Triban RC520 ongoing problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Check at home if you can do without any problems, if yes then no point really buying replacement wheelset?

Duc gas

Über Member
My son has recently moved from home and needed a bike to get around on so donated my bamboo bike to him which was fitted out from a donor triban 520 gravel bike which as Hutchinson 38mm tyres fitted. I thought it best to run through some basic maintenance with my son including removing a tyre for puncture repair and came to the conclusion that they have been glued on?? I gave up and will probably have to cut them off when the time comes....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Send more than one email - they may not have seen it- and at least go back to the store with your original Triban wheels... if you don't want to give them the opportunity to correct the problem you've had then that's a separate issue which you'll have to come to terms with yourself.

In some ten years of using Decathlon I've only had one issue with them but my daughter's partner did and the in-house mechanic at their Sheffield store fixed it within a day.

Sharky

Guru
My son has recently moved from home and needed a bike to get around on so donated my bamboo bike to him which was fitted out from a donor triban 520 gravel bike which as Hutchinson 38mm tyres fitted. I thought it best to run through some basic maintenance with my son including removing a tyre for puncture repair and came to the conclusion that they have been glued on?? I gave up and will probably have to cut them off when the time comes....
I've had some tough tyres to get off, but I don't know if they were as tough as yours. And the technique I use might be what you are doing already, but if it's not the way you do it, might help.

Firstly, I'm using old fashioned metal tyre levers. They are more slender than the plastic ones and can get under the bead. I use all three tyre levers simultaneously. I get all three under the beads first, before aplying force, about 2" to 3" apart. Then using both hands and my forearm, apply force evenly to all three levers. And the tyre pops off.

If this is how you are already doing it and still doesn't work, you can borrow my Stanley knife! But if you haven't, it may work.

Good luck

DRM

Guru
I’m afraid I would have taken the thing back to Decathlon, I’d put money on it that the bike was an internet order and certainly wouldn’t have gone to Spa or anywhere else until Decathlon had sorted it out personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The bike was bought in person from the shop not that it makes any difference. Yes with the benefit of hindsight I should have returned it to Decathlon and got a refund straight away but I didn't. Its a lesson learned for me, you get what you pay for etc. I will always look at a places or a bikes reviews before I buy a bike again. I wouldn't wish all this hassle on myself or anyone else.
I can usually change a tyre no problem, there is a noted problem with this bike. I wouldnt have bought this bike if I'd have known its issues and I wont use these 2 companies again either.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are plenty of reviews criticising the wheels on the Decathlon site (granted some are in French so it’s not just a UK spec issue)
Decathlon really should be reviewing the wheel specs of the bike!

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Is it me or some tubeless compatible rims are in general more of a PITA when it comes to fitting clinchers?

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Whilst Spa are renown for their strong opinions they are known for their good customer service and great knowledge. I would give them a chance to inspect and if necessarily rectify any issues. As for Decathlon I would be back with the wheels and tyres and get them to do a tyre change in front of you.
I did give Spa a chance when they made the wheelset to the wrong specifications and it wouldnt fit the bike.I returned to the shop and the bike still wasnt right when I got it home. I acted in good faith thinking it would have been sorted out, it wasn't. How many chances would you give a shop? You cant just keep returning a bike time after time. It was just appalling really.

vickster

Legendary Member
Were the wheels still defective after being rectified from 10 to 11 speed?
I can’t see how they’re responsible for damaged rotors (was that the issue?) if you engaged them to build wheels not service the bike?

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
There are plenty of reviews criticising the wheels on the Decathlon site (granted some are in French so it’s not just a UK spec issue)
Decathlon really should be reviewing the wheel specs of the bike!
Yes there are now, but when I bought it there wasnt. They must have known about it because obviously they had to get all the tyres on.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Were the wheels still defective after being rectified from 10 to 11 speed?
I can’t see how they’re responsible for damaged rotors (was that the issue?) if you engaged them to build wheels not service the bike?
The rotor at the front was rubbing on the fork, it hadn't been set up right and rubbed a small scratch on the front fork. I asked and paid for the bike to be set up properly as well. The rotors were not damaged or worn at all. It also wasn't indexed properly.

Top Bottom