Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I don't know about that but there are certainly good days and bad ones.

You may be right - though today I did a similar distance to my usual commute (going to see the ageds - I think of this as my "domestic commute") and I didn't even have to suck my teeth sorrowfully once. And where I live is all winding lanes with blind corners!

I was in the back of a London cab last night visiting the big smoke and was pleasantly surprised! First off was spotting the sticker on his window to passengers to watch for cyclists when opening the door, next his wide over takes around cyclists and hanging back instead of squeezing past. He got a nice tip and compliments on his driving around cyclists, where he explained he used to ride motorbikes so knew how it feels, he seemed quite chuffed.
They aren't all homicidal grumpy old barstewards!!!! I'm shocked! :ohmy: ^_^

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
I was in the back of a London cab last night visiting the big smoke and was pleasantly surprised! First off was spotting the sticker on his window to passengers to watch for cyclists when opening the door, next his wide over takes around cyclists and hanging back instead of squeezing past. He got a nice tip and compliments on his driving around cyclists, where he explained he used to ride motorbikes so knew how it feels, he seemed quite chuffed.

I liked your post when I read it but I unliked it after watching the video because I thought the video doesn't belong in this thread. Not sure why you posted it when we all know about the bad stuff - this thread is supposed to be celebrating good driving. I'm really pleased to hear about the nice cabbie with the cycle-awareness though.

I liked your post when I read it but I unliked it after watching the video because I thought the video doesn't belong in this thread. Not sure why you posted it when we all know about the bad stuff - this thread is supposed to be celebrating good driving. I'm really pleased to hear about the nice cabbie with the cycle-awareness though.
Well, that's true. It's a video by this threads starter Gaz, I suppose its just what I was expecting.
Sorry, don't watch the video...its sneaky, he doesn't really love taxi drivers.

EDIT....there you go

Last edited:

GuardTwin

I saw High Tower from police academy on his motorbike, I passed him and stopped in the bike lane at the red, I put my arm out to indicate im turning right and instead of the bike zooming passed like alot of people do and cutting me up (cars/bikes/vans) he stood back forcing cars behind him to not pass him down this narrow arse road. He had space to pass if he so wanted but nope. When the road was wider I flagged him passed and at the next red light I had a little chat with him and said thanks for sticking back.

Ganymede

Veteran

Hello again Semislickstick, thanks for deleting the vid, sorry I didn't notice earlier!:blush:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A car behind me stayed well back through three consecutive pinch points which got them a thumbs up when they did overtake.
I then overtook them in traffic, and about a mile further on, they again stayed behind as they could see red traffic lights ahead, so no point overtaking.
Lovely.

And they were in a big BMW Chelsea Tractor 4x4, so goes to show sweeping generalisations aren't always correct.

L14M

Über Member
Not a commute but today on my training ride a dhl van flashed me out of a side road, a quick thanks and he stayed behind me for half a mile then did a lovely wide overtake!

Linford

Great sentiment, but there appears to be a cycle lane, and no signals, what are the rules?
Rules for what, the cycle lanes or signalling your intent to others ?

Using cycle lanes is optional, and the signalling would depend on who is around you to observe them.

crazyjoe101

I was (for a combination of annoying reasons) cycling with a 70L hiking backpack with two rollmats attatched as well as my cycling bag over the top the other night, although the load was light, to other road users it would have looked as though the bag was crammed full and very heavy due to the roll mats on the outside. I was travelling slowly due to a very restricted posture, wet weather and out of use rear brake and almost every car sat patiently behind me and then passed on the opposite side of the road. Maybe courteous, maybe fearful, who knows?

JamesTaylor02

Cycling has definitely made me more aware whilst driving and being more understanding, patient and courteous when there are cyclists on the road. It's the safest thing to do and is good road etiquette – there have been many times I've become irate at the rude drivers that can be found on the roads of Britain!

Top Bottom