Twr de Cymru

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dic Deryn

Über Member
So setting off tomorrow along Lôn Las Cymru towards Machynlleth with the aim of getting to Cardiff. Camping with a view to bunkhouse Warmshowers if the weather turns wet... we are in Wales after all!

Just a quick note of thanks and appreciation to all who contribute to the forum, I have been able to learn from a wealth of information and knowledge . Will post a travel log when I get back home guys

Slick

Guru
Excellent, enjoy your adventure. :thumbsup:

Crankarm

Guru
Did you ride up and over the Cambrian Mountains and the Brecon Beacons?

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Travel log of my recent cycle tour from North to South Wales.

Introduction
This is my first multi day self supported tour, whilst I have previously cycled across the UK form West to East coast, Aberdaron to Flamborugh and a 3 day tour of North Wales, these have always been with support and accommodation. My aim for this tour was to get to Cardiff from home ( Llanllyfni near Caernarfon), doing this within a loose timescale of 4-6 days. Living in Wales, I have previously cycled much of North Wales, deciding not to be too particular about my route, rather than following the NCN Route 8. Rather plotting as I went, this allowed me to be responsive to the ever changing weather, with the weather for the ride predictably unpredictable for August.

Day 1. Llanllyfni – Machynlleth.
I was scheduled to leave early, around 8:00am, but due to several issues with kit, I didn’t set off until 10:00am. Starting straight from home in Llanllyfni, I joined Lon Las Cymru (NCN Route 8), my intention being to stick to Route 8 for the majority of the day, although I would be using several short cuts that would see me missing out Dolbenmaen and Porthmadog in favour of the A487. I was comfortable doing this as I have ridden the area extensively, it has t be said though, that both areas are worth a visit if you are not familiar with the area. Dolbenmaen for its serenity and Porthmadog for its steam trains and beer!

About 6 miles in the rain began to fall, this was accompanied by a low cloud, giving a wet overcast feel to the day. I met a purple of cyclist visiting the area, they had come from Criccieth heading for Caernarfon where they had left the car, they were both soaked and not equipped for the weather!

upload_2018-8-28_10-14-13.jpeg

Bryncir in the rain. 6 miles in

Getting into Tremadog outside of Porthmadog, I headed along the A487 bypass into Penrhyndeudraeth, where I rejoined Route 8 along Bont Buiret. Route 8 then takes you up into the B roads that run along parallel to the A496, again I preferred the A road as opposed to Route 8, this cut out a load of climbing and the A496 is a quite small A road that is scenic with vistas over Cardigan Bay, stopping off in Harlech for a couple of photos.

upload_2018-8-28_10-22-9.jpeg

Castell Harlech

The weather once again took a turn for the worse, I stopped at an eatery/bar before the village of Llanaber called Norbar. No idea what the name is, no local collection as is the case with many establishments in this area sadly. Having said that the place was friendly enough with a takeaway hatch and a bar

upload_2018-8-28_10-20-53.jpeg
upload_2018-8-28_10-21-27.gif

First “big climb”, provided a steep learning curve (ha ha).

Once the weather had cleared a little and I had finished my coffee, I got back on the bike and headed towards Abermaw (Barmouth), which was packed with tourists, making me glad that I had already eaten, meaning that I could ride straight through the town and onto the Mawddach Trail. The Mawddach Trail runs from Abermaw to Dolgellau passing through Penmaenpool, the George III Hotel is situated here, next to a toll bridge, all very quaint along the Mawddach estuary. As the George III received a 1 Star rating following a Food Hygiene inspection in June 2018, I chose not to stop here and pushed onto the end of the trail in Dolgellau. Once in Dolgellau I grabbed a quick bite at the local Co-op and headed off up over the mountains along route 8. This was the first bit of serious climbing that I had experienced on the bike with the pack and baggage, with my Garmin an 800 ft climb measuring a 16% in places, I found myself searching for a lighter gear, with my current 105 compact drive chain coupled with a 32 T rear cassette proving too heavy for the big climbs.

Once over the top Route 8 crosses the A487, due to both the weather and the amount of dirt and debris on Route 8 I decided to cycle along the A487, it was reasonable quiet but the wind and the rain made it quite a challenging ride in places. As the weather was by this point atrocious, I phoned ahead to a local Pub that rented out rooms, preferring a warm bed to camping. The White Lion had one room left, that I gladly booked, when I arrived the bar staff showed me to a looked bike storage area and I gladly went to my room. After a shower and a change of clothes I went down for a beer and food, with several local ales and good food available a the bar.

