Torx...why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I use Torx too for smaller fasteners on the motorbikes.

bpsmith

Veteran
Torx heads always let you get more purchase on a bolt. In saying that, my Silca hex wrenches have never stripped a head yet.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Torx look better too..in titanium

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I get that there is a lot of "Allen's have always been good enough for me" feeling but there are a lot of applications where they suck:

- very small screws
- screws with shallow heads i.e. sexy looking dome heads (not enough engagement)
- screws not made of steel
- screws that are likely to corrode (helps them round out)
- screws exposed to a lot of dirt/mud (they fill up and it effectively makes them shallower if you don't pick the dirt out)

The absolute worst offenders are motorcycle sump bolts. They are typically large diameter (19mm or so) but have a relatively small allen socket in the middle, usually 8mm. They are usually made of aluminium. They are exposed to all the salty road crap which, along with the hot/cold cycling of the engine, helps seize them in good. Access to them is often quite terrible too which makes it hard to remove buggered ones without dropping the engine. :cursing: Just use a standard bolt!

Given the faults it makes the most sense for everything to switch over to torx. The original patent expired ages ago so I'm not sure why they haven't.

gbb

Legendary Member
Torx is only as good as the quality of the screw itself. I've cream crackered just as many torx screws as hexagon head.
Ironically poor quality or worn Allen keys cause most damage to hexagon heads, but poor quality screws themselves are worse with torx, the bits are generally ok. (IME )

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Torx is only as good as the quality of the screw itself. I've cream crackered just as many torx screws as hexagon head.
Ironically poor quality or worn Allen keys cause most damage to hexagon heads, but poor quality screws themselves are worse with torx, the bits are generally ok. (IME )

Which is why we should scrap socket screws altogether. External torx anyone? :laugh:
41YGtwVNzDL.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Regarding t bar torx drivers: I'm struggling to find a good name brand set at even a semi acceptable price. I've got a set of superb facom allen keys at a buttock clenching £70+ which were just about worth it and get used a fair bit but the equivalent torx set was nearly £200 which really is a bit much - and facom (for instance) don't even seem to do a set.

Regarding those pooh poohing allen bolts - traditionally socket cap screws tended to be a higher grade than normal bolts, although that isn't per se a feature of the design

Top Bottom