Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
And to anybody I've missed if I have, I still think it's bad mannered to not indicate. Yes it's obvious what they're up to, but just a simple indication in my case stops me thinking ~@#%!!🤬. Then there's the slow moving driver who wants to be let in but can't quite work out how to, which then stops those behind him/her filtering in. This type of driver pulls up at the lights in the outside lane when it'd be so easier for them to go into the inside lane, but no they can't quite work out how it works.:rolleyes:

I don't think it is "bad manners" at all. Would you also expect people to indicate right (left in RH drive countries) when merging onto a motorway from a slip road? Or left when in a lane made for left turn only?

I have seen people do so in both of those situations, and always wonder why, as there is nothing else they *can* do.

Venod

Eh up
Would you also expect people to indicate right (left in RH drive countries) when merging onto a motorway from a slip road?

I always indicate in this situation, when the traffic is going 70mph it is an extra reminder to them that someone is coming into the lane they may be in, and gives them warning to move over if they can, they don't know I am going to merge I could be broken down.

Last edited:
I always indicate in this situation, when the traffic is going 70mph it is an extra reminder to them that someone is coming into the lane they may be in, and gives them warning to move over if they can, they don't know I am going to merge I could be broken down.
I can’t think of a situation where it would be a bad idea to indicate your intentions to other road users who may, or may not, be fully aware of what’s going on around them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On todays ride, I realised the Cyclists Dismount instruction really annoys me, do the people that decide on the signage ride a bike, I think not.

Elfin safety? I remember a local cyclist getting killed by a left turning truck going into a yard on the northern approach to Ft William. The cyclist was training and going pretty fast and probably not paying attention. The inexperienced driver did not expect a cyclist rocketing into his path. The driver was at fault but the cyclist should also have been paying more attention.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Elfin safety? I remember a local cyclist getting killed by a left turning truck going into a yard on the northern approach to Ft William. The cyclist was training and going pretty fast and probably not paying attention. The inexperienced driver did not expect a cyclist rocketing into his path. The driver was at fault but the cyclist should also have been paying more attention.

Are you talking about the death of Jason McIntyre? If so, you’ve got it wrong.

He was riding south on the A82 towards Fort William when a council flatbed turned right, across his path, to enter a yard. Jason was visible to the driver and another motorist for some time prior to the collision. It was entirely the driver’s fault, trying to get across before the cyclist arrived and leaving Jason no time to avoid the collision.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Are you talking about the death of Jason McIntyre? If so, you’ve got it wrong.

He was riding south on the A82 towards Fort William when a council flatbed turned right, across his path, to enter a yard. Jason was visible to the driver and another motorist for some time prior to the collision. It was entirely the driver’s fault, trying to get across before the cyclist arrived and leaving Jason no time to avoid the collision.

That is indeed to incident I referred to. I was going on newspaper reports which is not a good idea often. The truck must have been going north so the cyclist would have been clearly visible. I had the impression the truck was going south which is a different scenario. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That is indeed to incident I referred to. I was going on newspaper reports which is not a good idea often. The truck must have been going north so the cyclist would have been clearly visible. I had the impression the truck was going south which is a different scenario. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

This is a street view of the direction the guilty driver was facing and the turn he was about to make. (The Ben Nevis Distillery is behind you in this shot.)

There’s still a ghost bike attached to the adjacent fence.

6597B9B6-DD56-432D-9FAB-DCBB4DEA0E0F.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This is a street view of the direction the guilty driver was facing and the turn he was about to make. (The Ben Nevis Distillery is behind you in this shot.)

There’s still a ghost bike attached to the adjacent fence.

View attachment 643172

Thanks for the picture. I am very familiar with that road having travelled it often for business and leisure but not for the last couple of years but I doubt anything has changed much. The road where the van is turning in is much wider than I remember.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our pharmacy is quite small so far as customer area is concerned and more than about 3 or 4 people makes it crowded particularly if you prefer to keep a distance from cruise ship possible plague carriers.
Why then does it need 3 of them to stand around waiting for one of them to buy a very small box of elastoplast while another in front argues with the pharmacist?

Top Bottom