up for a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Well another great ride in the books. I'm running out of things to say about how nice these rides are. People are going to start thinking I'm making all this stuff up, it's a good thing I've got video proof.
I set off with wet roads underneath my tires and a light drizzle keeping me cool for the first 8 miles or so. By the time I reached Ely the rain had stopped and it was just overcast. The weatherman had forecast a sunny day with some clouds, and some winds which would come into play on our return to Ely. The weatherman got it right for once as the rest of day was lovely.
When I got to Ely I was surprised to be the first there. I was soon joined by Brian hauling a seat which Dave has been looking forward to getting his hands on. Dave showed up and after a bit of chit-chat we were set to roll out and then John came around the corner. That was a nice surprise, and after a bit more talking we set off for Littleport. We had quite a nice pace, and as the road/traffic were playing nice we made a good 17 mile push into our ride before pulling up and dropping our feet for a few minutes which was along the river in Lakenheath. We happened to see what we suspected was an Adder along the river bank in a Blackberry bush. For those of you that don't know an Adder is the only poisonous snake native to the UK. We headed from there to Judes Ferry in West Row to collect that pint that had been calling our names since we'd set off from Ely. We had our pint along Lark River, it went down to fast. Thanks for that Dave. Back on the road to Ely and things went smooth barring a little headwind as we hit the last 8 miles or so. My right thigh didn't appreciate the extra resistance by this point I was 47 miles in to the ride and was holding back some pretty good cramps. We made it back to Ely drama free though. It was a good time so thanks John, Brian and Dave.
I had another 14 miles to get home, and with the cramping I had to stop twice but I did it. A hard earned 67 miles my longest ride to date. Plus I can put a check mark in the metric century box. Well thanks for reading and watching hope you can join us on a ride one day.

Will

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I don't think you mean Asp - legend says this is what killed Cleopatra. The British venomous snake is the Adder they like heath land and are quite common in areas of East Anglia such as Thetford Forest.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Will have to try and join you for a ride sometime. Not too far away in West Norfolk, but I haven't sorted a means of transporting my trike yet. (so I just ride it to where I want to be.....which is fortunately so far not further away than my legs can take me)

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Will have to try and join you for a ride sometime. Not too far away in West Norfolk, but I haven't sorted a means of transporting my trike yet. (so I just ride it to where I want to be.....which is fortunately so far not further away than my legs can take me)

If you can't make one of the Sunday rides. The Mildenhall Cycling Rally will be the last weekend of August. There will be a good group of recumbent riders here. I would lean towards that if you can. Hope to see you soon, and may all your rides be safe with the wind at you back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Another Sunday recumbent group ride in the books. We had fun even with all the climbing. To be fair Jon did warn us but it was worse than I had guessed. There was a treat at the end though. A nice hot drink and a loaded Brownie. Did a Q&A section with some DF riders then headed home as the rain kicked in. The ride was only out done by the quality of the company.

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Bit of short notice I know but looks like we're off for a ride. We'll be rescuing a kids trampoline from Northwold to be convert to a Lepus seat. Jon's thinking outside the box is coming on leaps and bounds. The ride is every inch of 50 miles with a pub stop at Oxborough for anyone who'd care to partake. Weather looks ok for the ride but may deteriorate come early afternoon, so around the time we'd be getting back. Anyway, hope you can make the ride, and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Meeting at Angels Café Sunday @0800

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3194688-80km-50-mile-loop-mildenhall-stoke-ferry/

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
You're getting closer to my neck of the woods....I hope to do a 100 mlies to Norwich and back on Saturday so definitely won't be up for this the day after. I have booked camping for the Mildenhall Rally - so hope to be able to meet up for a ride out over the weekend. (Planning to cycle there - so if weather forecast is lousy I will bale out)

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

I hope you have a nice ride this weekend. If you're coming to the Rally I'll be leading ride Saturday and Sunday. The set off time will be 0930 for both days. As to where we go I'll leave that up to those joining the ride the morning of. I suspect it will be Ely Cathedral Saturday andThetford Forest Sunday. See you soon.

