Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Had a visit from her ladyship (p*nc*ure fairy) on Friday morning while commuting to work.

While I was doing a tube change a gold VW Golf travelling in the opposite direction stopped and the lady driver asked if I needed assistance? Thankfully I was just about to set off but thanked the driver for her kind offer. At the time I had no idea who the lady was and I was mildly intrigued.

Nipped in to Tesco this morning for milk and a little girl ran up to me and asked if I had got to work on Friday all right? A little bemused I said 'Yes.' The girl then said "We see you almost every morning on the way to school and have done so for ages. We play a game where we try and guess what colour jacket you will have on and whether you will be in front of or behind the man on the mountain bike." The girl then skipped away. Of course I followed and I did the honourable thing thanking the driver in person.

That's adorable. Love kids like that.

Reactions: ACS

Krellon

Not all drivers are bad :smile:

This nice white van driver gave me loads of space for which i'm eternally grateful! Shame he nearly took the on coming car out :sad:

View: http://youtu.be/qV6o3FxKe_s

Br

joggingbob

Commuting to work this morning in a cycle lane, (the road used to be a dual carriageway, and has since been converted to one lane as a cycle lane and hazard lines for segration and one lane for other road users). As I approached the next junction on my left two cars were eager to join 'my' road and had blocked the cycle lane. Rather than forcing me to stop / slow / move to the traffic congested lane they reversed to clear the cycle lane. Somewhat surprised but a thumbs up and thank you by me as I went by.

Nice ride today with all-but-one giving me plenty of space and patience, especially on Norton Lane, which is quite busy but winding with narrow lanes.I always cringe when driving instructors pass dangerously so it was nice that an instructor (L car with one occupant) was patient and waited for a safe place to pass. All I could do was try to pedal a little faster being aware of a few cars behind, all ow which behaved save for the last one which had to accellerate hard then brake hard to try to get to the RAB first, then pull close left to block me from passing - the problem with that is that he hadn't completely passed me!

But save for that, given that much of my ride a little later on was football traffic (busy and everyone pre-occupied with getting to the limited prime parking spaces first) everyone else was remarkably well behaved.

Even the bad ones like the car coming out of a one way street the wrong way on a light controlled junction which stopped and waited :blink:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Riding up Dale Road in Southampton, towards Winchester Road and there was a long line of cars waiting for the lights... usually I go up the left and enter the filter lane at the top to get off this horrendous hill. However today someone inconsiderately parked their car (double yellows) and I couldnt get through. Looking ahead I could see the lights had just changed red at the top and there was a gap further up between cars.

I headed up the right and suddenly realised the drivers had all decided to close the gaps in anticipation of the lights.Thankfully one driver realised what I was up to and let me back in.... I headed across and up the left and then realised ANOTHER bugger had parked on the double yellows. Said driver was patient and let me around the plonker.

Then later I was in a right turn lane and everyday pretty much a driver will flash me across.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
2 Bristol & Avon muck away tipper trucks, big thumping orrible mucky HGV site wagons, southbound on the A38 this morning.

BOTH waited patiently for a nice wide bit of road and gave me a beautiful amount of space this morning.

Most refreshing.

KneesUp

Guru
At the bottom of the big hill, a white van driver coming the other way stopped and signalled for me to make my right turn so I didn't lose momentum or get stuck in the middle of the road, which is quite narrow and busy at that point. Top work, white van chap.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Nice patient & wide pass by Iceland lorry this morning.

MarkF

Guru
Today I coasted downhill, to some red lights at a junction. I thought about stopping in the middle of the ASL box like I normally do but being a lazy arse I went to the kerb and held the railings, saved me getting out of the cages. Sure enough a VW Touran pulled right alongside me and right to the edge of the box. He had his windows down so I informed of the error of his ways.

The lights went green, I set off, he let me go, that was nice of him. He pulled out wide to pass me, even nicer, he pulled out so far that he was on the wrong side of the road, I could see him looking at me in his mirror. He went through the junction and crashed head on into car that had just emerged from a side road to turn left towards it. :wacko:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Today I coasted downhill, to some red lights at a junction. I thought about stopping in the middle of the ASL box like I normally do but being a lazy arse I went to the kerb and held the railings, saved me getting out of the cages. Sure enough a VW Touran pulled right alongside me and right to the edge of the box. He had his windows down so I informed of the error of his ways.

The lights went green, I set off, he let me go, that was nice of him. He pulled out wide to pass me, even nicer, he pulled out so far that he was on the wrong side of the road, I could see him looking at me in his mirror. He went through the junction and crashed head on into car that had just emerged from a side road to turn left towards it. :wacko:

Oh dear. Hope no one was injured.

Ganymede

Veteran

Perhaps this ought to be in a thread called "today a Well-Meaning Driver did this".... :rolleyes:

Ganymede

Veteran
Majestically wide pass today from a huge TNT lorry. Truly majestic. I waved a lot and am going to email the company with my praise.

I was cycling the A229 from Cranbrook to Staplehurst, never done it before (only bits of it on other journeys) and the downhill bit through the woods is fairly alarming. Apart from one "I don't see why I should put my brakes on for a cyclist so I'll overtake at high speed on this blind downhill bend and narrowly miss an oncoming car" moment from another truck, it was a great ride with almost everyone giving me loads of space and a few smiles and waves. Yay!

Tin Pot

Guru
Loads of good drivers today; wide passing, pausing rather than passing at islands, not pulling out in front of me, basically courteous on virtually all counts.

One cyclist nearly scythed my head off flinging this arm out to indicate as I was about to pass him though.

David Higson

i always think the people that give really wide berths are cyclists themselves

That may be true but the Post Office taught me to drive and it was instilled in me during instruction that cyclists were to be given room and that you had to drive to protect them from other traffic. I suppose that since, at the time, the PO had a sizeable fleet of bikes this made sense tp PO instructors but I've never forgotten and always drive with cyclists in mind. When I'm riding my bike, I ride with other vehicle drivers and road users in mind - it's only fair.

Top Bottom