Tour of Britain 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
What were the crowd numbers like in the park?
Have a look at the ITV4 highlights programme on ITV player. It's got some good shots showing the crowds in the bit around the start line.
I spent all my time in the parking area and it was crowded, but people were still able to move about.

siadwell

Guru
Arrived in Guildford a bit late but managed to get a spot on the barriers about 30yds past the finish line, directly opposite the commentary portakabin. Really enjoyed it. Could not move for about 30 minutes after the finish - it was literally not possible to leave our positions until they opened up the barriers. A bit dangerous actually!

Would like to have got there a bit earlier to get a better spot on the barriers. Some of those people must have held their spots there for several hours!
A colleague of mine managed to do Reigate, a roundabout somewhere in the middle of the course and then the finish. She said that a lot of people had staked their places for the first pass through Guildford and were camped out for a couple of hours waiting for the finish. She still managed to get a place 120m from the finishing line (by the deviation, where one of the team vehicles got stuck!) and has a great photo of Cav with his sprint face on.

Arrived in Guildford a bit late but managed to get a spot on the barriers about 30yds past the finish line, directly opposite the commentary portakabin. Really enjoyed it. Could not move for about 30 minutes after the finish - it was literally not possible to leave our positions until they opened up the barriers. A bit dangerous actually!

Would like to have got there a bit earlier to get a better spot on the barriers. Some of those people must have held their spots there for several hours!

i was in the same spot for 5 hours, just before the 100m sign. there was no free space beyond that at 11.15. by the time i cleared the crowds and bottlenecks, most of the team buses were going. Sky were still there and Cav walked out through the crowd with his girlfriend and kids.

Dave Brailsford was being mobbed at the end, after the buses had gone. great to see that.

rvw

Guru

We were also in place for something just over 5 hours. TBH the only reason we got a spot so close was luck - having arrived just after 11am, I found a tiny* gap on the barriers and stuck there. SRW and my brother in law and nephew had to stay behind (well, I'm the shortest!)

*Tiny, as in just room for me, when I got there. By the end, three other bodies - thankfully short, slim girls - had wangled their way into the same space!

oldroadman

Veteran
The whole tour was great for specator numbers. It was difficult to get in to the starts, and even tougher escaping from the finish areas. I know, as I was one of the lucky people who work on the tour. If anyone thinks it's a holiday, think again, but you are with people you have known for years, working hard for long hours, and the camaraderie is great. You get home tired after 9 days away but having seen all the racing (can't say what the job was, but a well placed one). It's still easier than a three week tour, anyway!

Peteaud

Veteran
The whole tour was great for specator numbers. It was difficult to get in to the starts, and even tougher escaping from the finish areas. I know, as I was one of the lucky people who work on the tour. If anyone thinks it's a holiday, think again, but you are with people you have known for years, working hard for long hours, and the camaraderie is great. You get home tired after 9 days away but having seen all the racing (can't say what the job was, but a well placed one). It's still easier than a three week tour, anyway!

Are you Cav ^_^

He was well placed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I contacted ITV support about the fact that they had forgotten to put Friday's stage of the ToB up on ITV Player. I just got an email back apologising for the omission. The replay is now available on the site.

No, no, you don't have to all thank me at once! :thumbsup:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You are the Skoda Yeti and I claim my 5 pounds.

Top Bottom