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Day 2 . Machynlleth – Pontrhydfendigaid.
Day 2 began with a hop over to a shop over the road for some degreaser and cloths. Both the Mawddach Trail and Route 8 from Dolgellau had left there mark on the bike in the crud and abrasive particles of slate waste. Following that, having forgot my chamois cream, I went to the local bike shop, which was closed down! Google maps told me that the nearest bike shops were in Dolgellau or Aberystwyth. As the weather was not brilliant, I decided to head down toward Aberystwyth and avoid the mountains. The 487 into Aberystwyth is an enjoyable ride if a little hilly in places with plenty of interesting places along the way, such as the village of Furnace, which was originally a blast furnace built in the 12th century.

upload_2018-8-28_10-27-6.gif
upload_2018-8-28_10-27-35.jpeg
upload_2018-8-28_10-35-14.jpeg

A village called Furnace south of Machynlleth

upload_2018-8-28_10-28-46.gif
upload_2018-8-28_10-29-11.jpeg
upload_2018-8-28_10-34-41.jpeg

Relief, cream from Summit Cycles and a beer by the train station Wetherspoons

Once in Aberystwyth I popped into Summit Cycles for some chamois cream. The chap at Summit was most helpful, telling me that Route 81 named the Ystwyth Trail was a nice ride out of town. After lunch at the local Wetherspoon’s I set off, seeing an NCN blue way marker I turned left, that it soon became apparent was a mistake. I found out after the first climb out of Aberystwyth that I was heading back North. Cursing my poor sense of direction, I turned back down and climbed the southerly route out of town, rejoining Route 81.

The tarmac of the Ystwyth Trail soon gave way to gravelled bridleways, being a busy stretch of the NCN, with cyclists and walkers a plenty. The second half of the day was a very pleasant ride along bridleways which included some enjoyable single track!!

upload_2018-8-28_10-31-14.gif
upload_2018-8-28_10-31-42.gif

The Ystwyth Trail. With its single track.

Day 2 ended with a really nice ride into Pontrhydfendigaid, a small village 5 miles north of Tregaron in rural Welsh speaking Ceredigion. I was aiming for a campsite just North of the village and popped into the village shop for some beer, food and directions. When I asked which direction the camp site lay, the shopkeeper replied “fynu ben rhiw “ meaning on top of the hill, of course I replied, they are always on top of a hill…. Ha ha . As I got to the top of the hill I found a small campsite that had excellent facilities and the added bonus of a pub serving beer and food directly opposite……result!!

upload_2018-8-28_10-32-19.gif
upload_2018-8-28_10-32-43.jpeg

Camp set up for the night, onto the pub!

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Did you ride up and over the Cambrian Mountains and the Brecon Beacons?

Hi Crankarm

I went over the Cambrian mountains South of Elan Valley and over the Brecon Beacons at Bwlch y Fan, which is a gap between Pen y Fan and Cribyn. The route I took follows the Roman Road the Route 8 uses in a few places. I’ve uploaded some photos below of both ranges.

The first four are of the Cambrian Mountains, with the last two of the Brecon. I will post a Strava Link that has a few more photos on this thread.

Attachments

• BA76346A-B32C-44E1-8891-6E59A4D4DF4B.jpeg
    BA76346A-B32C-44E1-8891-6E59A4D4DF4B.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 45
  • F11F1767-FD10-4631-AB85-7B72FEA6CE23.jpeg
    F11F1767-FD10-4631-AB85-7B72FEA6CE23.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 41
  • 475839D8-3B91-48F5-A548-B2BAE89830D3.jpeg
    475839D8-3B91-48F5-A548-B2BAE89830D3.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 321AEB98-9078-4125-88E1-5A3E5AE4238E.jpeg
    321AEB98-9078-4125-88E1-5A3E5AE4238E.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 7F1F5520-4E6C-4A8F-BB22-2078A29A9E04.jpeg
    7F1F5520-4E6C-4A8F-BB22-2078A29A9E04.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 42
  • D9CE8DDB-9693-4094-BA22-513882348992.jpeg
    D9CE8DDB-9693-4094-BA22-513882348992.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 41

Crankarm

Guru
Hi Crankarm

I went over the Cambrian mountains South of Elan Valley and over the Brecon Beacons at Bwlch y Fan, which is a gap between Pen y Fan and Cribyn. The route I took follows the Roman Road the Route 8 uses in a few places. I’ve uploaded some photos below of both ranges.

