" as described above will give you a climbing gear of 34/30, while for more cost and added weight a road triple will give you 30/30, so you might as well go for the standard compact as there will be much more choice of bikes. If, as you say, you won't be using the small ring except in emergencies, why bother? 34/30 or even 34/27 is plenty low enough for most British hills.

Serious question,would it be suitable for the likes of this? http://cyclinguphill.com/nick-o-pendle/ I'm knackered on my triple set when i've done this in the past, i don't want to make life harder!:heat:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
16% should be reasonably easy on a 34/30 or 34/28. It's when they get to 20 and 25% you'll start to struggle and stand up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Serious question,would it be suitable for the likes of this? http://cyclinguphill.com/nick-o-pendle/ I'm knackered on my triple set when i've done this in the past, i don't want to make life harder!:heat:

I ride The Nick on a compact double with 34/27; I'm 58 and I weight just over 11 stone or 72 kilos so I guess that in comparison with some other amateur riders I find climbing easy! It's a long boring climb but manageable with those gears, standing up part of the way. However if you wanted to spin easily up it in a relaxed way you'd do better with a triple, yes. How fit are you and what weight?

Even the north side of Jeffrey Hill is doable with a compact double but not with much style! Some folk will tackle Rawson's Raike in Ramsbottom on a compact double but I've only ever ridden that one on a mountain bike with something ridiculous like a 24/32, which just becomes an exercise in cardiovascular stamina..

Robeh

That Cube looks nice i think they have it for sale in my LBS? So that'd do the same as a triple and not just nearly the same then? Also can i ask,is the second more expensive bike worth the extra 200 quid and if so why?
A compact chainset with a 28or 30T cassete should enable you to climb most hills,your Age,fitness and weight might be holding you back.in my case im about 14 stone and im 48 so hill climbing is not my strong point lol.which is what Globalti is saying.
As for the more expensive cube it has a better groupset fited to it and out off the 2 bikes, if it was me that would be the bike i would go for.it dosent say what cassete is fitted on,but im sure you could arange with chain reaction to have a 30/12T fitted which imo will give the gearing you need..
if however you want a triple chainset then do a search and find one in your price range:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I ride The Nick on a compact double with 34/27; I'm 58 and I weight just over 11 stone or 72 kilos so I guess that in comparison with some other amateur riders I find climbing easy! It's a long boring climb but manageable with those gears, standing up part of the way. However if you wanted to spin easily up it in a relaxed way you'd do better with a triple, yes. How fit are you and what weight?

Even the north side of Jeffrey Hill is doable with a compact double but not with much style! Some folk will tackle Rawson's Raike in Ramsbottom on a compact double but I've only ever ridden that one on a mountain bike with something ridiculous like a 24/32, which just becomes an exercise in cardiovascular stamina..

I'm 53 reasonably fit and weigh just under 11 stone. Don't get me wrong i'm not in to spinning lower gears i've always preferred a low cadence, i'd rather put the effort in to go further rather than peddle fast to achieve less,but i think i'm going to look for a triple set peace of mind and all that.

mark c

Über Member
When i got my Giant Defy 4 i opted for the Triple and i,m very happy with my choice, like you it was mainly for peace of mind. Although i have started making some changes, The Original cassette was changed from a 28 to a 32t at the first service and i,m thinking of changing the front chainset from a 30/42/52 to a 28/38/48 as i find i never use the 52 ring.

Top Bottom