Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
That lock you’ve linked looks like a ‘coffee stop’ type lock. Ie better for short stops as protection against chancers, but not so good to use for a longer period where people more organised can take the time to go at it. Because it probably isn’t that strong by the look of the strap and lock mechanism. In the uk locks are measured against a rating system, eg gold standard is what you really want in terms of protection as well as what most insurance companies expect you to use.

U type locks are heavy. I mean I guess they varey in weight. But I bought one recently and I found they don’t get lighter the more you spend. In fact it can be the opposite. The most expensive one I saw which was like £150 was also the heaviest. I went from using the motorbike style chan lock which was actually only rated as silver standard. But it ticked a lot of boxes for me. This time I got a u lock from a brand called kryptonite. Who sell a lot of locks here in the uk and are available in most bike shops.

Do you think you’d want to carry a u lock around with you? Will you be staying in places where you can’t keep the bike inside?

Worth a look at www.hiplok.com wearable locks, they seem to get ok reviews. Not as sturdy as a D lock, but probably easier to transport.

kipster

Guru
i dont have a lock , but did see an advert for one made of sort of kevlar that looked very good and could be lighter - but as i say - i have nothing to add to the conversation other than more confusion ! its one of my quirky traits
giraffes have high blood pressure you know
I knew that as well, it's needed to get the blood to the brain

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Thanks for the perfect start to the day. Now during our morning coffee screen time when I laugh out loud my wife knows it's one of you guys. So just now when I read her your post she laughed a little too much. Ouch.

I bought 2 so far. The first ulock is really beefy but way too heavy. The "upgraded" cable lock seems great.

https://www.amazon.com/OTTOLOCK-Com...42986403&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ottolock&psc=1

Still looking for a light ulock type and maybe a GPS tracking unit\ alarm that goes on the seat post.. To be honest I wouldn't have used the big lock in Edinburgh because I thought the cable lock would be good enough for 5 minutes while I checked in. The Ottolock may buy a few more minutes.

What are you using?
I have an Ottolock. Check yours, there was a batch of faulty ones in circulation. They didn't lock when locked and could be pulled apart very easily. Mine is ok, I nearly put my shoulder out trying to pull it open :eek:. I went for a Signal Orange one :becool:

That lock you’ve linked looks like a ‘coffee stop’ type lock. Ie better for short stops as protection against chancers, but not so good to use for a longer period where people more organised can take the time to go at it. Because it probably isn’t that strong by the look of the strap and lock mechanism. In the uk locks are measured against a rating system, eg gold standard is what you

Do you think you’d want to carry a u lock around with you? Will you be staying in places where you can’t keep the bike inside?

Yeah. I take it into the hotel room at night or a lock up if they offer it. The last 15 years never used anything but that 3/8 cable lock using it as a cafe lock...but it was only 6 minutes in Edinburgh from the time I locked it to a bench by the front door and when I went to bring it inside. Those Scott Bike thieves are very efficient.

I'm thinking about this for the second lock.

https://www.tigrlock.com/store/tigrmini/?utm_content=99

@theboxers , yes I did see that but mine is one the good ones also.

CXRAndy

Guru
Randy, there is no lock on the market which isnt breakable in less than 30 secs. Most thieves carry huge bolt cutters or battery powered angle grinders with cutting disc.

I watched a video of a thief removing the latest best rated locks and non withstood removal. Take your bike with you where ever tou go amd alway in eye shot

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Randy, there is no lock on the market which isnt breakable in less than 30 secs. Most thieves carry huge bolt cutters or battery powered angle grinders with cutting disc.

I watched a video of a thief removing the latest best rated locks and non withstood removal. Take your bike with you where ever tou go amd alway in eye shot

I mean if we go on the assumption that George Clooney and the boys from oceans eleven are stealing bikes in their spare time then that might be true! In reality the vast majority of theft is carried out by drug addicts not master criminals (Bob will have a better handle on the specific stats o that). And they’re opportunists..., ie what they have to hand. Eg a scaffold pole, a brick etc etc. They don’t have the ambition or means to have power tools. There is a difference between a good lock and a bad one. As in, they will try and break the bad one first! In the cities we go in the premise that we accept that no lock is in breakable but the tougher the lock the stronger the deterrent. The longer you leave your bike locked up in one place, the more opportunity there is for it to be stolen by more ambitious thief’s basically.

