Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The entirely superfluous use of the word "off" by cooks and chefs. Seems to be their buzzword at the moment.

The Saturday Kitchen chef last week: "I'm just going to pop the fish in the oven now, to cook off".
No, you're going to pop the fish in the oven to cook.

Hairy Bikers last night: "Just fry the onions off in some olive oil".
No, you're just frying them. No need to add "off".

No idea where this has come from but it sets my bleedin' teeth right on edge!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hairy Bikers last night: "Just fry the onions off in some olive oil".

This really irks me too.

The hairy biker also said he'd add veg to the frying pan to "colour it off". 🤬

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Motorists on single track roads with passing places who assume that the car in front has stopped in a passing place to allow them to pass and not because something is coming towards them. They overtake without thought and are then faced with oncoming traffic ie me on my trike. I have had three in the past couple of weeks. Tourists!

Motorists on single track roads with passing places who assume that the car in front has stopped in a passing place to allow them to pass and not because something is coming towards them. They overtake without thought and are then faced with oncoming traffic ie me on my trike. I have had three in the past couple of weeks. Tourists!
Incorrect thread - that is not trivial it is positively moronically dangerous

Mind you I agree with the 'tourists' part - I used to live in North Wales and there were several single track roads around - I actually had someone refuse to reverse 20 yards to a passing place when the alternative was for me to reverse 200 yards around 3 corners!!!!

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Mind you I agree with the 'tourists' part - I used to live in North Wales and there were several single track roads around - I actually had someone refuse to reverse 20 yards to a passing place when the alternative was for me to reverse 200 yards around 3 corners!!!!
It is very likely that they were incapable of reversing so in my world it is quicker and easier just to reverse myself.
On the overtaking bit I did have an escape possible to a verge if required but I just continued in the middle of the road towards them. One lot did this to two Openreach vans and had to reverse back behind them. They were then stuck there for the rest of the way to the town as the vans refused to pull over for them as they normally would.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

We have these people in rural Norfolk too. I generally keep a book to read in the car now, for such times. It was handy, a while back, while coming face to face (bumper to bumper) with a large car Travelling the wrong way up a narrow, one way street. I just refused to move and waited until he called the police because of my refusal to move. Police were not interested in his tale of woe and inconvenience.

I knew a postman in Somerset who encountered a similar problem in tourist season; his response was to get out his paper and wind all the windows up and let them stew until they realised that he was getting paid to sit there and wait for them...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is very likely that they were incapable of reversing so in my world it is quicker and easier just to reverse myself.
A friend of my sister was driving down a long singletrack lane in Devon when she encountered a car coming the other way. It was made clear to her that the nearest passing place was much closer to her than one that the other driver would have to go back to. She would have had to reverse back up a steep hill round a couple of bends and she got in such a panic about it that she clambered into the back of the car and let her passenger do it!

I think that someone like that should rethink being a driver...
We have these people in rural Norfolk too. I generally keep a book to read in the car now, for such times. It was handy, a while back, while coming face to face (bumper to bumper) with a large car Travelling the wrong way up a narrow, one way street. I just refused to move and waited until he called the police because of my refusal to move. Police were not interested in his tale of woe and inconvenience.
I was cycling round a bend in Old Gate, Hebden Bridge once when someone drove a large 4x4 straight at me. It is a one-way street and he was attempting to do it the wrong way. He had only just got past the No Entry signs so I stopped in the middle of the road, pointed at the signs and shouted "ONE WAY!!!" The driver looked really angry and started inching the car towards me... I could see it ending in a fight and decided that it wasn't worth it so I got out of his way. He floored the throttle and shot past me screaming "F*CK OFF, TW*T!!!"

:cursing:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A friend of my sister was driving down a long singletrack lane in Devon when she encountered a car coming the other way. It was made clear to her that the nearest passing place was much closer to her than one that the other driver would have to go back to. She would have had to reverse back up a steep hill round a couple of bends and she got in such a panic about it that she clambered into the back of the car and let her passenger do it!

I think that someone like that should rethink being a driver...

I was cycling round a bend in Old Gate, Hebden Bridge once when someone drove a large 4x4 straight at me. It is a one-way street and he was attempting to do it the wrong way. He had only just got past the No Entry signs so I stopped in the middle of the road, pointed at the signs and shouted "ONE WAY!!!" The driver looked really angry and started inching the car towards me... I could see it ending in a fight and decided that it wasn't worth it so I got out of his way. He floored the throttle and shot past me screaming "F*CK OFF, TW*T!!!"

View attachment 587344

:cursing:
I can understand the panic at being asked to reverse up a steep hill round a couple of blind bends. It could be dangerous if someone coming down the hill was going just a bit too fast and not able to stop in time.
I have never been in such a situation but could certainly do it.
If I had been the other driver tho' I would not have expected anyone to do it but reversed myself. I have reversed a considerable distance when confronted with an HGV as being much safer for all concerned.
I knew the driver as competent and anyway he had done me a couple of favours in the past.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not calling them people,more idiots!🧐 There i was walking round the aisles in a local supermarket yesterday when some idiot walked into the back of me as i stopped to look at an item and to make matters worse the idiot grumbled to itself...like it was my fault! Why do idiots walk so close to the person in front of them? Do they drive cars in such a manner?🧐 When i'm out walking i don't walk 2 foot behind the person in front of me,so why do idiots do it??!!!!🧐

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm not calling them people,more idiots!🧐 There i was walking round the aisles in a local supermarket yesterday when some idiot walked into the back of me as i stopped to look at an item and to make matters worse the idiot grumbled to itself...like it was my fault! Why do idiots walk so close to the person in front of them? Do they drive cars in such a manner?🧐 When i'm out walking i don't walk 2 foot behind the person in front of me,so why do idiots do it??!!!!🧐
Just as bad as the occasion we were walking along a rough footpath at the edge of a field in Aberdeenshire. A couple were stopped on the footpath looking at a map and we were just about to pass them when they suddenly folded the map and walked off on front about 6 ft away. They did not look at us and they did not speak or acknowledge our existence in any way. We were invisible.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
People who let their dogs bark,when calling radio phone ins annoy me. I'm just listening to one caller who's having to raise his voice to compete with his barking dog. Why didn't he put the dog in another room,or maybe he has done but didn't close the door.🤔

Top Bottom