Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Allan Beswick is still going ? He was all the rage back in the early 80s when I was a teenager. Blimey.

He is but he only does Saturday and Sunday nights now and that's from his home in North Wales, not the BBC studio in Salford. I have a couple of tickets somewhere from when me and my lady friend at the time in 1985, saw him live on stage, such was his appeal.:rolleyes: ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_lancashire

gbb

Legendary Member
Not particularly trivial but annoys the heck out of me...
A1, 70mph mile after mile it's dual carriageway, it's generally 70mph.
So why do you see so many drivers approach the occasional overhead speed cameras, sometimes at 65mph....and slow down to 60, 55 mph even .
Either way...they dont know the speed limit or they don't know what speed they're doing, they're not aware of what they're doing , worse still brake and cause uncertainty to other road users.

Basic really basic failure of awareness.

On todays ride, I realised the Cyclists Dismount instruction really annoys me, do the people that decide on the signage ride a bike, I think not.

Also - there is never a "Cyclists remount" sign
Hence - logically - once you pass one of these signs then you can never ever ever ride a bike again - ever.

makes no sense!

and most of the time it is totally pointless and/or makes the cycle path pointless anyway!!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Drivers who when in the outside of 2 lanes which blend into 1 after the traffic lights, do not put their left hand indicator on asking to be let in front of the vehicle on their left. I find it very bad mannered. They either seem to think they should just be let in because the road narrows into 1 lane, or they are too thick to be polite.:headshake:

Last edited:
Drivers who when in the outside of 2 lanes which blend into 1 after the traffic lights, do not put their left hand indicator on asking to be let in front of the vehicle on their left. I find it very bad mannered. They either seem to think they should just be let in because the road narrows into 1 lane, or they are too thick to be polite.:headshake:

The German highway code says we should use the "zipper" method in this case with cars alternating to let each other in when a bottleneck occurs. It works surprisingly well...

It's called "merge in turn", so indications shouldn't be needed.

figbat

Slippery scientist

Exactly - it’s not like there’s any other option; it’s obvious what needs to happen.

Venod

Eh up
On the subject of indicators another I arrived at a three junction mini roundabout at the same time as two other cars, myself and the car to my left indicated, the car to my right decided he couldn't be bothered, very annoying.

Alex321

Veteran

You only need to indicate when there is a choice of where you could be going. I wouldn't indicate in that circumstance, or expect others to do so, unless moving left before the filter point.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

More annoying are the self-appointed lane closers (twats) who will block lane 2 800 yards ahead of the merge, thereby creating a greater tailback.

And don’t get me started on drivers who can’t merge onto a motorway properly and will not use the full length of the available slip road. Oh no, instead they stop at the earliest merging point until someone in lane 1 slows or stops to let them on. This stoppage grows and grows, creating delays on the slip and the motorway. There’s no need for it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
More annoying are the self-appointed lane closers (twats) who will block lane 2 800 yards ahead of the merge, thereby creating a greater tailback.

And don’t get me started on drivers who can’t merge onto a motorway properly and will not use the full length of the available slip road. Oh no, instead they stop at the earliest merging point until someone in lane 1 slows or stops to let them on. This stoppage grows and grows, creating delays on the slip and the motorway. There’s no need for it.

All of this!

The other ones are the people joining a motorway or dual carriageway on the slip road who behave as if they have the right of way and those already on the carriageway should get out of the way to let them on. I will move over to lane 2 if it is free to allow their seamless entry, but sometimes I am boxed in and I am not about to jump on the brakes or swerve when the onus is on the joiner to make the manoeuvre safely.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The German highway code says we should use the "zipper" method in this case with cars alternating to let each other in when a bottleneck occurs. It works surprisingly well...

Exactly - it’s not like there’s any other option; it’s obvious what needs to happen.

You only need to indicate when there is a choice of where you could be going. I wouldn't indicate in that circumstance, or expect others to do so, unless moving left before the filter point.
And to anybody I've missed if I have, I still think it's bad mannered to not indicate. Yes it's obvious what they're up to, but just a simple indication in my case stops me thinking ~@#%!!🤬. Then there's the slow moving driver who wants to be let in but can't quite work out how to, which then stops those behind him/her filtering in. This type of driver pulls up at the lights in the outside lane when it'd be so easier for them to go into the inside lane, but no they can't quite work out how it works.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom