Top tube bag for mobile phone storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Until you suffer an involuntary dismount, and squash the phone.
Never happened to me or my mates in what 20 years of riding with phones.
Can't ever recall landing on my back either in 40 years of biking.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Never happened to me or my mates in what 20 years of riding with phones.
Can't ever recall landing on my back either in 40 years of biking.
Yes, to this one as well. Everyone I ride with keeps their phone in their jersey pocket.

Some use a sandwich bag others, like me, use a bespoke wallet. As my lad gave it to me for a birthday I use one of these - snugly holds cash, credit card, phone, garage and house key.

Until you suffer an involuntary dismount, and squash the phone.
Since buying a "modern" phone, I've mainly avoided back-pocket storage because of this. Look at the current tour; Roglic and possibly others are out due to lower back impacts. Yes it's unlikely; but your phone is a valuable item that you *really* want to be working after an accident :-/

I have neck document pouches (Ortlieb and Topeak do them, probably countless others for air-travellers and the like). Not a perfect solution now that phones have gotten quite big/heavy, but it has a lot of advantages.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use one of these. It has good capacity, is clear of knees and legs when riding or dis/mounting. Looks much better than a top tube bag which is a very ugly bit of kit. Ordered mine on a Sunday and delivered on the Wednesday - from Los Angeles.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I use one of these. It has good capacity, is clear of knees and legs when riding or dis/mounting. Looks much better than a top tube bag which is a very ugly bit of kit. Ordered mine on a Sunday and delivered on the Wednesday - from Los Angeles.

View attachment 599478
I also have something very similar from See.Sense (unfortunately currently out of stock). Mine has a bungie cord on the front where I store my rain jacket. Great bit of kit.

Happened to a clubmate - several months off work, plus surgery to remove the bits of phone from his back. Don't put anything hard in your jersey pockets.
My phone is now in a water resistant padded pouch - if it needs to be surgically removed from my body it's been one hell of an impact. Hope your clubmate is back to full health now.

Top Bottom