Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It's good practice to let companies know how good their drivers are.

Most drivers of large vehicles already know how they are expected to drive around cyclists. However, I'm sure they would be surprised at just how greatly it's appreciated and it would thereby reinforce their already good behaviour to let them know.
It's one thing them knowing what to do but helping them to understand why is the icing on the cake.

I always acknowledge considerate driving.

GC

I once sent a thanks to ADM Milling whose flour tankers I regularly encounter each day on Ferry Road in Leith. They hang back & never overtake unless it's safe to do so, and pass with LOADS of room. Every one of them. True gents & ladies of the road.

The fleet manager was delighted - the company had spent a lot of money putting their drivers through advanced training, and I was the first person to send them a comment & thus confirm that the investment had been worthwhile.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I once sent a thanks to ADM Milling whose flour tankers I regularly encounter each day on Ferry Road in Leith. They hang back & never overtake unless it's safe to do so, and pass with LOADS of room. Every one of them. True gents & ladies of the road.

The fleet manager was delighted - the company had spent a lot of money putting their drivers through advanced training, and I was the first person to send them a comment & thus confirm that the investment had been worthwhile.

That's just perfect.

The compliment will be relayed to the drivers who in turn will feel their careful driving is appreciated, reinforcing the behaviour.

Everybody wins!

GC

livpoksoc

Guru
Good to hear the positives hear, hopefully it will help turn the corner in the car v bike divide. Yes there are bad drivers who deserve to be informed of their bad driving, but the good ones need praise too!

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Good to hear the positives hear, hopefully it will help turn the corner in the car v bike divide. Yes there are bad drivers who deserve to be informed of their bad driving, but the good ones need praise too!

Not what I have seen today it wont.Total 5hyt3.One good driver doesn't make up for 75 bad ones.

Twelve Spokes

Of course not, but if it starts with a thumbs up from a cyclist, to emailing fleet managers, then progress will be made.

If mods want to remove my post fair enough.Don't want to ruin the thread.Im slightly fuming at the moment.I think I've learnt something today though.

I don't understand that with me pointing out that the pass was too close coming off of the Bow Flyover it enters someone's mind to still pass too close and do a punishment pass then deliberately slow down in front of me with what intention one can only guess.

Last edited:

Twelve Spokes

You'll be wishing for that ratio when you get to Thailand!

GC

I've cycled Thailand before,it's really not that bad.The people are nice and considerate.This is my third tour.I've cycled in Bangkok and Tokyo,no problem at all.They have more of a bike culture out there as opposed to car culture here.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've cycled Thailand before,it's really not that bad.The people are nice and considerate.This is my third tour.I've cycled in Bangkok and Tokyo,no problem at all.They have more of a bike culture out there as opposed to car culture here.

The people are fantastic. My first time there I found the way they use roads rather daunting, nobody seems to bother about road markings or even going in the correct direction on the dual carriageways (certainly as far as all two-wheelers are concerned).

Good luck on your trip and I hope we get to see some pics when you get back.

GC

Twelve Spokes

Peace has been restored.I love drivers again.x

The people are fantastic. My first time there I found the way they use roads rather daunting, nobody seems to bother about road markings or even going in the correct direction on the dual carriageways (certainly as far as all two-wheelers are concerned).

Good luck on your trip and I hope we get to see some pics when you get back.

GC

I mean to prove something to myself this time.The first and second trips were totally different with the flooding on the first and me going down with food poisoning on the second.Should have plenty of pic's.Mean to be mentally tougher this time and not such a wuss.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Not on a commute, but this thread seems appropriate.

Two of us out on a road ride near Langholm. We're riding abreast having a chat while climbing and I popped a look over my shoulder. A truck had just come round the last corner, at least 400 metres away, so I put a spurt on to get ahead so we could single out.

Honk!

He was still 300 yards back when he did that, just as I accelerated. He did that to make sure we knew he was there.

We went round the next corner in single file and the truck passed nice and wide as we came out of it, and got a thankyou wave.

Really enjoyed that ride :smile:

fabregas485

Not on a commute, but this thread seems appropriate.

Two of us out on a road ride near Langholm. We're riding abreast having a chat while climbing and I popped a look over my shoulder. A truck had just come round the last corner, at least 400 metres away, so I put a spurt on to get ahead so we could single out.

Honk!

He was still 300 yards back when he did that, just as I accelerated. He did that to make sure we knew he was there.

We went round the next corner in single file and the truck passed nice and wide as we came out of it, and got a thankyou wave.

Really enjoyed that ride :smile:
I tend to hate anyone honking as they tend to do it way too close. Its great to hear of the driver looking out for your safety as well as letting you know he was there in advance :biggrin:

crazyjoe101

I was on a sort of commute today; on my way home an hour ago and I took primary through every pinch point and have been a bit further out from the door zone and the side of the curb, as well as taking primary (as usual) on roundabouts and at the lights. Every driver stayed back and passed after I moved back towards the curb, some after being waved past. Only one guy undertook me on a roundabout, bit of a boy racer type.

ryanb162

Car overtaking me on the moorland road last night across Bolton, moved right over into the next lane when there was no cars oncoming before trying to pass.

Top Bottom