Toilet roll ettiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
There's a very interesting book about Hampshire Privies which was in my In-Laws loo.

Among the stories of the Night Soil collections and all the wonderful outdoor loo's of the county, the author tells the tale of being in Denmark and being offered the use of her shell by an elderly lady at the communal loo there :sad:.

Toilet roll etiquette ?

Always place used sheets in the bowl rather than back on the roll.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In days of old
When knights were bold
Before paper was ever invented
They wiped their @rse
On blades of grass
And walked away contented.
:sad:

In Greece, you put the used bogroll in a wastepaper bin by the loo. I could NOT live like that, as my "habits-de-toilette" would be somewhat incongruous with the custom.

red_tom

Graham O said:
A famous actress/environmentalist advised that only 3 sheets were needed. I think it was on the old C+ site. The communal wisdon was that it depended on how hairy your bum was!

That was Sheryl Crow

One the hairy part, I remember reading about one particulally hirsute gentleman describing 'the act' as like trying to get peanut butter out of shag pile carpet. :ohmy:xx(:sad:

I got to use a super japanese electronic toilet the other day - no paper at all. Very very impressed with it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, like I said, I have the free end at the front and I've never experienced a complete unwinding situation. Perhaps because I'm one of those people who can do something without always using maximum force.

And I'm folder, not a scruncher. And I'm fairly abstemious.

assuming a reasonable quality toilet paper, tear off 2 sheets, fold and wipe. repeat until required shine is reached. makes for a very efficient use of the available roll.

i hang the paper from the back so that instead of having to twist around with one hand to hold the roll while i tear with the left, i can just lean sideways against the roll with my shoulder while breaking off the sheets!

Pete

Excuse me* if I'm missing something, but how do you know if
the required shine is reached?
Are we talking about a shine on a certain part of the anatomy normally difficult to place under scrutiny, or are we (as is normal custom with bidets out some place 'forrun') using the contrivance for the purpose of 'washing the feet'? I think we should be told.

*no not that reason to 'excuse me' :sad:

gavintc

Guru
I think free range toilet rolls are superior to the cheap low quality ones you get these days in supermarkets. Toilet rolls have feelings to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If no stream of water is available a handful of wet moss or a large leaf makes a pleasant substitute.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
SamNichols said:
Who was it who recently told us that we should only use 1 sheet when wiping our bottoms? Was it Heather Mills?
Post #19 from Red Tom tells us it was Sheryl Crow. But I think it was Ophelia Stinkfinger.

Top Bottom