Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
When the lock lever on track-pump valves flips on to your thumbnail. Every. Single. #£&#ing. Time.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
SUV - isn't this just what we used to call a family car? 'Sport Utility' - who are they trying to fool?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Just another way of rebranding the same old polluting mobile lounge promising empty vistas to drive through, a beautiful life and happy family whilst in reality it's still a polluting mobile lounge sitting in a queue of other polluting mobile lounges.

Alex321

Veteran
SUV - isn't this just what we used to call a family car? 'Sport Utility' - who are they trying to fool?

An SUV will usually be 4 wheel drive (though not always nowadays, some ,manufacturers are calling 2WD versions SUVs), while "normal" family cars aren't.

They are also much higher, much uglier(IMO), less fuel efficient, but for some reason, more of a status symbol.

There are still plenty of traditional type family cars around, but they don't seem to be as popular as SUVs.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Didn't an Estate car used to be called a Shooting Brake?
Or am I mis-remembering stuff, as usual..

Shooting Brakes were usually wood framed rear I think but on reflection so were Estate cars. Essentially the same thing but probably more to do with affectation and snobbery. A bit like the different ways of pronouncing garage. Cannot think how to get the difference across in print.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just another way of rebranding the same old polluting mobile lounge promising empty vistas to drive through, a beautiful life and happy family whilst in reality it's still a polluting mobile lounge sitting in a queue of other polluting mobile lounges.

I’m always amazed at car advertising, not a traffic jam in sight, wide sinuous roads with ne’er another vehicle in sight, effortless free parking outside posh restaurants etc.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I’m always amazed at car advertising, not a traffic jam in sight, wide sinuous roads with ne’er another vehicle in sight, effortless free parking outside posh restaurants etc.

It's all b*llsh*t of the highest order in the same way politicians rehash the same old guff and weirdly despite being aware people swallow it repeatedly.

Gillstay

Über Member
A family car used to be longer and lower
either with a boot or a hatchback

An SUV seems to mean the suspension is higher and is looks a bit like a 4x4

seems like it probably has worse wind resistance - but I haven't seen any actually data about that

Yep the mpg figures for all cars in the UK has stopped improving and started going the wrong way and in the States when I looked it up it was 17% worse. Turning bigger, heavier wheels doesn't help.

Top Bottom