Unclipping with your non dominant foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Me too. Don't think I've ever tried to unclip with the right foot first. Don't think I'd be too successful, either.

my right foot is my dominant foot and i have unclipped with it in the past, A little awkward yes but so long as your balance is good and you can shift your weight over to the side you want your bike to lean its not much of an issue. I read the road ahead and if i know i have to stop then i will unclip either foot to anticipate the stop. In total i had just 3 clipless moments but after a few weeks clipping out was second nature.

But i do like the sounds of cyclists clipping in and out on group rides :tongue: It is one of the most satisfying sounds in the world :tongue:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I broke my right hip 3 weeks ago. I cycled for a week before i found out it was broken. I unclip my left foot when stopping so it wasn't too bad but when i unclipped the right foot to get off the bike it was like an electric shock going up my leg!:eek:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm right footed and always un-clip with the left. It means that I can stick that foot on the top of the curb and not leave the saddle. I can stay on the saddle and unclip both feet, but I'm on my "points", and I really don't have the beauty or body of Rudolf Nureyev.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is it not mostly to do with the camber of the road? Since we ride on the left side of the road, when we stop mother nature dictates that we are going to fall to the left and that is why we put the left foot down first. If we were on the other side of the road then the natural thing to do would be to put the right foot down first.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is it not mostly to do with the camber of the road? Since we ride on the left side of the road, when we stop mother nature dictates that we are going to fall to the left and that is why we put the left foot down first. If we were on the other side of the road then the natural thing to do would be to put the right foot down first.
I think you could be right, together with the 'fall away from traffic' thing. It is a long time since I cycled in Spain but I think I did a lot more unclipping on the RHS there than I do in the UK.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys

If the road is very badly cambered you should dab on the short side or you might have a long way to fall. As I found out one day on a pretty heavy motorbike :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tested this during the ride to my son's school this morning. Sometimes we would try to out-trackstand each other. Sometimes when the kerb was to my left I would unclip the left foot and rest it on the kerb and other times I would unclip the right foot and rest it on the road. I never laid down in an untidy heap :tongue:

Lozz360

Veteran
I always unclip left foot first .
I always thought it was a safety thing so that if you overbalanced you would fall towards the roadside/kerb.
I watched my missus unclip her right foot first and teeter a bit as a van was bearing down on us on a single track road and was terrified she was going under the wheels.
I don't understand that. Surely if your left foot is unclipped, the danger is that you would capsize to starboard (fall to the right). Assuming you live in a country that drives on the left.

Lozz360

Veteran
I unclip which ever foot is handy for a kerb to rest it on. When I start the journey, I always clip the right foot in first. That way the dominant foot provides initial push and there is no chance of getting oil from the chain on calf or trousers.

Top Bottom