Triban RC520 ongoing problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yep. Have a pair of tubeless rims and the tyres are a bugger to get on and off.
Hope it doesn’t get too hard to source normal wheels. I really don’t fancy tubeless on my road bikes.

rivers

How far can I go?
Hope it doesn’t get too hard to source normal wheels. I really don’t fancy tubeless on my road bikes.
It just depends on the wheels. I have 2 sets of tubeless wheels from DTSwiss and one from FFWD. One set is set-up tubed and the other 2 are tubeless. None of the tyres are impossible to get on or off, nor do they take an inordinate amount of time/faff to dismount and re-mount with normal tyre levers.

It all seems to have gone downhill when you spa for a set of handbuilts. I would have been straight on the web for a budget set of Mavic Askuim and some easy fit tyres and tubes - ( if weren't for the £200 you have spent of the spa wheels IMO this would still be the best way out)

I looked a tubeless a few months back - decided against it, I couldn't be bothered with resealing every few months.

As others have said I have always found Decathlon products excellent - and there after sales just as good.

Is the issue here the decathlon wheel/tubeless set up or just tubeless in general.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It all seems to have gone downhill when you spa for a set of handbuilts. I would have been straight on the web for a budget set of Mavic Askuim and some easy fit tyres and tubes - ( if weren't for the £200 you have spent of the spa wheels IMO this would still be the best way out)

I looked a tubeless a few months back - decided against it, I couldn't be bothered with resealing every few months.

As others have said I have always found Decathlon products excellent - and there after sales just as good.

Is the issue here the decathlon wheel/tubeless set up or just tubeless in general.
I didnt know that they would have struggled with building a pair of wheels correctly and also fitting them correctly to the bike. I wouldn't have used the shop if I thought they were incapable of this. I haven't got another tubeless road bike, my other bike runs just clinchers.

I didnt know that they would have struggled with building a pair of wheels correctly and also fitting them correctly to the bike. I wouldn't have used the shop if I thought they were incapable of this. I haven't got another tubeless road bike, my other bike runs just clinchers.

Im just saying wouldn't a set of askuims , tubes and tyres be a way out of this ?- also if that works, you IMO have evidence that the kit supplied by spa cycles wasn't fit for purpose.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Im just saying wouldn't a set of askuims , tubes and tyres be a way out of this ?- also if that works, you IMO have evidence that the kit supplied by spa cycles wasn't fit for purpose.
Thanks for your suggestion but there's no way I'm spending anymore money on it,apart from when general bits wear out.
Thank you everyone for their thoughts and comments.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wheels can be an issue on any sub 7 or 800 quid bike. Ditto tyres on budget roadsters are liable to be barely one step up from disposable.

Im sorry to hear of your wors, but have heard not disimilar stories from owners of similar bikes of similar prices from rival manufacturers. Thats why theyre cheap bikes.

PS - I don't rate Aksiums at all. Go Dt Swiss if youre serious about tough wheels, or go gome.

DRM

Guru
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs171-disc-wheelset
These would have been a better option, and cheaper, if it was me the wheels would be going back to Spa for a refund, I would get something like the above and fit the rotors and cassette from the original triban wheels, alternatively put the bike back to original, take it back to Decathlon, tell them your not happy with the wheels and tyres and get them to sort it, if they give you aftermarket wheels in lieu of the originals happy days, but I think I’d be happy to pay a little bit towards better wheels and let them sort it out fitting the rotors and cassette, I can’t fathom what on earth Spa did to cause the brake rotor to rub on the fork, it should be nowhere near touching the fork leg.
I’m hazarding a guess that if you went to Spa your in North Yorkshire, the nearest Decathlon will be Sheffield, then the Metro Centre, either way it’s a pain in the backside to have to take the bike back all that way, but I think it’s something you’re going to have to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Duc gas

Über Member
Thanks for the advice Sharky, I work on Bultaco Brinco E bikes every day and change tyres every week on these and other bikes including sur rons ( these can be a challenge) but nothing like the challenge of removing the Triban rubber! I think it really will be a Stanley knife when the time comes 😂

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A bit of a thread hijack :smile:
Im considering a wheel upgrade to my vanquish , 135 mm rear hub QR 16 mm rotors and i was wondering what options are out there at the budget sub £150 area .

vickster

Legendary Member
Im considering a wheel upgrade to my vanquish , 135 mm rear hub QR 16 mm rotors and i was wondering what options are out there at the budget sub £150 area .
There are some QR Aksiums in the classifieds

I’d go second hand cyberknight. There isn’t much out there that isn’t thru axle in terms of upgrades. It’s why I got shot of my Boardman after the rear wheel hub disintegrated.

Top Bottom