Traffic Lights (roadworks) time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Plenty of experience of this in Shrewsbury at the moment, where there has been a serious outbreak of roadworkitis! I haven't had any problems so far and have managed to make it through to the other end before they've changed. However if there is a safe path in the coned off area I have been using that where possible......or the pavement :whistle::evil:

GuyBoden

Guru
As a slow bike rider, in situations like road works, I frequently let other vehicles pass, even if this means I have to stop and pull safely to the side of the road. Most cyclists are very slow in comparison to other vehicles, so instead of my cycle holding up traffic, I think it's better to let them pass and try to harmoniously share the road. Some, courteous drivers of large slow vehicles, such as tractors, JCB's etc have a similar approach on small roads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As a slow bike rider, in situations like road works, I frequently let other vehicles pass, even if this means I have to stop and pull safely to the side of the road. Most cyclists are very slow in comparison to other vehicles, so instead of my cycle holding up traffic, I think it's better to let them pass and try to harmoniously share the road. Some, courteous drivers of large slow vehicles, such as tractors, JCB's etc have a similar approach on small roads.
Me too. Not because I'm polite, but because I don't like people driving up my backside. But the problem is on these light-protected roadworks you have no choice. There's just no space for passing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Me too. Not because I'm polite, but because I don't like people driving up my backside. But the problem is on these light-protected roadworks you have no choice. There's just no space for passing.
Also, it's useful to keep at least one motor vehicle behind you to trigger any "vehicle in narrow section" sensors (they often don't detect cycles) and to discourage oncoming traffic from having a go at proceeding before you're clear.

So unless I can see the other end of the light-controlled alternating-flow section, I'm not letting motorists past at the entrance and it's not impoliteness but self-preservation.

Top Bottom