Traffic Lights (roadworks) time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Happened to me - a long set of works on a hill. I was only halfway through when a tw*t in a landrover barrelled down with no intention of slowing down. Luckily the cones were on my side and there was tarmac there.

classic33

Leg End Member
I must say the bit where you said, just before it turned to Amber, may have people thinking, how did he know that.
Given what was behind at the time, I'd not have even bothered trying to stop. All well and good people saying keeping a distance that you know you can stop in, but can what's behind stop as quick?

screenman

Legendary Member
Given what was behind at the time, I'd not have even bothered trying to stop. All well and good people saying keeping a distance that you know you can stop in, but can what's behind stop as quick?

Not sure you have my post correct. Point being how do you know when the lights have just changed to Amber when you have gone through them.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4282897, member: 9609"]I didn't know on the first occasion but by the time I let everyone past I presumed it was close.

when I went back and timed it precisely, I first established how long the green stayed on at one end, then I was able to time from green starting at one end to green starting at the other end then deduct the first bit, There was No Amber Gambling ^_^[/QUOTE]
Good move raising it with the local authority. I think @subaqua might know what the times should be, as I get the impression he gets involved in that sort of thing in his day job.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not sure you have my post correct. Point being how do you know when the lights have just changed to Amber when you have gone through them.
Most roadworks have a "Stop Here" sign in advance of the lights. You don't tend to get right up to the roadworks and then stop at the light. Do that and you're as well to carry on moving. Much as in the same way a second set of lights on the opposite side of a junction, facing you, controls traffic

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4282588, member: 9609"]very rare I come across traffic lights so not very experienced with them. some road works near where I live, quite a long stretch 300m, I entered the controlled area probably just before they changed to amber, and when I got to the end there was a very animated twat in a car and I noticed his light had changed to green and clearly the delay I was causing him had entirely ruined his life.

Anyway I decided to make some timings on how fast you need to go to get through quick enough. I worked out that if you do go through at amber you need to average 16.5 mph not to delay on coming traffic, this does not seem very reasonable for cyclist[/QUOTE]
Any of these? The Red circles indicate multiple works in that area.
2.jpg

Hip Priest

Veteran
Last year I went through a green light on the Elk's Head climb near Allendale. It's a 10%+ climb and I was still making my way through the cones when cars started coming down the opposite way. That was scary!

By the way, anyone who claims never to have nipped through a light on amber is a saint or a liar.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think it must vary as I usually manage to get through before they turn green at the other end. Although I'd never go through on amber for that reason. Often if the coned off area is on my side of the road I'd use that in an emergency if I was in the way of oncoming traffic - checking for holes first, of course :smile:

The best ones are the ones with chaps with stop-go boards. Whenever I've seen those the guys have made sure I got through before changing the boards. Don't often see them now though.
Not looking hard enough!
stop - go.jpg

Gert Lush

[QUOTE 4282799, member: 9609"]It wasn't a joke, I can't be arsed with people who can't read properly and then take a pop! - i never said I went through on amber :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

So we have a different sense of humour to each other, noted.

Throbbe

Good move raising it with the local authority. I think @subaqua might know what the times should be, as I get the impression he gets involved in that sort of thing in his day job.

Green will have a minimum time (7 seconds I think) which then gets extended if cars are still approaching the signal, up to maximum, which could theoretically be any time, but is likely to be no more than 60s, usually less, unless the road is heavily trafficked.

The Intergreen (time between green in one direction and green in the other) is at least 4s (iirc), and should allow just enough time for traffic in one direction to be clear before the other traffic stream moves. While they will use an appropriate speed for pedestrians on ped crossings I suspect most 'traffic' phases are timed for cars.

There are exceptions, as noted previously, but you'll be unsurprised to know that most people calculating signal timings are not thinking about cyclists.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had to decide what to do when i had to stop at some road works measuring about 100 yards. Shall i wait till the green light comes on them bomb it to get through before they change to green on the other side or should i wait till the cars stop at the other end, then go through on red to get there without delaying those vehicles coming at me and those behind me. I decided to go on red when i saw the cars at the other end stop, only to look behind me to see this 4x4 thing intimidating me. He'd jumped the lights too! Guess what was waiting in the queue at the other end? Only a police car! I stopped (blocking 4x4's path) and told the copper my reason for jumping the red light. He ok'd it then asked the tool in the 4x4 for his explanation for jumping a red light.^_^

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had to decide what to do when i had to stop at some road works measuring about 100 yards. Shall i wait till the green light comes on them bomb it to get through before they change to green on the other side or should i wait till the cars stop at the other end them go through on red to get there without delaying those vehicles coming at me and those behind me. I decided to go on red when i saw the cars at the other end stop, only to look behind me to see this 4x4 thing intimidating me. He'd jumped the lights too! Guess what was waiting in the queue at the other end? Only a police car! I stopped (blocking 4x4's path) and told the copper my reason for jumping the red light. He ok'd it then asked the tool in the 4x4 for his explanation for jumping a red light.^_^
I can vaguely remember a time when it was common practice for the first vehicle stopped by a temporary light to wave the traffic coming the other way through, thereby saving everyone quite a bit of time. I'm particularly thinking of a family holiday in Pembrokeshire in 1967, and my memory may be a bit hazy. Of course, it all goes a bit wrong, for both cyclists and drivers, if it isn't a straightforward two-way set of lights.

classic33

Leg End Member
Green will have a minimum time (7 seconds I think) which then gets extended if cars are still approaching the signal, up to maximum, which could theoretically be any time, but is likely to be no more than 60s, usually less, unless the road is heavily trafficked.

The Intergreen (time between green in one direction and green in the other) is at least 4s (iirc), and should allow just enough time for traffic in one direction to be clear before the other traffic stream moves. While they will use an appropriate speed for pedestrians on ped crossings I suspect most 'traffic' phases are timed for cars.

There are exceptions, as noted previously, but you'll be unsurprised to know that most people calculating signal timings are not thinking about cyclists.
American timing method
The duration of minimum green can also be influenced by detector location and controller operation. This subsection addresses the situation where a phase has one or more advance detectors and no stop-line detection. If this detection design is present, and the added initial parameter (as discussed later) is not used, then a minimum green interval is needed to clear the vehicles queued between the stop line and the advance detector. The duration of this interval is specified in Table 5-4.

Table 5-4 Typical minimum green interval duration needed to satisfy queue clearance

Distance Between Stop Line and Nearest Upstream Detector, ft
Minimum Green Needed to Satisfy Queue Clearance1, 2 (Gq), s
0 to 25: 5
26 to 50: 7
51 to 75: 9
76 to 100: 11
101 to 125: 13
126 to 150: 15

Notes:

1. Minimum green values listed apply only to phases that have one or more advance detectors, no stop line detection, and the added initial parameter is not used.
  2. Minimum green needed to satisfy queue clearance, Gq = 3 + 2n (in seconds), where n = number of vehicles between stop line and nearest upstream detector in one lane. And, n = Dd / 25, where Dd = distance between the stop line and the downstream edge of the nearest upstream detector (in feet) and 25 is the average vehicle length (in feet), which could vary by area.
http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop08024/chapter5.htm

Top Bottom