Turbo Trainer. If I've got a power meter, do I need a Smart Trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Am looking to buy a turbo trainer and trying to work out if it's worthwhile forking out the extra for a smart trainer? I have a power meter on my bike which I believe is one way of "upgrading" as it were a basic trainer to more of a smart trainer level. What are the benefits of smart over basic?

Gary E

Veteran
A smart trainer will vary the resistance you feel while you're pedalling.

So, for example, when using Zwift if you go uphill on the virtual course it gets harder to pedal (just like in the real world).

si_c

Guru
^^ this is pretty much it, the interactivity of a smart trainer are what makes it worth while. You can still use Zwift or any other interactive software, it's just you'll have to vary the speed the old fashioned way.

Of course if you already have a power meter you can still use it with a smart trainer, just set your power source to the PM and let zwift adjust the trainer.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
A smart trainer will vary the resistance you feel while you're pedalling.

So, for example, when using Zwift if you go uphill on the virtual course it gets harder to pedal (just like in the real world).
So in your opinion is this automatic resistance adjustment worth the extra cash?

si_c

Guru
So in your opinion is this automatic resistance adjustment worth the extra cash?

I think so yes for a couple of reasons.

If you wanted to use Zwift then it means the environment becomes more engaging if when you ride up a hill you have to change down the gears. Second if you want to do a workout then you have the benefit of ERG mode where the trainer controls the effort you put in - this means that if you are doing 400W intervals you have to do 400W you can't wimp out and do 200W, so you get the full benefit of the workout session. The same applies to trainerroad or any of the other interactive apps.

Lonestar

Veteran
I like the sound of that.I've got an 80 quid job that does as intended.I don't normally change the resistance from what its set.I did an hour last night and my legs were aching all night.changing to a higher gear makes a difference also.I can just about keep up 15mph.:blush:

Gary E

Veteran
For me (and I'm not suggesting that this goes for everyone), yes, worth every penny extra.
But then I use Zwift a lot. It adds to the immersive nature of the experience which goes a long way towards making long Turbo sessions more bearable. Prior to Zwift I hated the idea of even short sessions.

Tin Pot

Guru
Am looking to buy a turbo trainer and trying to work out if it's worthwhile forking out the extra for a smart trainer? I have a power meter on my bike which I believe is one way of "upgrading" as it were a basic trainer to more of a smart trainer level. What are the benefits of smart over basic?

No, you don’t need a smart trainer.

Some people think they’re nicer to use though, for virtual riding. I don’t. Each to their own etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
I use a Wahoo Kickr direct drive and it's the immersive interactive nature that makes using Zwift, Trainer-Road the draw that keeps me coming back multi times a week to train. I've now added my own '''rocker board' to further enhance my indoor riding allowing a sway motion like when riding outside.
20180409_134807.jpg

Depends what you want to do if you just want to train to power and develop speed/power you don't need a smart trainer. But if you want to make the virtual reality more real you do. A smart trainer will vary resistance according automatically to the virtual terrain, i.e higher resistance on a simulated hill climb.

Gary E

Veteran
20180409_134807-jpg.jpg

Wow, nice job.
I've been thinking about doing this for mine but I'm just about to upgrade the trainer so I'm a bit worried that if I make one for the old Turbo it won't fit the new one. I don't mind so much when I'm sitting down but when I get up out of the saddle I wish there was a little bit of sway in the bike as, in real life, I tend to power up hills and waggle the bike underneath me (if you know what I mean).

Just noticed the extra holes with no Tennis balls in, I take it that this lets you alter the amount of sideways resistance?

CXRAndy

Guru
Just noticed the extra holes with no Tennis balls in, I take it that this lets you alter the amount of sideways resistance

Yes, add or remove tennis balls to get desired sway resistance or move further inward to create more lean. All personal preference. I like just a little sway so have them more to the outer edge

Tin Pot

Guru
I use a Wahoo Kickr direct drive and it's the immersive interactive nature that makes using Zwift, Trainer-Road the draw that keeps me coming back multi times a week to train. I've now added my own '''rocker board' to further enhance my indoor riding allowing a sway motion like when riding outside. View attachment 421865

Wowzer. Is this “a thing” or your own crazy invention?

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom