Today a Good Driver did this ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
Today I had two motorbikes stop trying to filter to allow me to pass and another to hold back overtaking to allow me to over take. I do find that our motorised brothers are very considerate :smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Today's good driver was in an HGV and patiently waited while I plodded up a hill. A lesser driver would have forced their way through to overtake.
Lovely.

This morning a length of cones and traffic lights have sprung up on Oundle Road and rather than the ususal must overtake I was expecting the driver behind held back for that second or two for me to accelerate on to the back of the car in front and once through the lights despite me being in the farcility he waited for the road to clear before overtaking.

fabregas485

There is a stretch of road on my route to work with islands in the middle of the road for about 100 metres. Only once have I had someone overtake (there is room to do so in 1 place), but most people sit behind me and pass after the series of islands. I make sure I thank each one with a little wave

lozcs

Guru
Mate of mine rode from Nottingham to South Birmingham on Sunday.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/222430825/2421234

I left Birmingham to meet him half way and ride back - Driver shouted out of window at a roundabout in Birmingham "Oi Mate"

Here we go I thought...

"Yes?"

"You just cycled from Tamworth?"

"Yeah!"

"Nice one!!! That's brilliant!"

Then the voice of child from the back seat

"You should have been in the Olympics"

Put a smile on my face anyway!

;-)

kipster

Guru
Great driving from a HGV from L Hunt and Sons in Basingstoke. Gave loads of room and pulled back in when all the way past and some.

Email sent to them. I noticed on their web site that they have sent their drivers on a Safer Urban Driving course run by Hammersmith and Fulham council. The course focuses on vulnerable road users, certainly looks to be paying off.

Paul99

Über Member
Just had to move from Cambridge to Basildon :sad: but have increased the cycle portion of my commute to London from 3 to 10 miles :biggrin:.

Despite the poor state of the roads and the proliferation of chavs that you can see racing about most of the time I have been damn well impressed with the courtesy of the car, van and lorry drivers that I am sharing the roads with. Not one close pass, cars hanging well back approaching pinch points and even several cars slow and give me right of way when I am about to turn across their lane.

Awesome driving Basildon, keep it up!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Today a nice driver stopped after exiting a RAB to let some waiting pedestrians cross. It's a busy exit so it can be hard to cross if you're on foot. It's nice when drivers stop & are considerate to pedestrians.

The impatient chavtastic cockwomble behind nearly rear-ended the nice driver's car because he was too busy yabbering away on his phone, and didn't have a hand free to change gear. He sounded his horn at the car in front and the pedestrians as they crossed the road.

He carried on tailgating the nice car for the next half a mile all the time with one hand holding the phone to his ear.

I was in the car behind the cockwomble.

fabregas485

Today a nice driver stopped after exiting a RAB to let some waiting pedestrians cross. It's a busy exit so it can be hard to cross if you're on foot. It's nice when drivers stop & are considerate to pedestrians.

The impatient chavtastic cockwomble behind nearly rear-ended the nice driver's car because he was too busy yabbering away on his phone, and didn't have a hand free to change gear. He sounded his horn at the car in front and the pedestrians as they crossed the road.

He carried on tailgating the nice car for the next half a mile all the time with one hand holding the phone to his ear.

I was in the car behind the cockwomble.
I do not understand how some peoples minds work. Can that call be as important as your and others safety?
I am happy for the driver who stopped. :biggrin:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's good practice to let companies know how good their drivers are.

Most drivers of large vehicles already know how they are expected to drive around cyclists. However, I'm sure they would be surprised at just how greatly it's appreciated and it would thereby reinforce their already good behaviour to let them know.
It's one thing them knowing what to do but helping them to understand why is the icing on the cake.

I always acknowledge considerate driving.

GC

crazyjoe101

I meet a fair few courteous drivers where I am (SE), they certainly outweigh the 'really' bad ones. If anyone's interested I'll stick a few into a video, it's just a shame I've missed a few of the really good ones.

Top Bottom