Unclipping with your non dominant foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As posted on another thread - The only time i`ve fallen is when I couldnt unclip my left foot for some reason, so unclipped my right. However, as I always unclip my left so I can put it on the kerb, verge, my brain seemed confused and could`nt work out how to stand still with my right foot solidly on the ground. I did a little dance and then fell over

Jockulele

I don't understand that. Surely if your left foot is unclipped, the danger is that you would capsize to starboard (fall to the right). Assuming you live in a country that drives on the left.
What Brandane said above.
You are more likely to fall the way you are leaning i.e. the unclipped side ( in my opinion)

Lozz360

Veteran
What Brandane said above.
You are more likely to fall the way you are leaning i.e. the unclipped side ( in my opinion)
OK I understand now. It's just that the only time (two actually) I've had a moment is when I've accidentally leant on the side that's still clipped in.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I broke my right hip 3 weeks ago. I cycled for a week before i found out it was broken. I unclip my left foot when stopping so it wasn't too bad but when i unclipped the right foot to get off the bike it was like an electric shock going up my leg!:eek:

My mate did the same @Accy cyclist
fortunately they fixed it ,broke at the bottom ofcthe ball..
he has very good muscle tone from years of racing etc , he said it was really odd as his leg was all wobbly and made clippingvin awkward..then found out the crash had broke the hip..

gws buddy ,that must be a bstid with work etc

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My mate did the same @Accy cyclist
fortunately they fixed it ,broke at the bottom ofcthe ball..
he has very good muscle tone from years of racing etc , he said it was really odd as his leg was all wobbly and made clippingvin awkward..then found out the crash had broke the hip..

gws buddy ,that must be a bstid with work etc

Not just work but cycling as well! It pains me as i can't go out with my group on Wednesdays,especially with a great weather forecast for tomorrow.:sad: That git who knocked me off hasn't been in touch either,to see how i am!:angry:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Right dominant, left unclip here too.

Now that I have a considerable mileage doing it, it does indeed feel weird to try both unclipping the right and leaning that way. I don't know that it's exactly muscle memory or what-have-you but if some event requires a sudden stop I can do it almost unconsciously to the left but cannot do so nearly as fast to the right, I still need to actively think about that. I suppose almost in the same way we are naturally one side dominant in the first place according to the anthropologists, it's that much quicker because you don't have to consider which to use.

As @Ajax Bay I am also curious if it would be the same way around had I learned clipless on the continent? I haven't cycled there, but I have driven and it never feels natural now to change gear right handed for instance, even if I am right handed :wacko:.

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

As posted on another thread - The only time i`ve fallen is when I couldnt unclip my left foot for some reason, so unclipped my right. However, as I always unclip my left so I can put it on the kerb, verge, my brain seemed confused and could`nt work out how to stand still with my right foot solidly on the ground. I did a little dance and then fell over

THIS. This is exactly what it was like for me and the reason I started the thread. It was such a bizarre feeling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I suspect (I don't know) that the main reason for left foot unclipping is because the natural starting position for a right-footed person is left foot down and right foot ready to give the initial shove with the stronger right leg. I'm guessing that camber and kerb position are secondary.

In my case, due to an old injury that is the much stronger right leg. But I very often unclip both feet when rolling up to a junction anyway.

Steady

Über Member
The only time my right foot (dominant ) comes out of the clips is when I'm back at home, or taking a break that involves getting off the bike. I struggle massively to get it clipped in so I just don't bother taking it out.

stalagmike

Enormous member
The only time my right foot (dominant ) comes out of the clips is when I'm back at home, or taking a break that involves getting off the bike. I struggle massively to get it clipped in so I just don't bother taking it out.

Seems quite common to have one foot that is hard to get clipped in. I wonder if it's to do with cleat position. Do most people have them the same on both shoes when they might need to be positioned differently for each foot. Or maybe it's just to do with left/right footedness.

hekaty

I am right footed but always unclip with my left first. Don't think I've ever even tried to unclip with my right first!

I've always thought it looks odd when behind a motorbike at lights, they seem to put their right foot down. I guess that's a brake/gear/clutch thing going on but I've never ridden a motorbike so no idea.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I am right footed but always unclip with my left first. Don't think I've ever even tried to unclip with my right first!

I've always thought it looks odd when behind a motorbike at lights, they seem to put their right foot down. I guess that's a brake/gear/clutch thing going on but I've never ridden a motorbike so no idea.
It is, left foot is gears on most modern motorbikes* (clutch left hand, front brake right hand), so neutral to first is left foot.

*Some old m/c, inc English ones like Triumph I believe had gears on the right, if you go back far enough they were elsewhere entirely hands or such.... right foot is rear brake or combination rear and one of two front brakes, not really needed in a getaway from the lights.

Top Bottom