Triban RC520 ongoing problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Good Morning, I'm new to this forum and have the Decathlon Triban RC520 road bike, if anyone is considering buying this then have a read of what I've been through so far with it. So I bought the bike and within a few weeks the sidewalls of the tyres had cracked and I got a puncture fortunately not far from home. I couldn't get the tyre off the rim and I knew there was a problem with this so I thought I'd get a pair of new wheels and be done with any problems of getting the tyres on and off the rim etc.
I took the bike to Spa cycles and asked them to build me a pair of wheels that would be compatible with the bike. The gentleman in the shop tried himself to get the tyre back on the rim and couldn't do it either. So there was obviously an issue, it wasn't me. So all's well at this point I leave the bike to have the wheels built and be put on the bike.
I get a phone call that the wheels are ready and I call back into Spa who then cant find the bike!. After about an hour they find the bike and try to fit the wheels but cant do it. The mechanic apologised and said that he had fXXXed up. He had made them for a 10 speed and the bikes a 11 speed, so would have to build a new pair. So go home and wait another few days and return and collect the bike with the new wheels. I should have tried the bike there and then but didnt, my mistake. I wheeled the bike to the train station as I had to carry the spare wheels. Once home I tried the bike and the wheels were rubbing on the front and back!.
I rang Spa who told me to bring it back again, by this time I had lost all faith in the shop and didn't bother in the end. I just couldn't face it after the last fiasco.
So I took the bike to a very good local bike shop, they told me the rotor was rubbing on the front wheel, it needed an adaptor put on and they would sort out the indexing. A small scuff was visible on the inside of the fork. The adaptor was put on/new disc and the front wheel was now fine but they struggled to sort out the indexing. Basically in the small ring at the front on the 3 hardest gears it rattles and grinds. The mechanic said that he had tried really hard to sort it out and it was aligned properly but he couldn't do it. He thought it was because maybe it was a micro shift cassette running with a 105 derailleur. I said I would just get on with it for the time being as I couldn't afford to pay for any more parts at the time.
So upto date its cost me the bike £729.00 and the wheels £250 and the rotor new disc/labour £60.00. Its still not right I can ride the bike but cant use the some of the gears on the lowest cog. I can change upwards and the bikes usable but not 100% right.
I'm going to ask another mechanic to have a look but I don't hold out much hope. I've paid out over a grand and just use the bike as a spare now.

Sharky

Guru
Welcome to cycle chat and sorry to hear of all your woes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, the wheels are known to be an issue with the bike. How long have you had it, you could try some recourse to Decathlon (I may have tried that straight off after the tyre issue), but I wouldn’t hold out much hope, as the issue with the rotors could just be down to wear and tear.

Personally I had a very good experience with Spa when I bought a bike from them, so can’t really comment there.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The issue with the rotor was down to the fact that Spa didn't set the bike up properly as asked for. They were not worn at all, the bike was nearly brand new. If I had known about the wheel issue at the time I wouldn't have bought the bike!. Decathlon know there is an issue with the wheels but still sell the bike with them on, thats what gets me. If you have a puncture outside there is no way you will be able to change the tube. Decathlon do know this as I've spoken to them and they just recommended some sealant to spray in the valve if I punctured when out!. Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They just told me to buy some sealant for putting in the valves and that was it. When I mentioned about the tyre walls cracking they just ignored me and didn't bother replying. They know there's a problem with the wheels as its all over the reviews of this bike on their site.
I'm just explaining what problems I've had. Obviously people make up their own minds regarding what they buy.

If the bike shop couldn't get the tyres on - how did it get on in the first place ?

Surely you could have just bought some tyres that aren't as tight fitting ?

And they shouldn't crack in a few weeks. Decathlon should have sorted that out for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
If the bike shop couldn't get the tyres on - how did it get on in the first place ?

Surely you could have just bought some tyres that aren't as tight fitting ?

And they shouldn't crack in a few weeks. Decathlon should have sorted that out for you.
Those don't seem to be very available, it's an issue with the tubeless ready rims from what others have said on the forum (before changing wheels in several cases!)

Clearly the factory workers in Taiwan have super strong thumbs or they build the wheel around the tyre :ph34r:

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I dont know how Decathlon got the tyres on in the first place.
You wont be able to get any tyres on those rims, its a known problem now.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
They just told me to buy some sealant for putting in the valves and that was it. When I mentioned about the tyre walls cracking they just ignored me and didn't bother replying. They know there's a problem with the wheels as its all over the reviews of this bike on their site.
I'm just explaining what problems I've had. Obviously people make up their own minds regarding what they buy.
Bugger
Even though as you had a new bike on warranty you should have insisted on replacement or a service
Have to say any issues I have ever had with anything in Decathlon were always dealt on spot and faulty item exchanged or fixed - no questions asked.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take it back to the Shop (assuming you bought it in store) The mechanics are pretty good in my local one (not that I've used them but they had (or have) a decent wheel builder.

The tyres should be replaced for free if cracking.

I have to ask if its a known problem then why did you buy in the first place, the tyres seem to be the only problem with the bike as far as buying from decathlon is concerned, i would have asked if it was possible to change the wheels at point of purchase , if not ...buy elsewhere,.....the other problems stem from spa if i am reading your post right.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I didnt know when I bought the bike I knew about a month or so later when all the reviews started coming through going on about the issue.Its the wheels and the tyres that are the issue, not just the tyres.If you read all the reviews on the Decathlon site about this bike most of them mention the wheel issue/s.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I didnt know when I bought the bike I knew about a month or so later when all the reviews started coming through going on about the issue.Its the wheels and the tyres that are the issue, not just the tyres.If you read all the reviews on the Decathlon site about this bike most of them mention the wheel issue/s.
But you could have got Decathlon to replace the tyres when they started to crack as it was so soon?

Top Bottom