Unclipping with your non dominant foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

Whilst playing 5 a side a few weeks back, I was kindly given a sprain on my left ankle by an opposition player. This left me on opiate painkillers and crutches for a week and today was my first day back on the bike. My word was it agony to unclip with my normal left foot. Something to do with the required ankle rotation was seriously painful.

So I tried to unclip with my right (dominant) foot, something I've never done before. Though it wasn't natural, I managed to do it shakily, but when it came to stopping on the bike at a traffic light, I was massively unbalanced. Does anyone else get this when using your 'wrong' foot or am I just a dweeb?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I naturally unclip first with my left, but that does not mean that you are not a dweeb.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I normally unclip with my right foot. My two clipless moments have both been falls to the left, so I sometimes practice unclipping with my left and it doesn't come easily.

So if you're a dweeb, so am I ( and :tongue: to @Dogtrousers ! ;))

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always unclip the left foot first, given a chance. It feels odd doing right first, but I had to do it a couple of times in Scotland last week after steering off the edge of the road between passing places to allow oncoming traffic through.

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

I didn't think you were supposed to unclip until you reached your destination :whistle:
Yeah yeah, whatever you show-off ^_^

stalagmike

Enormous member
I have found left foot more natural but in my playing days I could kick with both feet. I think there might be something about cog side and non - cog side and the perception of space that there is for your foot to angle inwards. Or that could be complete rubbish too of course.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Me too. Don't think I've ever tried to unclip with the right foot first. Don't think I'd be too successful, either.

Yet I'm a right footer, which is my dominant foot. I do unclip with my left foot every now and then but it's bleedin' weird.

jim55

Guru
I have found left foot more natural but in my playing days I could kick with both feet. I think there might be something about cog side and non - cog side and the perception of space that there is for your foot to angle inwards. Or that could be complete rubbish too of course.

Inwards ?you rotate away from bike , ie,,outwards

Jockulele

I always unclip left foot first .
I always thought it was a safety thing so that if you overbalanced you would fall towards the roadside/kerb.
I watched my missus unclip her right foot first and teeter a bit as a van was bearing down on us on a single track road and was terrified she was going under the wheels.

Top Bottom