vigilante.... right or wrong on jeremy vine show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I can understand why he (BM) does it. I walk the kids to school and nursery four out of five days each week and crossing the road at the pelican crossing is like playing russian roulette.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Excellent work by BM.

D

Deleted member 26715

Jeremy Vine like the other Jeremy (Kyle is it?) should be banned from all forms of self gratification by switching off their microphones, they do this country no good.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd rather not associate myself with his behaviour as I think it hardens attitudes and promulgates stereotypes, and as such is likely to be counterproductive. We're becoming a dash/helmet cam society, I think, and it's changing behaviour on the road, not for the better.

Couldn't disagree more. Hats off to BentMikey. (I remember him from my early days hereabouts.) I think it's great that some people are prepared to stand up & say: no. You can't do that.

I can imagine coming round that corner, fast, attention entirely focused ahead & to the right - because that's where any potential danger is coming from - and ploughing straight into a vehicle that shouldn't be there. I did exactly that, once, ploughing into a van that was parked on a roundabout. I hadn't been looking that way; I'd been looking at approaching traffic. Suddenly I turn back and bang. Really dangerous. But hey, sod other people. I'm late.

I'm not that surprised to discover that

Mikey is fairly handy. He can handle himself ok.

You'd have to be, to take on that kind of confrontation. Some people are. Some people are small enough and/or chicken shoot enough (both, in my case) to avoid such confrontations. I'm glad there are people out there who have the physical presence and the courage, and use them not to bully others but to stand up to bullies.

Have to admit I also love the theatricality of it. It's real pistols at dawn stuff. There's absolutely no wriggle-room. "Go back." Simple as that. I'm going nowhere; you have to retreat. "Go back."

I suppose that in purely practical terms the big question is does it "change behaviour on the road, not for the better"? And I disagree. I think it absolutely is a force for better behaviour on the roads, and a nudge in the right direction. I think it's people doing this kind of thing with impunity that changes behaviour for the worse, eroding basic common decencies like taking your turn, and making the roads more difficult and infuriating and potentially dangerous than they'd otherwise be. Seeing them stopped, and hopefully prosecuted (and I for one would like to know whether they are, and if not, why not?) helps make the roads a more civilised and a safer place to be.

So I say again Hats off to BentMikey! Good for him.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I could. I choose not to. I am not the police or a local authority, who are responsible for enforcement. I would rather spend my time influencing at that level (in fact I am at a police liaison session next Wednesday evening). Choices.

You are doing what in that regard?

Slick

Guru
I like it and think he's quite right to do what he did. The radio thing I didn't hear but assume it gave a platform to the usual anti cycling brigade but at the end of the day, they are not the ones at risk. The driver deserves what's coming and he may think twice before trying such a stupid manoeuvre in future.

ozboz

Guru
It must be legal to confront other vehicle users in this way or the cops would have been on his case also, But he did put himself in a very precarious position ,
10/10 from me anyway !

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Excellent work. More please.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
No. I’d have dragged the idiot out of his car by his head, taken his keys, and shoved them down his throat. I kid you not.

and he would just let you do it , its amazing how many people come out with crap like this , you know sweet sod all about the driver but yet you know you could manage to do all that. I was half tempted to ask how you know he wouldnt stab you, beat you to a pulp or whatever, then I remembered ,....oh yeah...... you don't know at all.

Top Bottom