Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not today, but last week on one of my little pootles out I ended up travelling along Chertsey Lane (now underwater..). Having passed a bus in the bus stop, it pulled out behind me and stayed well back for 1/2 mile, then passed really nice and wide, not pulling back in until the driver noted me in his wing mirror. Deserved an email to the bus Co, and they responded today saying they will pass my thanks to the driver, and how nice it is to receive a positive message about their drivers....

crazyjoe101

[QUOTE 2876944, member: 1314"]I've stopped posting here because I have so many good drivers - giving way, being patient, stopping their
maonoeurve until safe etc - that I would just be posting here too much.[/quote]

Indeed. I suppose we'd better change the name to "Today a great driver did this."

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I made a rare excursion into central Bristol today for a team meeting. The riding is very different to my normal country roads commute, not as fast due to slow traffic, and you need to keep your wits well about you as there are lots more hazards about in the city.

On the way back up Stokes Croft I was approaching a van parked on double yellows in the cycle lane. The bus driver approaching behind me waved me out round it rather than pushing me over to a stop. Gave him a big smile and thumbs up :thumbsup: !

uclown2002

Guru
I got a puncture 2 miles from home and thought I'd just walk it instead of trying a roadside repair in the crap weather. A motorist in small van pulled over and offered me a ride home. Happened to be a fellow cyclist but even so, still a nice gesture. :thumbsup:

MichaelO

Veteran
OK, so I was knocked off today - not great, but a superb driver held up the traffic & let me cross this nightmare junction (I would have gone via Chipstead, had I not been sent sliding across the road 10 miles earlier..!)
http://goo.gl/maps/kklxl

crazyjoe101

I've just had a nightmare 44mi ride in constant rain, tons of surface water and about 5 very negative incidents with drivers and a cyclist, much of teh route was new to me too.

Aside from that I met a bunch of nice patient drivers on a single lane road somewhere in Kent who I stopped to let past when safe, as well as those waiting for me to get up a hill, clear a corner or get through a flooded road. Best of all was the HGV driver who left me a massive stopping distance along a dual carriageway and then let me change lanes before a roundabout, his lorry was twice the size of the one which undertook me on the roundabout (leaving at the same exit) and he still managed to use the right lane.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I have had my first impressive driver today, blue VW people carrier along Blake Hall Road, hung back and gave me and the cyclist in front of me plenty of room, and then when overtaking did so with plenty of room, even though we were in a cycle lane.

After all the traffic and inconsideration lately this was very welcome (so welcome in fact that I wanted to send them some chocolates as a thanks).

A big thumbs up :thumbsup:

compo

Veteran
Riding towards an area of flooded road this morning an approaching WVM stopped and flashed me through so he wouldn't half drown me with spray. A big thumbs up from me. I still have the belief, despite tales of doom and gloom, that the majority of drivers are just normal decent people. I do admit that my opinion may be a bit slewed by my rarely cycling in big cities though.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was riding along a country road when I came across some road work and temporary traffic light control as one side of the road is closed. I was bit far away when light changed to green to let me go. As light is green, I entered the road. When I reached the end, I looked at the traffic light and it was still green. Drivers waiting saw me checking the traffic light and we all shared a smile and thumbs up sign.
It is such a pleasure to share the road, respect each other and enjoy riding (me) and driving (them).

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Riding towards an area of flooded road this morning an approaching WVM stopped and flashed me through so he wouldn't half drown me with spray. A big thumbs up from me. I still have the belief, despite tales of doom and gloom, that the majority of drivers are just normal decent people. I do admit that my opinion may be a bit slewed by my rarely cycling in big cities though.
Good for him! :thumbsup: I had a commute following some heavy rain one morning, in which I had to ride through a very large puddle on a road. A 4WD overtook me in the lane to my right, and sent a large wall of water over and on top of me, like being dunked with an enormous bucket of water :laugh:. I had to laugh at that, even though the motorist could have slowed down, because it was pretty amusing.

sheffgirl

I have to say I have been pleased by the standard of driving on my new commute. Despite quite a few stretches which are 50mph or NSL, I am finding it less scary than driving closer to the city. Lots of nice wide passes and hardly any overtakes at traffic islands :smile:

GuardTwin

On my way home at a red light, I look around to meet eye contact with drivers behind me so I am ensured they noticed me and I can guess their intentions when I notice the distance between me and the car behind But I had a nice wave and a smile with a "How are you." kinda of gesture! You can not see him in the video but he was very friendly and made my day!

sheffgirl

I had a nice van driver last week. He/ she hung back instead of passing me closely, I gave them a big smile in appreciation when they finally passed me when the road was wider. Looked up to see them briefly switch their hazard lights on in response, which was nice :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
Had a visit from her ladyship (p*nc*ure fairy) on Friday morning while commuting to work.

While I was doing a tube change a gold VW Golf travelling in the opposite direction stopped and the lady driver asked if I needed assistance? Thankfully I was just about to set off but thanked the driver for her kind offer. At the time I had no idea who the lady was and I was mildly intrigued.

Nipped in to Tesco this morning for milk and a little girl ran up to me and asked if I had got to work on Friday all right? A little bemused I said 'Yes.' The girl then said "We see you almost every morning on the way to school and have done so for ages. We play a game where we try and guess what colour jacket you will have on and whether you will be in front of or behind the man on the mountain bike." The girl then skipped away. Of course I followed and I did the honourable thing thanking the driver in person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom