[UPDATE] Smokeysmoo down (not bike but work injury!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Working for a drainage company as I do I was cleaning drains on a building site today when the high pressure jetting hose ruptured at 2000psi - right in my face!

Upshot was me being thrown sideways, losing my balance and falling onto a kerb edging with my side.

Initial panic was severely blurred vision in my right eye and severe abdominal pain from the kerbing.

Taken to Fairfield A&E in Bury by ambulance, (on the insistence of the sites H&S man), but thankfully my vision was returning by the time I got there, and was almost 100% by the time I left. I was seen by an ophthalmologist who said I've been very lucky but has prescribed antibiotic eye drops anyway just in case.

Abdo pan diagnosed as 'just' muscular, or in other words, "shut up you girl and take some painkillers!"

Face looks like I've been in the ring with Mike Tyson:boxing:lips and cheeks are swollen and my eyes are blackening nicely :B) plus I've got various cuts, scrapes and grazes from where I hit the hardcore surface like a sack of spuds.

The face, eyes, cuts and scrapes I'm not fussed about as they aren't causing me any great discomfort, but my side feels like it did a few years ago when I had a big MTB off and bruised a load of ribs! Suffice to say deep breaths hurt and getting up off the couch REALLY hurts, in fact I've just had to get on my knees and crawl to the bloody stairs to get myself upright!

God knows how I'll feel tomorrow, but I'm guessing probably like a train has gone over me in the night :surrender:

Happy Friday everyone :biggrin:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
fortunately you're a Lancashire lad... you'll be right as rain by Monday :thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sorry to hear about your accident. Yes it sounds like you were very lucky indeed, and yes again, tomorrow you will feel even worse. Take it easy. Take pain killers and don't overdue things. And good luck

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ouch ! :sad:

GWS -
smiley-eatdrink013.gif

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Glad your ok !
When was the last time the jest washer/hose was safety checked ? we have to sign off daily sheets when using industrial equipment .If the hose ruptured was it worn or had it got caught on something ?
I think you can see where this is going , if they gave you defective equipment to work with then you can take them to the cleaners ( yes the pun was intended )

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Glad your ok !
When was the last time the jest washer/hose was safety checked ?
Trouble is a hose can look fine but could be damaged internally, (like a cf frame I suppose), so something could be signed off at 09:00 but then fail at 09:10. 2000 psi does tend to find any weakspots.

Hoses fail, it happens sometimes. There's about 120 metres of hose on my wagon, so the chances of it happening the way it did must be minimal.

$hit happens, sometimes it's somebodys fault, sometimes it isn't :smile:

Top Bottom