Will

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Well what can I say. The weather was perfect, maybe too perfect I'll get to that later. I lead us toward Kenny Hill when we should have been going toward Lakenheath. Jon made the route and I never asked which direction was start and finish. We didn't get out of Beck Row before we figured it out. Things remained uneventful until we were leaving Feltwell for Methwold. As we entered a scene I can only liken to "The Hills have eyes." I kept waiting to see someone chasing us with a mask made of someone else's skin.
We picked up the Trampoline and quickly made it to our designated stop in Oxborough. While we were there I made a joke about not being as old Jon and Dave which is why I'll be sticking to 2-wheels. I'd pay for that as soon as we took off again. To say I felt a bit sluggish would've been an understatement. I was nauseas, and weak. Which isn't what you want with 20 miles to get home, but the "old guys," looked after me and got home in one piece. I thought it was a bug, but turns out it was more likely heat stress. I think 41 miles the day before left me low on fluids and with it being so warn on Sunday I was just a bit over cooked. Live and learn, but make sure you have friends around to get you home.

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

This Sunday's ride was a blast. Dave planned the route and Jon made some revision to it to keep us off any roads that were to busy. We met at the filling station in Kentford and left 4-deep (Jon, Dave, Brian, and I) expecting to meet a fifth enroute.
Which came to fruition after the first climb. We were joined by Peter for the first time. He'd ridden quite a way to join up with us that morning as well, something like 15 miles. After a short introduction we were back at it. We had 3 good climbs and 3 or 4 short ones. With the highlight being our stop at the Udder room, which is really shaping up to be a diamond in rough.
I decided to have a nice push out of Barrow and left the group which was a bad idea. We got spread out and Brian missed the turn off. I had to chase him down into Tuddenham while the others took a 1.5 mile run to our finishing point. Brian and I had to do a 4 mile loop, which is why Jon, Dave and Peter were waiting for us in the last clip.
Special thanks to Peter and Brian for making the extra effort to join us. Good ride guys, can't wait for the next one. I'm going to recommend the ride from Ely to Cambridge.

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Hello again my fellow riders, bent and otherwise. Looks like the Mildenhall Cycling Rally has finally arrived, I wasn't sure it was coming back around on the calendar for a short time but no, here it is. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and from the sounds of it some new ones as well. The weather looks to be in our favor at this point, no rain and in the 70's for Saturday and Sunday.
Right let's get down to business. Saturday morning I'd like to meet up @0930 just in front of the Middle School opposite the roundabout.(I've added a link of the rally site below)Once we get the hello's out of the way we can vote on were we'd like to go. Last years ride was a mixed group of recumbents and DF's and that suits me down to the floor, the more the merrier. There will be 3 others that ride with me regularly plus a fair few who're familiar with the areas around Mildenhall. This will come in handy if the group gets spread out or we do more than one route.
We'll follow the same criteria for Sunday, Meet up @0930 at the same spot and we can take a vote and decide where we'd like to go. Far as Monday I know most will be gone already but if anyone wants to do an early 20 or 30 before setting off I'm happy to entertain that with a nice loop around the villages.

For all those planning on attending see you soon. For those on the fence still, don't miss out a great time.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=57 ... 74535&st=4
here's a video from last years ride

Will

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The start point for Saturday and Sunday will the rally grounds. There is a large roundabout adjacent to the grass field the races are held on where we'll be meeting up. You can't miss it.
Here's a site map. Plus the Rally site link.
http://www.mildenhallrally.org.uk/startpage.htm

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=570425&y=274535&z=0&sv=570425,274535&st=4

Well with two 100 milers under my belt this month, I think I will manage 50 to Mildenhall - laden with tent, sleeping bag etc. I hope to find a route that is downhill all the way to the rally site! Hopefully see some of you there and join a ride or two....

Top Bottom