Torx...why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Just to complicate things a bit more, a look thorough my Torx bits reveals some with 6 points and some with 5:

D813FD5C-7874-4DCE-AFCD-A87701C740F6.jpeg

I think the 6 point is standard torx, so what is the 5 point? I must have had cause to buy the 5 point but I can’t remember what for. They’re marked as TS(number).

Edit - I think the 5 point may have been bought to use on a modern Triumph motorbike. Not sure.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Sorry, was just reminded of this :smile:

6d7f21fc551d941282838a0b16ff3b36.gif

Back on topic .......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just to complicate things a bit more, a look thorough my Torx bits reveals some with 6 points and some with 5:

View attachment 392406

I think the 6 point is standard torx, so what is the 5 point? I must have had cause to buy the 5 point but I can’t remember what for. They’re marked as TS(number).

Edit - I think the 5 point may have been bought to use on a modern Triumph motorbike. Not sure.
Torx Star.

The lovely thing about standards is there are so many to choose from and they're all flawed.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

View attachment 392406

I think it's "security torx-plus". Apprently they have only 5 lobes (unlike the regular torx-plus) and a central pin.

keithmac

Guru
Which is why we should scrap socket screws altogether. External torx anyone? :laugh:
View attachment 392393

BMW use these on motorcycle caliper bolts etc, they are a very good fastener.

20+ years of working on motorcycles and battling againts steel fasteners into aluminium frames/ engine casings etc has made me very greatfull of torx fittings.

Allen head fasteners are pants and the bane of my life (no exaggeration).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Anyone seen a ratchet torx screwdriver - t25 say? I might adopt torx woodscrewes domestically - if and only if I can get a sensibel spear and jackson type ratchet (hand) screwdriver. One of my better buys a few years back was an assorter box of top quality pozi woodscrews from axminster - giving me screws of every likely size for house jobs,saving a b&q trip each time. Once a compartment emptied I bought a hundred new screws in that size. Such a timesavee. Axminster are now pimping a bargain box of stainless torx headed woodscrews but need a ratchet screwdriver really to make them convenient. Never felt the need for a battery drill / driver. I have non ratcher torx drivers but a ratchet is handy for woodwork / diy

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5123130, member: 259"]my ratchet takes torx bits.[/QUOTE]

Not quite the same thing. I too have ratchets taking torx bits including a half decent facom set, but a dedicated t25 ratchet akin to the ubiquitous woodworkers spear and jackson pozi 2 ratchet is what I'm really afte

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Anyone seen a ratchet torx screwdriver - t25 say? I might adopt torx woodscrewes domestically - if and only if I can get a sensibel spear and jackson type ratchet (hand) screwdriver. One of my better buys a few years back was an assorter box of top quality pozi woodscrews from axminster - giving me screws of every likely size for house jobs,saving a b&q trip each time. Once a compartment emptied I bought a hundred new screws in that size. Such a timesavee. Axminster are now pimping a bargain box of stainless torx headed woodscrews but need a ratchet screwdriver really to make them convenient. Never felt the need for a battery drill / driver. I have non ratcher torx drivers but a ratchet is handy for woodwork / diy
I have both a Craftsman and a Stanley ratcheting screwdriver (the Stanley has fared better, Craftsman isn't what it used to be) and torx bits for them; also have used them on my drill with my adapter. I would be interested in a non-arm-plus-leg priced set of longer torx, but they are so expensive. When I have a specific need my boss lets me borrow the security bits kit we have at work.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

Shockingly, I've never actually used torx wood screws. I think there might not be much advantage when driving by hand though? It's easy to keep alignment and forward pressure with a screwdriver so posidrive is ok.

Is that Axminster set on sale? If so can you send me a link as I can't see it.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Regarding t bar torx drivers: I'm struggling to find a good name brand set at even a semi acceptable price. I've got a set of superb facom allen keys at a buttock clenching £70+ which were just about worth it and get used a fair bit but the equivalent torx set was nearly £200 which really is a bit much - and facom (for instance) don't even seem to do a set.

Regarding those pooh poohing allen bolts - traditionally socket cap screws tended to be a higher grade than normal bolts, although that isn't per se a feature of the design

Bondhus come with a lifetime warranty, and are very reasonably priced. This was the first item I saw on Google, so you may find a cheaper price elsewhere...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bondhus come with a lifetime warranty, and are very reasonably priced. This was the first item I saw on Google, so you may find a cheaper price elsewhere...

I have a Park Tools set of individual torx keys which looks like a Bondhus rebrand.

Mine doesn't immediately come up on google, but SJS has a T-handle Park set for £40.

For most uses a £15 'folding', ie multi-tool type set would do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Madison-Fo..._2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=GZC94R9W78RR7Z0QZD6H

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/park-tool-pht1-phandled-star-torx-key-wrench-set-t68101520253040/

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I was semi tempted by those, bondhus being very much a pukka make

My lovely facom allen key set are these so the torx equivalent was what really fancied, but those bondhus ones do seem good

Attachments

• fac6010880x.jpg
    fac6010880x.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom