Tips for Health and Well-being

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Drink a small glass(about the same amount as a double whiskey,vodka etc)of extra virgin olive oil a day. If you find the taste bad or can't swallow it fully, then wash it down immediately with a glass of hot or very warm water.

I've been doing this for the last 11 months as part of my dietary improvement following a heart attack.

20ml is the recommendation which I take at breakfast time. Becoming a bit of an expert on the different flavours of olive oil.

I'm going to buy some cider vinegar today though we have used this off and on for years on salads etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Erm ... would it not be better (tastier too) having a salad with olive oil a day instead of chips every day?

Exactly. I think the benefit comes when you eat a Mediterranean diet INSTEAD of the standard northern European diet of fats, carbs and preserved foods like bacon.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Exactly. I think the benefit comes when you eat a Mediterranean diet INSTEAD of the standard northern European diet of fats, carbs and preserved foods like bacon.

I think overall this is true but is not practical in Northern Europe. The argument for taking olive oil is that it is a major component of a Mediterranean diet and therefore 20ml/day will impart some of the benefits associated with this diet.

Personally I've reduced my meat intake and upped pulses and vegetables. My wife complains about the pulses due to the unfortunate side effect on her bowels!!!

subaqua

What’s the point
I think overall this is true but is not practical in Northern Europe. The argument for taking olive oil is that it is a major component of a Mediterranean diet and therefore 20ml/day will impart some of the benefits associated with this diet.

Personally I've reduced my meat intake and upped pulses and vegetables. My wife complains about the pulses due to the unfortunate side effect on MY bowels!!!

FTFY.

love pulses hate the gas attacks later. ( are cannelini beans pulses ? or Legumes ? I love them in a tomato sauce with Cod)

Big fan of oily fish here. would eat fresh caught Mackerel every day.

with a nice dressed salad made with a cider viniagrette. i started eating this quite often after i got back from holibobs this year. i have lost a stone so far. and 2 inches off waist.
blood pressure is lower,
rides are getting quicker.

might be not drinking in the week and swimming 4 times a week for 30 minutes as well.

who cares I feel fecking marvelous

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Personally I've reduced my meat intake and upped pulses and vegetables. My wife complains about the pulses due to the unfortunate side effect on her bowels!!!

Exactly. Olive oil in itself is not a silver bullet. Consumption needs to be a by-product of adopting a Mediterranean diet and it's that diet change that provides the benefit.

Eating Steak Pudding and Chips, washed down with olive oil is a waste of time

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think having an optimistic look on life and not worrying about things you have no control over helps too. It is all in your mind.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And there's emerging evidence that the diet itself may not be the thing that provides the benefits - but the wider lifestyle. As lifestyles in the Med change then the health of those living there is changing.
You beat me to it: I was going to post that getting sloshed every weekend since the age of 13 is not a health British habit.
Then again, most of us from the Med smoke, but I believe this has changed in the last 20 years or so.

Top Bottom