Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Sorry to hear that @theboxers, My wife has just taken the plunge and left teaching after 30 years. Not having to find a job asap helps.
As you can probably tell I'm gonna miss going to work :headshake:

Del C

Veteran
Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of time on my hands soon :blink:. Work have just gone through a re-org and I am probably one of the ones to be let go :huh:. After 30 years I could do with the break :wahhey:. Not sure when it's going to happen, could be next week, could be christmas :dry:.

More time to actually spend on the bike ITRW :unsure:.

I'm not disappointed and I'm not needing to get a job asap as the package isn't too bad. Still more :bicycle:.
2006 when I left Virgin Media, and they'd been re=organising and letting people go since around 2002.

It's quite incredible that they've been able to keep this going for 16 years. I'm surprised anybody is actually still working for them.

Good luck anyway @theboxers. Good to know that you're relaxed about things and don't need to find a new job urgently. Both things help a lot!

theboxers

2006 when I left Virgin Media, and they'd been re=organising and letting people go since around 2002.

It's quite incredible that they've been able to keep this going for 16 years. I'm surprised anybody is actually still working for them.

Good luck anyway @theboxers. Good to know that you're relaxed about things and don't need to find a new job urgently. Both things help a lot!
Yeah I've just managed to be in depts. that have either just gone through the re-org before I joined them or left depts. just before a re-org was announced. My current dept although fairly large, 120 people, is a national dept. So there is usually only one person per area. Hard to reduce that down much without a re-org. They tried 3 years ago and it didn't work, outsourced a fair chunk of work to a contract company expecting us to go chasing the extra money. But nobody went, so the contractor failed to deliver because they couldn't get the quality of staff :dry:.

This re-org is version 2 of 3 yrs ago and I thought as they are offering the option to leave I might as well take it. Not retirement money but not panic about getting a job money either, after all I've been here 30yrs :blink: :ohmy:. Time to 'go write my book' to paraphrase Lionel Tribey.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of time on my hands soon :blink:. Work have just gone through a re-org and I am probably one of the ones to be let go :huh:. After 30 years I could do with the break :wahhey:. Not sure when it's going to happen, could be next week, could be christmas :dry:.

More time to actually spend on the bike ITRW :unsure:.

I'm not disappointed and I'm not needing to get a job asap as the package isn't too bad. Still more :bicycle:.
Congrats? I took VR from a company back in 2007, best decision I ever made. Went contracting and never looked back. Onwards and upwards my friend :okay:

theboxers

Congrats? I took VR from a company back in 2007, best decision I ever made. Went contracting and never looked back. Onwards and upwards my friend :okay:
Could well be that way.

I'm just setting small goals at the moment, like losing 25kg by Christmas :ohmy::headshake:. No seriously. It depends on when this all goes through. I need to lose weight just the schedule is a bit screwed up now :mrpig:.

We have no firm dates yet, but my manager was talking to me about a leaving/re-org drinks thing. So it looks like I'm one of the people going, out of choice though, not by being pushed (I could have secured either job role without any problem and then it may have meant someone leaving who didn't want to, but neither job appealled).

R&R for a while then reassess :unsure:

Breedon

Legendary Member
why didnt we do the velo wales ? just watched it on telly , closed roads , various courses , mini mountains
it ticks all the boxes
or was it a secret and you all done it without me :sad:
I think they don't allow disk brakes for that ride but I might do it next year aswell as the DD

Edit
Yes they do allow disk brakes just been watching it

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
why didnt we do the velo wales ? just watched it on telly , closed roads , various courses , mini mountains
it ticks all the boxes
or was it a secret and you all done it without me :sad:

I think it has been mentioned in the past. Maybe kipster has done it? Or maybe the dragon ride...(easily confused.com...)

I’m up for it. Give anything a go etc. But I would say yes it is closed roads. But there’s a load of other cyclists sharing the road with you. The DD isn’t closed roads but it basically is because most of the roads are so quiet and it’s such a low key event.

CXRAndy

Guru
There will be no events now that don't allow disc brakes. UCI or whatever body allows discs in the peleton, so there is no basis for an arguing against discs

Breedon

Legendary Member
It was last year I think or maybe the year before that we was looking at doing one of the larger Wales rides but one of the events didn't allow disk brakes which seemed very odd at the time and I said I'll do the DD

Breedon

Legendary Member
I think it has been mentioned in the past. Maybe kipster has done it? Or maybe the dragon ride...(easily confused.com...)

I’m up for it. Give anything a go etc. But I would say yes it is closed roads. But there’s a load of other cyclists sharing the road with you. The DD isn’t closed roads but it basically is because most of the roads are so quiet and it’s such a low key event.
I know what you mean there's a trade off of what you're looking for, I'm quite up to doing both hopefully there's a DD next year.

Top Bottom