Tips for Health and Well-being

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Bizarre as it may sound, I'm increasingly convinced that good oral hygiene is the key to good health and longevity. My cycling buddy, a gastroenterologist, confirms that it's true but for some reason the public is not well educated in this aspect of personal hygiene. Poor oral hygiene means rotting food waste and gum disease, meaning that bacteria are entering your bloodstream and you are constantly swallowing bacteria from rotting food, which of course is dealt with by stomach acid but not much is known about the long-term effect on the gut flora. Using floss, inter-dental brushes and an electric toothbrush twice a day sets you up nice and fresh, you don't have bad breath, you don't wake with a horrible taste in your mouth and you feel great.

Oh, and if you floss after your evening meal it helps you to avoid the temptation to snack during the evening.

Agree that oral health is likely linked to health more generally, but there's very little evidence to show any value for flossing.

US gov guidelines dropped flossing from its advice recently and the NHS is revisiting its guidelines too.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Over the course of the last three weeks, I've been taking unfiltered, organic cider vinegar and it is wonderful stuff.

The benefits are many:

- it will help you lose weight, you'll sleep better, you'll feel that you have more energy throughout the day, it'll cure baldness (if rubbed on the scalp), it'll make you irresistible to women, it'll improve your eyesight and you'll have no more in-growing toenails.

Okay, I might be exaggerating about the ingrowing toenails, but it is good stuff.

It has to be taken diluted with water - and it tastes absolutely foul, so you just know that it must be doing you good.

I swear by it :whistle:.

So what are your tips, to promote/ensure your health and well-being ?
Sounds like you need to wait for it to turn to vinegar first...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So what are your tips, to promote/ensure your health and well-being ?
Not to give a F about anybody else dramas works wonders, that and a wee afternoon snooze in my days off :okay:
My tip? Hang out with old people. It makes you feel young.
Or hang out with young people, you forget you are old!
Friends, self sufficiency and an analysed life.
Haven't got any pals and analyzing my life would probably lead to the psychiatrist.
One out of tree for me then ^_^

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My tip? Hang out with old people. It makes you feel young.
Absolutely. And, not only do you not have to go to loads of funerals, you get a good turnout at your own!

Damn, just realised I got it the wrong way round!

Bariton

Over the course of the last three weeks, I've been taking unfiltered, organic cider vinegar and it is wonderful stuff.

I've been taking organic cider vinegar with a teaspoon of raw honey in warm water every morning for a while now, I'm assured it will work wonders for my arthritic hands. After six months, I can't say my arthritis has got any better, but it hasn't got any worse! :cuppa:

ayceejay

Guru
I haven't been taking organic cider vinegar with a teaspoon of raw honey in warm water every morning for a while now, I'm assured it will work wonders for my arthritic hands. After six months, I can't say my arthritis has got any better, but it hasn't got any worse!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Drink a small glass(about the same amount as a double whiskey,vodka etc)of extra virgin olive oil a day. If you find the taste bad or can't swallow it fully, then wash it down immediately with a glass of hot or very warm water.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Drink a small glass(about the same amount as a double whiskey,vodka etc)of extra virgin olive oil a day. If you find the taste bad or can't swallow it fully, then wash it down immediately with a glass of hot or very warm water.

But what are the benefits ?

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
But what are the benefits ?
That fella Michael Mosely was banging on about it on one of his programmes a while back, it was to do with the Mediterranean diet and IIRC bottom line stated that they didn't know quite why, but that olive oil and only olive oil (not rapeseed, sunflower etc) contributed to the lower rate of heart problems and such forth. At the end in his summary he suggested that even though nobody was certain why, a few mils of the stuff was on balance probably "a good thing" and that it could simply be drunk if you didn't use it elsewhere.
Bit of a ratbag if you are calorie counting mind you, any form of Oil is about as bad as you can get for cals to quantity.

Top Bottom