Time to close the books.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why have riden to Bishkek ? ,Nice symmetry in the total
Just checked my veloviewer and I've made it to Papeete French Polynesia
I cheated and started 100 miles south of my usual location which gets me to island off Chile :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do my totals on a weekly basis, so from Monday 28th December 2020 to Sunday 26th December 2021 my total cycling miles was 9442.41 (I love the accuracy of a Garmin!).
It might be telling you the numbers to 2 decimal places, but there is now way that it is that accurate! I reckon that mine is within about +/- 0.5%. Routes that I have carefully measured on maps usually come to within a few hundred metres over 100 km.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Why have riden to Bishkek ? ,Nice symmetry in the total
Just checked my veloviewer and I've made it to Papeete French Polynesia
My plan was 4000 miles for the year but injury and a massive bout of depression stopped play. I aimed, last night, for 23 miles, just to hit the 3,333 mark as I found it pleasing to do so.
Bishkek just happened, via Veloviewer. I didn’t choose it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Reading through this thread, it amazes me the number of cyclists who must be recording every single ride on Strava, Garmin, or whatever. Seriously? Does no-one else just jump on their bike for a casual ride without switching on a GPS? To visit people not very far away? Or go to the shops? Post a letter?
My Garmin mileage for the year was 1995. So another 500 miles just pottering about doing the above mentioned rides. Mileages are recorded on CatEye Strada computers on my bikes. It means I don't miss any miles!

Alex321

Veteran
Reading through this thread, it amazes me the number of cyclists who must be recording every single ride on Strava, Garmin, or whatever. Seriously? Does no-one else just jump on their bike for a casual ride without switching on a GPS? To visit people not very far away? Or go to the shops? Post a letter?
My Garmin mileage for the year was 1995. So another 500 miles just pottering about doing the above mentioned rides. Mileages are recorded on CatEye Strada computers on my bikes. It means I don't miss any miles!
When I "go for a ride" I always take my Wahoo and turn it on. When I just pop round to the garage for the newspaper (about half a mile each way), I don't. And that is 5-6 times a week, so it probably adds up to another couple of hundred uncounted miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pretty much, if I’m only going a mile say wherever, I’d usually walk anyhow. Postbox is about a 5 minute walk, not going to get dressed and bike out for that

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pretty much, if I’m only going a mile say wherever, I’d usually walk anyhow. Postbox is about a 5 minute walk, not going to get dressed and bike out for that
I don't "get dressed" (I assume you mean cycle specific clothing, and not that you wander naked to the post box!) for short rides anyway.. double sided pedals on all but the road bike mean I can happily toddle off on the bike in "normal" attire.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't "get dressed" (I assume you mean cycle specific clothing, and not that you wander naked to the post box!) for short rides anyway.. double sided pedals on all but the road bike mean I can happily toddle off on the bike in "normal" attire.
I mostly wear loose fitting jogging trousers at home (when working or generally) which aren’t good for cycling especially in colder weather, so I would need to change. If I walk, I don’t need to. If I don’t wear cycling kit, I would only wear skinny jeans, but I do rarely as I don’t want them covered in muck.
Footwear not a consideration as all my pedals are flat these days. If it’s raining, I’d walk with a brolly, not cycle

Reactions: C R

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I hop on my bike to pop to my gym, go to the spar shop and whatnot. Ride into town and back. I certainly don’t record those. I often use the city bike hire scheme and don’t record those, ever. It’s just fitness rides that I record, not popping to a mates house rides.

Reactions: C R

Scaleyback

Veteran
Well, I have had a minimum target of 4,000 miles for quite a few years now and I have surpassed that every year since 2016 with a high of 5301 in 2017 (when I was 70)
This year I have failed ! only managing 3861 miles. Extenuating circumstances as we lost our lovely beagle 3 weeks ago and I lost my MoJo.
I'm 75 in 8 days time and I will certainly do lesser miles from now on as with no plans for another dog I shall spend more time walking with my wife. Previously my wife did the bulk of the dog walking (probably 2 hours a day) while I was out cycling.
Happy new year to all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom