Traffic Lights (roadworks) time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The way it works is that, unless you thrive on driver's abuse, you avoid roadworks :laugh:
I take an alternative route or temporarily walk on the pavement.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think it must vary as I usually manage to get through before they turn green at the other end. Although I'd never go through on amber for that reason. Often if the coned off area is on my side of the road I'd use that in an emergency if I was in the way of oncoming traffic - checking for holes first, of course :smile:

The best ones are the ones with chaps with stop-go boards. Whenever I've seen those the guys have made sure I got through before changing the boards. Don't often see them now though.

snorri

Legendary Member
It is not unusual to find temporary traffic lights set up to cater for motor vehicle speeds.
It is important to ride assertively (in the middle of the lane) through the road works and refer any angry drivers to the company responsible for the lights if a cheery wave has failed to calm them down:smile:

Gert Lush

[QUOTE 4282588, member: 9609"]Anyway I decided to make some timings on how fast you need to go to get through quick enough. I worked out that if you do go through at amber you need to average 16.5 mph not to delay on coming traffic, this does not seem very reasonable for cyclist[/QUOTE]

Well a Amber light does mean Stop so you shouldn't be going through an amber light anyway. :whistle:

Just to add, incase anyone has a hissy fit. This was meant in a light hearted manner*...

(A Factual Joke)

Last edited:

Throbbe

I know that the contractor that does highway works for Cambridgeshire are told to allow for cyclists in the signal timings.

Worth reporting to the highways team at your local county council as they will have licenced the use of traffic signals.

Throbbe

[QUOTE 4282723, member: 9609"]done - I will report back with what they say[/QUOTE]

Might be worth contacting the cycling officer/team too, especially if you get fobbed off.

Gert Lush

[QUOTE 4282704, member: 9609"]Can I just clear the "Amber" bollx up. When I first went through the lights there was a lorry behind me and a few cars, so I waved them past and followed them, I seen no Amber but I guess I was close. For the purpose of timing I calculated the time form the Amber appearing at one end to the green appearing at the other end. For the 294m the time was 40 seconds, hence if you just got through before amber you would have to average (including acceleration 16.54mph) That does not seem reasonable for cyclist.[/QUOTE]

Apparently jokes don't come over well on the internet.. It was nice talking to you.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4282588, member: 9609"]very rare I come across traffic lights so not very experienced with them. some road works near where I live, quite a long stretch 300m, I entered the controlled area probably just before they changed to amber, and when I got to the end there was a very animated twat in a car and I noticed his light had changed to green and clearly the delay I was causing him had entirely ruined his life.

Anyway I decided to make some timings on how fast you need to go to get through quick enough. I worked out that if you do go through at amber you need to average 16.5 mph not to delay on coming traffic, this does not seem very reasonable for cyclist[/QUOTE]

If you go through at amber you are breaking the law!

Ihatehills

I came across some temporary lights on maybe my third or fourth ride ever, it was quite a long stretch and I really panicked and pedalled like the the devil himself was chasing me ( it actually was just a tw:becool:t in an Audi ) I'm pretty sure that there was no footpath as it was on a rural road. Not a lot of fun for an inexperienced cyclist. As it was an uphill section, I can't imagine that I'd have made it through if I'd not had the full time.

Top Bottom