Unclipping with your non dominant foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Inwards ?you rotate away from bike , ie,,outwards
Whilst the heel rotates out the toe rotates in......You are both probably barking up different ends of the same (stick) foot.

Last edited:

e-rider

crappy member
Whilst playing 5 a side a few weeks back, I was kindly given a sprain on my left ankle by an opposition player. This left me on opiate painkillers and crutches for a week and today was my first day back on the bike. My word was it agony to unclip with my normal left foot. Something to do with the required ankle rotation was seriously painful.

So I tried to unclip with my right (dominant) foot, something I've never done before. Though it wasn't natural, I managed to do it shakily, but when it came to stopping on the bike at a traffic light, I was massively unbalanced. Does anyone else get this when using your 'wrong' foot or am I just a dweeb?
I get the same

Ajax Bay

Guru
You are more likely to fall the way you are leaning i.e. the unclipped side
the only time (two actually) I've had a moment is when I've accidentally leant on the side that's still clipped in
It is rather difficult to fall the opposite way to the way you are leaning (likely and by design the side you've unclipped). Which is why, for the majority (on here) who seem to have a preference for unclipping on the left (kerb side), I counsel deliberate care when manoeuvring at zero speed trying to turn the bike round to the right. Because one can then fall, right shoe still clipped in and the bike ends on top of one (and one get a third cat tat). If the bike is loaded (ie saddlebag/rack bag) it is then rather difficult to unclip the right shoe as its heel trapped against the unforgiving tarmac. (I assume panniers would give you a bit more space to unclip - YMMV.) Don't ask me how I know :laugh:.
Whilst the heel rotates out the toe rotates in
(While not disagreeing) on SPD-R and Look pedal/cleat combo, while unclipping the front engagement of the cleat remains static (rotating about a point) and the rear of the cleat (and by extension the heel) moves outwards: the shoe/foot rotates about the axis/pivot of the front engagement of the cleat, which is behind the toes. The main lever is the heel being forced outwards.

Top Bottom