W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This applies to my mate, who can be a bit of a cycle obsessor in general. Chasing a segment to try and outdo one of his buddies, he hit a patch of gravel on a left turn at a T junction and came off. Smashed his left hip which is now held together with plates and screws. A month in hospital and several months off the bike. To his credit (or not!) he got back on it, and a year later is now pretty much back where he left off. But still chasing PB's and KOM's. :ohmy:
.........as you'll maybe remember, it was bombing downhill from the Turret Dam in Crieff where I had my sheep incident and smashed my collar bone and needed it plated too. Quite a bit more cautious now!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My first post-change ride yesterday. I feel some sense of loss; apart from marvelling at setting PBs even on my worst days, one of the reasons I liked to look at segments was to see how relatively popular certain roads are in comparison to others. Sometimes it was quite illuminating, and not always easy to understand how some really pleasant roads were so little known. I doubt that Strava particularly wanted to take this from me, but I can see it's an inevitable consequence of what they've done.

I don't blame anyone for trying to persuade me to spend money, but "We've taken away some of what we used to give you; here's a bowl in case you feel the need to put something in it" doesn't really do it for me. There are some providers, BikeHike comes to mind, which I should probably think about contributing to more seriously than I've done up to now, some maybe there'll be some good consequences.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have started investigating the segments on Garmin Connect. It has potential, but near me at least there is no critical mass, so I might spend an evening adding a few. I will need to work out how to switch from Strava to Garmin segments on my device as I know you cannot have both active simultaneously.

D

Deleted member 26715

I will need to work out how to switch from Strava to Garmin segments on my device as I know you cannot have both active simultaneously.
Don't understand, can you explain more?
Edit:- Do you mean for recording?

D

Deleted member 26715

I wonder if the likes of Garmin connect will capitalise on Strava's withdrawal of there free functions in the future
Not sure about Garmin as they are too big a company to react, but I would expect an announcement from RWGPS shortly they are surely perfectly placed to mop up the disenfranchised.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To be honest, renew at cost or delete may be their end goal. If lots of disgruntled free "customers" delete their accounts it would be a good "cleaning up" exercise for Strava thus making the database smaller and more manageable to keep sorted for people who pay.

I also wonder if they may do a purge on dormant accounts, say five years no use.

I certainly know of one bloke who still shows on leaderboards but is no longer with us, sure there must be many more.

Yeah, but surely the main attraction of the whole "leaderboard" thing, is the weight of numbers involved. If you cut out the data from the vast majority of riders, then you limit the use for the rest. This is to say nothing of Stravas side line in selling anonymised commuter/ride data.. which again relies on the critical mass of "normal" users

Personally I'm not likely to be in the top 10 of many routes round here, and neither are 99.9% of people I know. The leaderboards were a bit of fun between me and people I know (the you're following and clubs boards), and now I cant access them without paying Strava has lost a chumk of its use to me. Not interested in the route planning or training side, or the advanced monitoring features. TBH will probably lose interest and wander away.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Don't understand, can you explain more?
Edit:- Do you mean for recording?
So on your device you can chose to view Garmin Segments of Strava Segments - you cannot have both at the same time. I used https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=l8JZsm5MAbAqaWs22qHcn5 and in particular this "You will only be able to create segments in Garmin Connect if you are using Garmin Segments. If you use Strava Segments you will need to create the segment in Strava (see Strava Support - Create a Segment). To switch between segment sources in Garmin Connect, go to the Garmin Connect Dashboard and select the gear icon in the top right corner of the Segment widget. " I created a few segments near me, I just need to wait for a few cyclists to ride them.

To view segments you can look on you activity such as https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2869046102 and at the bottom click the segments tab.

Jody

Stubborn git
I deleted my account the night before so I'll never know :laugh:.

Currently looking into what the alternatives offer before deleting mine. I'm OK with leader boards going but they have also blocked access to past efforts among other things. I would have probably signed up had it been a little cheaper but I'm not paying £50 a year. £20 a year and half the users signing up would give them a revenue of around £500 million per year. Ample to cover 180 staff and turn a profit.

Although I'm not sure it's a bad thing having had some time to dwell on it. I might not push myself as hard but on a plus side the ride is now to be enjoyed more. Some of the anti social and reckless behaviour that Strava produced might start to subside. Maybe less people heading to hospital per day now they aren't chasing times. Only time will tell.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did an early ride this morning, uploaded to Strava and had a good look at the website.

As a free user, the ride summary looks the same with the usual segment list, times & achievements. Speed/Power/Temp are still there in the analysis page. Heard a rumour that all heart rate functionality is premium only, but didn't wear a strap so can't comment. Haven't got a cadence sensor currently, so can't even comment on that.

You do still feature on leaderboards, but you can only see "All time" and "All-time (Women)", and then only the first 10 riders.
Your PR time is always visible, but if you're outside the top 10 you can't see your place. The Elevate Chrome Plugin does still seem to show your place but this might be old/stale data.

None of the other segment leaderboards are accessible free, which is slightly disappointing for "People you follow" and annoying for "My results" (although there is a glimpse of My Results if you use the Android app, but not the website).

I have a few mates on Strava and it was amusing to virtually challenge each other on hills and sprints. I'll miss that function, although you can still click into their ride results to see their segment times, and this does still show their PR - so some element of competition is still available free of charge.

Strava has provided nearly a decade of free entertainment so maybe I'll bung them some money at some point.

D

Deleted member 26715

None of the other segment leaderboards are accessible free, which is slightly disappointing for "People you follow" and annoying for "My results"
Those are the only features I will miss & TBH they are not worth £50 a year.

Edit:- They are not worth £50 to me, others may have a different valid opinion.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yes but think how far up the leaderboard you will go😀
It is my understanding that non payers will still feature on the leaderboard, visible to payers, it would, I imagine, be only those who delete their account who would disappear.
True, but how many people will gradually drift away, no longer uploading data?

Without the mass of ordinary riders, the benefits for those who do hang about (and Pay) become lessened.

Top Bottom