W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only feature I'm really going to miss is being able to compare my times against myself which of all the standard set that has now become subscription only is a bit annoying. I'd just gotten back into being serious about cycling, was enjoying seeing myself get back to my 2014 golden year over certain segments.

Am I looking for an alternative? Yeah, definitely more open to it than had they just taken routes/leaderboards as there's no real statistics for self-improvement even as a basic kicker for motivation there now, but Strava aren't going to miss me if I'm not paying, and I'm not going to pay just to see if I'm back to the same level of fitness I was in 2014. Would I have thrown money at some point this year? Yeah, maybe, but now I'd rather not, but that's easy to say from a "would have, could have".
Ridewithgps has segments and you can look at your own efforts over them. I don't think they are as snazzy as Strava ones but they do work.

You'd also have to re -upload your 2014 rides to RWGPS to get the history, which would be time and faff. I'd think if you want the feature so much that you're prepared to spend an evening uploading, you might as well consider paying for it.

Edit. I'm pretty sure the RWGPS segments aren't a premium feature, but as I'm a paid RWGPS premium user I could be wrong.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Went from free to paid up yesterday. The age group boards are now open to view and I can now see how I am getting on against the other oldies!

The one thing that has intrigued me for some time and I guess I will find out next year is how Strava handles age transition.

I am currently in 55-64 and let's say I have a time of two minutes for a given segment. Does that automatically follow me into the 65+ group or stay in the 55-64?

How clever is the programming I wonder as if it does follow you then it makes the whole age group side of it "fictional" for want of a better word.
The leaderboard is by age group and your 55-64 time stays in that bracket. You're times on rides when you are 65+ will count in that age group. The times don't follow you.

I have a friend who has recently turned 70 and is mucking about getting the leaderboard for that age group so he can hold both 65-69 and 70+. He's a touch peeved I've nicked a few in the 65-69 group in the last 2-3 weeks. 😂

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have an old Garmin 705, so doesn't have live segments etc, plus I can't see the screen on a bouncy MTB, so on arriving home its plug into PC to charge and upload. I'm sure if I had a more modern garmin I'd upgrade.

OP
OP
R
The leaderboard is by age group and your 55-64 time stays in that bracket. You're times on rides when you are 65+ will count in that age group. The times don't follow you.

I have a friend who has recently turned 70 and is mucking about getting the leaderboard for that age group so he can hold both 65-69 and 70+. He's a touch peeved I've nicked a few in the 65-69 group in the last 2-3 weeks. 😂

Thanks for that @PaulSB , been pondering it for some time. However, even more strange is that you have responded to my post but it shows my post by a different user! Scary!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Roger Longbottom this is because earlier today I started to reply to the other post and then thought better of it.

I've noticed sometimes the forum retains the initial post in someway even though I had deleted both the quote and my comment before replying to your question.

Bit of a mystery to me. I've just edited the response to you to take out the other post.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
my most common use of Strava is to look at 'Flybys' to put a name to the face/bike. Does anyone know if free users will loose this?
My account has now been demoted to the new free spec, but flybys appear to have been retained :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Paid up member on Strava. Love the Strava segment. Tells me to GO when i reach one. Then i can see if i am in front or behind my best time. Was behind all of them today.:laugh: Was a bit breezy though:okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Paid up member on Strava. Love the Strava segment. Tells me to GO when i reach one. Then i can see if i am in front or behind my best time. Was behind all of them today.:laugh: Was a bit breezy though:okay:
Anything that brings a bit of fun and enjoyment to cycling has to be a good thing.............as long as you don't get too obsessive about the segments and take risks.

I am on the free model. They have disabled the results page when you click through a segment to see your achievements. I can see what time I did today and the graph but then it is greyed it out so I can’t see if I got a PB by 1 second, 2 seconds or 10 seconds etc which is really really annoying.

I don’t want to pay for something I won’t use or used to get for free; I don’t use the segments or fly by, I don’t compete and my profile is set to private. Considering pressing delete on my account as I have most of the data bar segment history from Amazfit, my Smartwatch and I can get route data elsewhere or make my own on my Garmin account.

Attachments

• 37A58B02-99B6-4ADD-8BC8-B52B08B3841B.png
    37A58B02-99B6-4ADD-8BC8-B52B08B3841B.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 5

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anything that brings a bit of fun and enjoyment to cycling has to be a good thing.............as long as you don't get too obsessive about the segments and take risks.
This applies to my mate, who can be a bit of a cycle obsessor in general. Chasing a segment to try and outdo one of his buddies, he hit a patch of gravel on a left turn at a T junction and came off. Smashed his left hip which is now held together with plates and screws. A month in hospital and several months off the bike. To his credit (or not!) he got back on it, and a year later is now pretty much back where he left off. But still chasing PB's and KOM's. :ohmy:

Absolutely. I do fall into the obsessive category if I am truly honest with myself though and I am actually a little annoyed with myself as a result - I need to move away from being too focussed upon winning KOM's now. I don't take risks however.

I only joined Strava in July last year after not having cycled, let alone raced, for nearly 20 years! When I saw that I still had a half-decent sprint for my age (51) I got hooked when I won some segments. Now with over 60 KOM's I chase and defend them as part of my training, using them for intervals. I like the motivation aspect but not the feeling I get to defend them all the time. It's just fun at the end of the day and results are skewed anyway according to so many variables and in no way comparable to real racing.

Anyway, I'm a paid up subscriber, I like most of the features so for what it costs, it is worthwhile I think.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is that the "Live Segments" I have seen? Does that only work if you are recording on a phone directly through Strava and not through a third party computer? Does your phone have to be "live" all the ride i.e. lit screen not where the screen goes dark and locks itself for battery conservation after a few seconds?
I use a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt which shows live segments. You have to 'star' (select as favourite) up to 50 segments in Strava - these are then synced to your Wahoo account (which must be linked to your Strava one). Then, when you approach a favourite segment it shows on the Bolt screen, counts down to the start and gives a big "GO!" on the screen. It then tracks your progress through the segment vs the KOM or vs your own PR, showing how far behind or ahead you are, what your predicted time is and at the end of the segment it gives you your time and shows if you PRed or KOMed. One small caveat - Strava won't allow any downhill segments to be 'live', and they set the limit as an average gradient of -0.25%. This means that any segment that feels flat but turns out to be slightly downhill is out. Or any very long segment that happens to finish at a lower altitude than it started is out. This is for safety, to prevent people barrelling downhill and playing chicken on the brakes.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just noticed my account has just changed, when looking at a segment on the right hand side there is All-time, prior you could look at that & compare all your previous attempts, also compare with your friends, it's also saying Your PR N/A. Not sure I will miss them, just means I'll just probably not bother with Strava in preference to Garmin & RWGPS

Top Bottom