Video: How much room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
bleeding hell, how close to curb is he when he fnished pulling back in, very poor driving

Similar to that bus overtake in Walthamstow the other week...when I was aware I braked immediately because I knew the bus would pull in.

karan733

Having worked in customer services in a call centre, that email is basically following the rulebook which sets out to pacify the customer so that they dont have to deal with the complaint. Id pursue it further, ask to see the notes of the meeting between driver and manager or something. Anything specific to your issue, rather than HR/legal forumulated BS in written form.

karan733

Send them another letter/email, saying that you are disappointed that their generic response doesnt deal with your specific issue, and that you would like them to send you the CCTV video so you can make a formal complaint to the police

jimboalee

Hagley Road West. Travelling westbound toward the Junction of the Wolverhampton Rd, opposite the Cock and Magpies.

Been there, got the Tee shirt.

Friday afternoons about 3:00... race ya...

jimboalee

Pretty much average.

Coventry Road between the Swan and the Wheatsheaf. Same kinda road, same kinda bus driving.

Stratford Rd between Hall Green Tech and Shirley... Worse.

Tyburn Rd between Spag' Junc and The Bagot. I don't ride along there any more. They put in a bus lane, but everyone uses it. Worse bit was between the outer circle ( Navigation ) and where The Norton was.

Number14

Guru
Got a letter today, after chasing it up by phone a couple of times, and it's disappointing.

As a bit of background, a few years ago I wrote to the same bus company (it was West Midlands Travel then) about a different incident with a bus. There was no way that they could have identified the driver by the limited information that I gave them. Regardless, I had a reply letter stating that they took incidents very seriously, and had spoken to the driver concerned. Then a couple of weeks later I mentioned it to a colleague and he said that he had received the same letter following an incident that he had reported. This time, given the video clip and me offering to send them the clip of the conversation that followed (they haven't asked to see it), I expected more. I got this-

Thank you for your email received on 19 May 2010. I am sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I was very concerned to learn about the poor driving standards of the driver you encountered whilst cycling on 19 May. I understand from your comments that the driver went past you dangerously close. Then, when you approached him about it, he was rude towrds you and dismissive about it. I can certainly appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you. Please accept my sincere apologies for the upset caused.

The safety of our customers, our drivers, other road users and pedestrians is our number one priority. We also expect our drivers to be professional at all times. Therefore, when I received your comments, I immediately forwarded them to the management team at Birmingham Central garage for a full investigation.

We take all our complaints about the conduct of our staff very seriously and we follow a strict procedure to ensure that all of the issues are properly followed up. In situations like this:

• The manager interviews the driver and discusses your complaint in detail
  • The driver's previous employment record is reviewed along with any other relevant information
  • The manager decides what action is appropriate. This may vary from a verbal warning to extra training or even formal disciplinary action
  • The outcome is recorded on a central database for future reference

The Company's Quality Team monitor and review all these database entries to ensure that the actrions taken are consistent and effective. This may even involve discreet checks of the driver's future performance.

Thank you for getting in touch, blah blah blah......

Is this enough? I don't think it is. I think that when someone is exposed to this kind of driving they deserve more than vagueties (SP?). For all I know the manager could have sat down with the driver and they could have had a laugh about it.

Or do I trust that it has been dealt with properly and move on?

Looks pretty similiar to the letter I received yesterday about this "overtake":

Dear xxxxxxxx,

I am in receipt of your complaint regarding an incident with one of our vehicles on Saturday 12th June 2010

It is very disappointing to hear of such an instance involving a member of my staff, behaving in such a manner which could have very serious consequences.
This is certainly not the expectation of the management team here at First of our employees. Our drivers are trained to a very high standard using a recognised system that gives them the skills to put themselves into a position where other road users are not compromised.

An investigation has been conducted into this incident, which I view very seriously and having identified the driver the appropriate course of action has been taken.

On behalf of First I apologise for the incident and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Looks like a standard response template.
I wonder if the appropriate action is to look at the videos, have a laugh and have a monthly sweepstake for who can p155 off the most cyclists.

I think what I'm going to do is send this clip in and compare the responses.

That's if someone can make out the fleet number/reg of the bus?

Are you standing at the lights trying to catch red light jumpers? How many did you see?

jimboalee

Part of my route home is up the hill from Hatton Village to The Waterman pub on the Birmingham Road out of Warwick.
At its steepest, its 9% and I ride up gently at about 7.5 – 8 mph.
The lane is 12 ft wide and the road has two solid white lines down the centre as it rounds the bend.
It is a 50 mph limit.

If I had a helmet cam and edited clips of every car, van or truck that overtakes me within 2 ft, I'd become Warwick Constabulary's nuisance caller.

Why can't some cyclists accept the FACT that some traffic is going to pass close.

Another part of my route is The Butts, from Jury St / Castle Hill to Priory Road in the centre of Warwick.
It is NARROW.
Almost every evening, I get a car close up my rear. That's because I take a dominant position due to the width of the road and the speed I'm travelling. When the road merges into Saltisford, the car following EAGERLY zooms past as close as they dare.
Warwick Police Stn is at the top of the hill on Priory Road. I could nip back and download my last minute of footage straight onto their computer.

They'd say "That's the way it is mate".

Top Bottom