Randy you will defo need a lock of some sort. For going into shops etc etc. I think you were just bloody unlucky to be honest.

On a side note it’s amazing how many times you have to re edit posts when your half pissed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

i dont have a lock , but did see an advert for one made of sort of kevlar that looked very good and could be lighter - but as i say - i have nothing to add to the conversation other than more confusion ! its one of my quirky traits
giraffes have high blood pressure you know

^_^

I only just saw this post. I’m tired but can’t sleep and the missus is snoring like a train!... that true about giraffes? My daughter is mad about giraffes. I could google it I guess... meh...

I mean if we go on the assumption that George Clooney and the boys from oceans eleven are stealing bikes in their spare time then that might be true! In reality the vast majority of theft is carried out by drug addicts not master criminals (Bob will have a better handle on the specific stats o that). And they’re opportunists..., ie what they have to hand. Eg a scaffold pole, a brick etc etc. They don’t have the ambition or means to have power tools. There is a difference between a good lock and a bad one. As in, they will try and break the bad one first! In the cities we go in the premise that we accept that no lock is in breakable but the tougher the lock the stronger the deterrent. The longer you leave your bike locked up in one place, the more opportunity there is for it to be stolen by more ambitious thief’s basically.

Randy you will defo need a lock of some sort. For going into shops etc etc. I think you were just bloody unlucky to be honest.

On a side note it’s amazing how many times you have to re edit posts when your half pissed!
I agree. I think that's why the cable lock worked for all those years. What ever they used to cut it with was very clean. But I guess dudes like you can cut #04 wire with a pair of Kliens with one hand.

IMG_0395.JPG

berty bassett

Legendary Member
^_^

I only just saw this post. I’m tired but can’t sleep and the missus is snoring like a train!... that true about giraffes? My daughter is mad about giraffes. I could google it I guess... meh...
yeh its true - ask kip !has to be high to pump blood up to the noggin AND they only have the same amount of neck bones as we do !
could you ask your daughter how you get pikachu onto a bus ??

you pokemon :rofl: - its the way i tellem ! i cant stop chuckling:biggrin:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Yes Giraffes have a high blood pressure, they also have a clever set of valves in thier neck that shunt blood through other vessels when they lower thier head to drink. Otherwise they would blow thier head off. The flow through the carotid arteries in a Giraffes neck is very similar to a 2" fire hose!!!

Useless facts r us :rofl:

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

yeh its true - ask kip !has to be high to pump blood up to the noggin AND they only have the same amount of neck bones as we do !
could you ask your daughter how you get pikachu onto a bus ??

you pokemon :rofl: - its the way i tellem ! i cant stop chuckling:biggrin:

Yes Giraffes have a high blood pressure, they also have a clever set of valves in thier mechanical that shunt blood through other vessels when rthe lower thier head to drink. Otherwise they would blow thier head off. The flow through the carotid arteries in a girraffg neck is very similar to a 2" fire hose!!!

Ya live and learn eh! Cheers boys!

We went to a stand up show last night. Fearing I wouldn’t hit my quota I may of over done it slightly :B)

Anyone know how giraffes get rid of their hangovers? xx(

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yes Giraffes have a high blood pressure, they also have a clever set of valves in thier mechanical that shunt blood through other vessels when rthe lower thier head to drink. Otherwise they would blow thier head off. The flow through the carotid arteries in a girraffg neck is very similar to a 2" fire hose!!!

They also chew bones of dead animals to get calcium. And walk upwind to browse on acacia trees - reason is the trees release a chemical to warn other trees that they are being 'attacked' which triggers the trees to then release a chemical that is unpalatable . By browsing upwind only trees they have already browsed on will get the warning .... Very clever :okay: I used that fact in my safari guide training practical exam^_^ (little known fact, I am a south African qualified big 5 safari guide :thanks:

Last edited:
Top Bottom