Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Correction, metallic blue is the only colour for a bike that isn’t ruby flamboyant.
Just as long as the owner is flamboyant too :smile:

Mandobob

Interesting thanks
Are you going for it?

andyscherer

I've recently acquired this San Remo from a fellow that's retiring from the road. According to the seller it was purchased new by his father-in-law about 1974 in Vermont, and given to him a few years later. The transfers are recent, and it may have been resprayed in the 70's. I haven't located the serial number, perhaps that's why. In any event, it's quite handsome and rides beautifully. I suspect it's older than the purchase year but I have no way to verify that. Any questions or comments are welcome - cheers!

Mandobob

I've recently acquired this San Remo from a fellow that's retiring from the road. According to the seller it was purchased new by his father-in-law about 1974 in Vermont, and given to him a few years later. The transfers are recent, and it may have been resprayed in the 70's. I haven't located the serial number, perhaps that's why. In any event, it's quite handsome and rides beautifully. I suspect it's older than the purchase year but I have no way to verify that. Any questions or comments are welcome - cheers!

That is a very nice bike indeed. I have a number of Falcons myself, including several different San Remos, and can comment on your bike.

My observations on it are that the seat tube cluster wrapover has circular and not flattened tubes. Early 1960s model 76 San Remos were built with this round tube detail, which changed later to flat tubes (see picture) when the round tube detail was used on the Olympic and the model 80 San Remo . To check if it is a model 76 San Remo measure the seat pin. If it is 27.2 it will be a San Remo and if it is 26.6 then it will be a model 78 Olympic or a model 80 San Remo frame. Both are Reynolds tubing but the model 76 tubes are butted and the Olympic and model 80 are plain gauge. If it was new in 1974 it is

probably a model 80.

Also, the early round-tube seat detail San Remos usually had the two head lugs chromed. Because your frame doesn't have that could mean that if it was refinished, they economised on replating the lugs and simply sprayed them over.

One final note, the pro team bikes (model 76) were fitted with Weinmann brakes, as yours is, until 1969 when they switched to Campagnolo. Clearly over time components can be changed and they might be a replacement. They will however have a date on the back of the arms if you take them off and check. That might also help in evidencing the date of manufacture of the frame if the brakes are original.

Frame numbers on Falcons are no key to their date! There was an incomprehensible numbering system that nobody at the time or evn now can understand! However I am building a database of Falcon numbers if you are able ever to read yours. It will be five numbers. 617277

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:, however it has track forks on a road bike and not the San Remo Equipe which has a different frame. Good to see the Falcon total lack of braze ons lol

Top Bottom