Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Great encounter with big white van today. Coming up to the Awful Blind Bend he kept his distance, slowed down, clocked me looking back at him - I stood up on the pedals to show him I appreciated it and was prepared to give it a bit of welly - I waved him past with a big thumbs up when it was safe - he gave a big wave and passed wide. Nice one, WVM!

colly

Re member eR
No on a commute but still worth a mention:
Riding today I was on a fast wide straight road surrounded by flat country. No other traffic about. 35 yds ahead a road joined from the left. Car pulls up to the line with another car right behind. First car pulls out, no drama, plenty of room for all concerned.
Black Mercedes Estate pulls up to the give way lines.
Now I wasn't right on top of her and I think she could have pulled out without me having to brake, but she didn't. She sat there waited patiently for 5 maybe 8 seconds while I passed. I gave her a smile and a nod and she smiled as I passed.
A 5 second wait 'just to be sure'. It isn't difficult.

Last edited:
I had a slippy white line incident where the front wheel just went from underneath me right in front of a queue of posh cars waiting to turn, before I'd even had the chance to wiggle my arm out from underneath me, a woman driver from the second car lept out, asking if I was ok and was helping me up while middle aged men just sat looking on from their Audi type Panza's. Thank you lady driver! Isn't that nice.

Luckily just a bit bruised and stiff from limbs going places they weren't use to. I was actually just off out to meet some friends for a birthday drink, good job our local Cromwell Cider has magically properties! Hurrah!

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Not today, nor was it on a commute:

I get this alot along Romford Road going from Ilford to Stratford (cars peeking the nose out), sometimes they pull back into the junction and sometimes they dont, I have usually seen them in advance and have used a hold back signal to the car behind as I get ready to and then do move into primary.

Do you think the Volo driver has peeked his nose out because of that fence?

Very nice video of a driver looking at the road ahead and seeing you shoulder checking, as should be done!

crazyjoe101

I get this alot along Romford Road going from Ilford to Stratford (cars peeking the nose out), sometimes they pull back into the junction and sometimes they dont, I have usually seen them in advance and have used a hold back signal to the car behind as I get ready to and then do move into primary.

Do you think the Volo driver has peeked his nose out because of that fence?

Very nice video of a driver looking at the road ahead and seeing you shoulder checking, as should be done!

I'd have liked to signal (and signal thanks) as I normally do, however this was literally the first half hour I'd been riding the bike since getting it and I wasn't very stable at that speed. As you say though, the brief eye contact was enough as they read the road ahead too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Riding on those painted lines when they are wet isa recipe for disaster.

Steve

jagman.2003

Über Member
Waiting at first in line at some temporary traffic lights, only one car behind & a slim lane ahead. Waved the car on rather than hold it up. They thanked me. Not so much them, more me. But gave us both that Friday feeling I'm sure.

GuardTwin

Finished my christmas shopping for the day in sutton and I was carrying 6-7kgs of stuff in my bag on my back the road was wide and clear no on coming traffic some islands popping up here and there and parked cars on the left. I've waved 4 cars in total one after the other to pass me which all gave me more than enough space to avoid potholes, drains, open doors if there was any. 2 of 4x4s, 1 bus and 1 normal car. I made sure it was safe for them by checking ahead and each time they passed I held my speed, covering the breaks.... I gave a big smile for them with a thank you wave.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No video, but white van man pulled to the side to let me past on a particularly narrow part of the Pershore Road back end of last week. And waved me past. Got a cheery thanks from me as I went past. Really lifted my evening.
I would have given him a mint imperial if I had managed to get round to a suitable dispenser for your roadie on a mission, but haven't.

sheffgirl

Had a very enjoyable ride this morning. Numerous drivers saw me filtering on the left and moved over to let me through, and lots of lovely wide overtakes :smile: I waved thanks at a couple, and tried smiling too but forgot I was wearing my buff, duh :laugh:

Ganymede

Veteran
Riding home from the station the other night I noticed every single car was passing in an absolutely exemplary fashion, or indeed holding back until safe. Have they all been reading about the cycle deaths in London? I had been away for just over a week and I felt there was a distinct improvement.

Top Bottom