Upgrading mechanical disc brakes to hydraulic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levarg

Regular
I've got a Pinnacle Arkose 1 with Tektro Mira mechanical disc brakes and Sora shifters. I'm generally happy with the bike except for the brakes, which are absolute pants.
Can anybody recommend the best way to upgrade this setup to hydraulic brakes? Is it even possible? And what would be the best brakes to go for?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have been considering the Giant Conduct hydraulic brake system for my Revolt which also has Mira brakes at the moment. You don't need to switch the shifters out and the cost is about £125 not including fitting.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct

Replacement of brakes and shifters is the only way. You can probably improve them though. Either with different pads or even different calipers, like Spyres or as per above, which looks interesting.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've got a Pinnacle Arkose 1 with Tektro Mira mechanical disc brakes and Sora shifters. I'm generally happy with the bike except for the brakes, which are absolute pants.
Can anybody recommend the best way to upgrade this setup to hydraulic brakes? Is it even possible? And what would be the best brakes to go for?

A cable operated hydraulic calliper would be a simple and worthwhile upgrade.

TRP were among the first with their Hy-Rd.

A quick google suggests there aren't many about, but you may find some in stock somewhere.

An alternative is Juin Tech.

The kit in this link is £150+, but it includes everything you would need, including new rotors which you wouldn't need.

A cheaper way - if you can find one on sale - is to buy single cable operated hydraulic calliper and just replace the front.

The vast majority of braking is done by the front brake, so that would give you most of the benefit for half the cost.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juin-Tech-Hydraulic-Cable-Brake/dp/B00QSEPP3Y

OP
OP
levarg

levarg

Regular
The Giant Conduct is certainly an option. As are the TRPs and Juin Techs. Thanks.
TBH, I wasn't aware of such hybrid systems. They may be the best way for me to go, as it's only a budget bike and spending more than £150-200 on a brakes upgrade is probably not the most cost effective solution.

si_c

Guru
You can't go hydraulic with that setup unfortunately without replacing the whole groupset - which would cost IRO £500 for hydraulics.

A better choice would be to replace the relatively low-end calipers you have with something better, Avid BB7s, or TRP Spyres. Better yet would be the TRP Hy/Rd which give you most of the advantages of hydraulics without the pain of replacing all your existing kit. Expect to spend over £100 to get both brakes sorted - so as @Pale Rider suggested swapping just the front brake out would be the most cost effective choice. You will also need to factor in replacement brake cables - you'll need compressionless rather than standard cables to get the best out of disk brakes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
30% discount here, plus an extra 10% with British Cycling.

Still bloomin expensive though.

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano...r-with-r8070-flat-mount-caliper-pair-EV310887

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have tpr Hylex (full hydro) on my Arkose and they are ace, and quite cost effective, you do need to switch to bar end gear shifter(s)* though.
*mine is single chainring.

Good afternoon,

It is very possible that I am being excessively cautious, but I would contact the fork maker first.

I know that there is a Pinnacle Arkose 2 which has hydraulic disc brakes so it is quite likely that the front fork will be able to handle a better disc brake, but it is not me going to have a crash if the fork can't. :smile:

Bye

Ian

si_c

Guru
Good afternoon,

It is very possible that I am being excessively cautious, but I would contact the fork maker first.

I know that there is a Pinnacle Arkose 2 which has hydraulic disc brakes so it is quite likely that the front fork will be able to handle a better disc brake, but it is not me going to have a crash if the fork can't. :smile:

Bye

Ian
Fork will be fine. It's most likely even the same frame and fork between models.

Top Bottom