Top tube bag for mobile phone storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MuelNado

Regular
Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a new top tube bag to store my mobile phone in while riding. My previous one, the Topeak TriBag - 0.6L (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-tribag-06l) worked great in terms of fitting my previous phone snugly, keeping water off of it, and being slender enough to ensure I didn't hit my knees on it. My new phone (dimensions 7.62 x 1.02 x 15.24 cm) is far too big for the Topeak. I've been putting my phone in my saddlebag, wrapped with two socks to dampen vibrations and to stop it from hitting the bottom of my seat, though it's hardly ideal.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks! :smile:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I use this one, the Topeak Toploader with 0.75 ltire capacity. Holds my iPhone, powerbanks, snacks, etc. nicely.

oploader-Top-Tube-Bag-Top-Tube-Bags-Black-TBP-TL1B.jpg

raggydoll

Über Member
I use this one, the Topeak Toploader with 0.75 ltire capacity. Holds my iPhone, powerbanks, snacks, etc. nicely.

View attachment 598917

Do your knees ever hit the bag when riding?
And do you have cables running under your top tube?
If so, do you fasten the straps under the cable or over the cable?

I have cables under my top tube and always thought it would interfere with the cables or the cables would wear away the straps.

I would like one though.

The other thing I've looked at is stem bags.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have similar, straps under cables. Can’t see how cable would wear away straps (then I don’t use all the time. You could protect the straps with tape I guess)

raggydoll

Über Member
I have similar, straps under cables

I just never knew if there was enough of a gap between the cable and top tube and worried that the rear brake cable would saw away at the straps if that was the case.

I was clearly worrying about nothing though!:smile:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Do your knees ever hit the bag when riding?
And do you have cables running under your top tube?
If so, do you fasten the straps under the cable or over the cable?

I have cables under my top tube and always thought it would interfere with the cables or the cables would wear away the straps.

I would like one though.

The other thing I've looked at is stem bags.
My knees never hit the bag.

The cables on my bike run across the top of the top tube. The bag doesn't interfere at all with the cables (gear cables that do not have an outer - the rear brake cable outer keeps the bag off the gear cables). The bag sits on the cables.

In over 12 months use, I've not seen any signs of wear.

I have stem bags too. They are OK, but I much prefer the top tube bag as it's easier to use and take things in and out.

There is a slightly smaller version of the Toploader bag too which has a cable access port on the side. I find I don't need the port as if I run a cable from my power bank in the bag to my Wahoo, it just pokes out of the zip with the zip closed.

Funnily enough, I rarely put my phone in the bag unless charging it. I keep my phone in a sandwich bag in my back pocket.

vickster

Legendary Member
I just never knew if there was enough of a gap between the cable and top tube and worried that the rear brake cable would saw away at the straps if that was the case.

I was clearly worrying about nothing though!:smile:
Space hasn't been an issue for me, I've used it on a couple of bikes. The only issue was it did mark the Ti, but can be buffed out
Mine is actually this one
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/topeak-fuel-tank-large/11365977.html?

I don't keep anything in back pocket, especially a phone which could overheat or break in a fall :wacko:
Mostly my phone goes in trunk or large seatpost bag

raggydoll

Über Member
My knees never hit the bag.

The cables on my bike run across the top of the top tube. The bag doesn't interfere at all with the cables (gear cables that do not have an outer - the rear brake cable outer keeps the bag off the gear cables). The bag sits on the cables.

In over 12 months use, I've not seen any signs of wear.

I have stem bags too. They are OK, but I much prefer the top tube bag as it's easier to use and take things in and out.

There is a slightly smaller version of the Toploader bag too which has a cable access port on the side. I find I don't need the port as if I run a cable from my power bank in the bag to my Wahoo, it just pokes out of the zip with the zip closed.

Funnily enough, I rarely put my phone in the bag unless charging it. I keep my phone in a sandwich bag in my back pocket.

Thanks.
What stem bags do you use?
I go between looking at top tube bags and stem bags.

Top Bottom