Triban RC520 ongoing problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
The gear indexing 'issue' is not an issue at all - it's fairly normal.

The solution is simply to not select those combinations of gears.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Welcome to the forum :smile:

I've not read the whole thread but in summary I'd be inclined to write a respectful, restrained and factual one star review of the bike on Decathlon's website - usually this prompts an apologetic response from their staff and some suggestion of recourse. Best case IMO you might be able to sling it all back together in original format and get your money back..

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Sounds like the chain is too short possibly and can’t wrap round big big combination?
Can you cycle through the cassette on the small inner cog on the front?
Its the small inner cog on the front and the harder gears on the back thats the issue. On the big ring at the front all the gears are o.k running smooth.I'm getting someone to look at it again for me tomorrow and I'll report back.

faster

Über Member
Yes, I've not been using those gears but with my other road bike you can use all the gears o.k. on both rings.

That's great, but it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with this bike. On some bikes, the small-small combinations are usable (although god knows why anyone would want to), and things like longer chainstays and a standard rather than a compact crankset make it more likely that small-small is useable.

Both my bikes make a racket in the combinations you are having trouble with, but I consider this optimal. It would be possible to correct (with significant difficulty I might add), but this would be at the detriment of the chain line at the other extreme (big-big combinations).

I'd rather my bike was optimised to work well in gear combinations that I actually use rather than ones I don't.

It should be noted that on many Shimano Di-2 equipped bikes, if certain settings are selected (ie for a compact crankset), it won't even let you select the combinations you are trying to use for this very reason, as the chain rubs on the inside of the big ring.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have you still got the original Triban wheels with the 11 speed cassette- if so go back to Decathlon and insist they resolve it.

Keep the new wheels and resolve the issue with the new cassette on the new rear wheel with Spa separately.,

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its the same cassette.
I wouldn't go back to Spa if you paid me, they didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing from one minute to the next. The reason I didnt complain at the time is that I didn't want the person who messed up to get into trouble at work. He might have been ill or something.

The reason I didnt complain at the time is that I didn't want the person who messed up to get into trouble at work. He might have been ill or something.
but yet you complain and slag off the company, personally i find it better to judge a business on how well they rectify a mistake , not the fact that an employee of theirs made a mistake in the first place, do you honestly think its right to bad mouth them when they are unaware,
it doesnt seem much different with decathlon from where im sitting , you sent an email and got no response , did you not telephone, go to store or anything like that , i don't see how they can resolve an issue until you raise it,

maybe ive read it wrong , i dont know

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'm telling the truth Spa repeatedly messed up everything, not just a simple one off mistake. They were aware, I've no confidence in them, so I wouldn't want my bike back there. End of story. Yes I do think its alright to tell the total truth when a place is as bad as this.
Why should I have to chase Decathlon up?, I sent an email, they didn't bother replying. Both companies I wont ever use again full stop. If companies don't like negative comments then they need to do better than this basically.

Top Bottom