Torx...why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
My neighbour came round last Sunday; just about to start a late afternoon ride, he was worried that his front light was working loose. I glanced at it and said "come in, no problem, i've just bought a a set of security bits to let me mend Mrs Poacher's steam generator." (Needed a size 25 star bit, by the by).
I thought my smallest torx bit, a 10, would fit - would you believe it, it was too big! Ended up using a size 2 tri-wing bit, a lot of pressure, some threadlock and crossed fingers. Anyway, he hasn't been back to complain.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Or buy a quality multi tool which would already have them included.
Or one with square or hex drive and then you only buy new bits when bike makers pick the next fad instead of a whole new multi tool.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can see a benefit to using pin torx head bolts on any bike that gets left out in the open. It would reduce the number of passing thieves with the tools to steal bits.
I think all my non-bike-specific torx tools are pin torx. They still work on non-pin torx, don't they? If so, I expect nobbers will just carry pin-able tools.

screenman

Legendary Member
Be spline next year and ovalistic magnifica in 2020 ..to work with 27.88 wheels and 152mm axle

Well if it is engineering improvements bring them on.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Or buy a quality multi tool which would already have them included.

Yup, I agree. I have a multitool that so far has had everything I need for all my sized allen and torx screws on the bike and haven't had to go dig through the toolbox at all (even has a little Phillips screwdriver for adjusting the brake calipers :smile: ). It is a Specialized.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Be spline next year and ovalistic magnifica in 2020 ..to work with 27.88 wheels and 152mm axle

According to Wikipedia torx screws were developed in 1967 so they aren't exactly a newfangled thing. Allen screws (or "internal hex") are garbage and need to die a death IMO - they are the most likely of any screw to get mangled and they have no advantage over torx. Even the trades are (slowly) moving over to torx from posidrive.

Edit: Apparently just as the original torx patent expired they came out with "torx plus" so you might not be entirely incorrect :laugh:. I don't think I've ever seen one though.

Top Bottom