The first four are of the Cambrian Mountains, with the last two of the Brecon. I will post a Strava Link that has a few more photos on this thread.

Wow, you did well on a road bike with skinny tyres!

OP
OP
Dic Deryn

Dic Deryn

Über Member
Day 3. Pontrhydfendigaid – Brecon
Day 3 started with some ominous clouds to the east, as I brewed my coffee the clouds turned into rain . This made me reconsider my route and iI decided to head to Tregaron and follow some B roads that were closer to Sea Level in order to shelter from the low cloud and drizzle. I had always wanted to visit a Cistercian Abbey within the locality. Ystrad Ffleur or Strata Florida is an amazing site where the ruins of this once great Abbey are preserved by CADW. I spent over an hour at the site, marvelling at its size and history, well worth the visit! As I as leaving Ystrad Ffleur, the weather was positively summer esque, making me think that a bit of climbing might be in order. I decided to head towards the forested hills surrounding the Abbey, which of course meant crossing the Cambrian mountains just South of Elan valley. Upon reaching the end of the tarmac road and the beginning of the forest fire road, I was passed by a Mountain Biker with 3” tyres and a rear cassette the size of a dinner plate! He was nice enough and like me was cycling the road for the first time, so neither of us could say which set up was best suited for the ride ahead (hint, it was his!). As I started climbing, I noticed signs of logging work going on in the forest above and was soon passed by a a large 18 wheel lorry going up the hill to collect another load of felled trees. The further I climbed the worse the weather became, with the low cloud obscuring what must be magnificent vistas and also bringing drizzly rain every so often.

upload_2018-9-3_22-22-46.jpeg

Morning essentials

upload_2018-9-3_22-25-47.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-26-43.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-39-15.jpeg

Strata Florida - Ystrad Ffleur

When I fist decided on a North to South route, I was torn between an all road tour or one that combined a few off road sections. This was to play a major part in my setting up of the bike, tyre size, mudguards etc. With the weather being predictably unpredictable, I opted for a conservative road based setup with 28mm Shwalbe Lugano road tyres and mudguards. On a whole the 28mm Lugano’s coped very well with the forest road providing a fair amount of grip on the clay rutted surface during the climbs and sure footed on the descent, although rain coupled with the 18 wheel lorries, did mean that the road surface was a bit “slidey” in places.
upload_2018-9-3_22-28-24.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-28-59.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-34-26.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-41-46.jpeg

‘Claggy’ climb through the forest and down the other side

The climb through the forest road gave way to a tarmac downhill, the road skirted through the mountains, which provided a welcome respite from the days climbing. With the weather once again turning wet I embarked on the day’s second climb, over the Cambrian Mountains down to Abergwesyn, marked as the Devil’s Staircase on Strava with a consistent 1:4 climb! Once over the top it was another sharp descent with alpine style hairpins and all! This mad up and down was definitely one of the highlights of the the tour so far, although I would recommend that you take plenty of supplies food wise.I soon found myself in Llanwrtyd Wells (along with the rain following a close second), with not much going on in the village, I bought a Pasta Pot from the local shop and had some food. With no phone signal to talk of, I soon set off towards Built Wells….. Big mistake!! My route was to follow the A483 and then the A40 on to Brecon, however, I turning left meant that I got to experience the nice climb up to Sennybridge. This was a really hard climb up the B4519, but an experience none the less, with the local farmers turning out the sheep coupled with MOD signs regarding live ammunition testing and red flags it was a surreal climb.

upload_2018-9-3_22-35-8.jpeg

upload_2018-9-3_22-35-52.jpeg

Up (again) over the Sennybridge firing range
Once onto Capel Uchaf I travelled onto Brecon and into a killer headwind, I felt tired and spent and hungry. Brecon is a nice little town if a little erm…. Twee is the nicest way I can put it, it certainly is a contrast from the last town I was in Aberystwyth, in terms of how it identifies itself from a Welsh perspective, although being on between both the Cambrian and Brecon mountain ranges, the only way is up in terms of cycling away from the town.

Top Bottom