Town car for Mrs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
got a 10 year old Honda Jazz to replace our beloved Golf Estate after the head gasket blew and really can't speak too highly of it. 10 years old and 130,000 miles on the clock, cost barely upwards of a grand and it looks and drives like a new car. The seats are like new, everything works immaculately, not a shake or a rattle anywhere. Excellent to drive (we got the 1.3 Sport version), unbelievable amount of storage space, economical on the juice - really can't fault it or recommend it too highly.
We already have a newish Jazz Si. Awesome car like you say!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Have we got to the bit yet where everyone recommends their own car?

Salar

A fish out of water
Nothing wrong with some Fiats. I traded my Abarth Yamaha 595 Racing edition in last year as it wasn't getting much use, very loosely based on a Fiat 500!

This was a small high performance car, I wouldn't buy an ordinary 500, overpriced and there's loads of them out there, remember Watchdog when due to a software problem they wouldn't climb up a steep hill.

Anyway, the wife needed a small runabout so I treated her to a 5 year old C1 in powder blue a few months ago from a main dealer. 65-70 mpg, no road tax. They get snapped up quickly.

I love driving it, the little three cylinder engines relishes the challenge and can be revved up to the 6500 red line.

And I couldn't care less what people think about me driving a petite powder blue car. :smile:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

The Aygo of the same generation is a partial redesign of the body by Toyota to distinguish it from its cousins, but Toyota muffed it up and they're very prone to cabin water leaks which Toyota never managed to cure during the production cycle.
Never knew about the water leaks had one for a couple of years without issue, used to do 18 mile each way commute in it, apart from being a little underpowered on long hauls it was perfect for around town. The Citroen & Pug will be a little cheaper, but the 1L 3 pot is an ideal town car, some people claim it's a little rough & vibrates on tick over but I never found that an issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never knew about the water leaks had one for a couple of years without issue, used to do 18 mile each way commute in it, apart from being a little underpowered on long hauls it was perfect for around town. The Citroen & Pug will be a little cheaper, but the 1L 3 pot is an ideal town car, some people claim it's a little rough & vibrates on tick over but I never found that an issue.

Indeedy. The Aygo cost a bit more new, but that was mainly to cover the cost of underwriting the 5 year warranty. It quickly depreciated to a level with its cousins. Indeed, for a spell the 107 was the lowest depreciating car on sale, and 6-12 month old examples were selling for barely 2 or 300 quid less than new, such was the demand and the waiting times. Mrs D (although she was just my GF then) drove hers for a year and traded it in at the same dealer, losing only £45 in a year! It would have cost £110 to service it, or £45 to get shot of it an order another - a simple financial decision.

Toyota tried all sorts to fix the Aygo water leak problem. At first it was a nasty (and doubtless budget) attempt to fix the problem with extra stick ons eals to supplement the door seals, but they fell off and looked ugly. They redesigned the door and hatch seals which did alleviate the problem somewhat, but never cured it entirely. If you've got a dry car you're a fortunate customer.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81020

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Indeedy. The Aygo cost a bit more new, but that was mainly to cover the cost of underwriting the 5 year warranty. It quickly depreciated to a level with its cousins. Indeed, for a spell the 107 was the lowest depreciating car on sale, and 6-12 month old examples were selling for barely 2 or 300 quid less than new.

Toyota tried all sorts to fix the Aygo water leak problem. At fist it was a nasty (and doubtless budget) attempt to fix the problem with extra stick ons eals to supplement the door seals, but they fell off and looked ugly. They redesigned the door and hatch seals which did alleviate the problem somewhat, but never cured it entirely. If you've got a dry car you're a fortunate customer.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81020

Imagine if it had been made by Yugo?

AndyRM

XOXO
Have we got to the bit yet where everyone recommends their own car?

See post 4.

MarkF

Guru
My mother has had umpteen Suzuki's over the past 25 years not one has had any sort of repair or suffered a failure of any kind, they are simple cars, my youngest inherited her 2007 Swift and that's a good sized runabout IMO, one that doesn't bounce around over small road imperfections like the MIL's tiny Hyundai.

However the Suzuki's came and went every 2 or 3 years, she wasn't attached to them, just A to B transportation. For her 78th I bought her a Fiat 500, looked into them carefully and bought the 1.2, she fell in love with it and is always showing it off, they are wonderful things and such fun to drive and just be in. After a minor shunt she had a small Seat something, same as the VW Up, and promptly refused to get in it as it was so drab in comparison. I wouldn't have any other small car, I'd have a different colour though.:okay:

About 2 years ago I paid less than £5k for it, it was 2014, 1 owner with 20k miles and FSH, it's still like new.

Same as this..

media?id=f01a47c11c1548e684ce2a5346587d41&width=288&height=218.jpg

Top Bottom