wanting to give up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Having been in Ulster in the 70's

Correction:-

"Having been in the six county statelet in the 70's" :evil:

Just thought that I'd join the general air of protest :ohmy:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not trying to diminish everyone's disgust at the anti photography stance of the "authorities" (with which I agree) I think this was just one of the more notable problems Laurence has been struggling with. Or was it just me that picked up that sense?

Crackle - i tried to get shots of the hatching grebelets but the conditions were against me - it was blowing a gale (so much so a tree opposite the nest fell down) and the nest is under a willow on the other side of water with trees on my side! also, i was to entranced to! i got some blurry shots where you can just see the zebra striped head of the youngster(s) poking from the parent's back.

as for the depression - it's a long time thing, but getting worse by the situations. i cannot honestly see a point in getting up each day. i could escape behind my camera, but not now. that joy of watching something beautiful and capturing that moment has gone.

the community officers were trying to get backup when i walked away. i walked off to follow the grebes and even walked past the 'police' again. i was tempted to take their picture.

there was a feature on the BBC site about this and, luckily, i'd read it, which is why i stood my ground.

the point where i was standing is below a cafe. presumably it's ok to sit there and look at the bridge for ages (and maybe take a few covert shots), but not stand in the freezing cold and drizzle. i did show them the pictures i'd taken, one of the 'officers' said she'd seen me take shots of the bridge. the shots were of grebes, the bridge couldn't be seen. she said that was beside the point, i was photographing the bridge.*sigh*

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Not trying to diminish everyone's disgust at the anti photography stance of the "authorities" (with which I agree) I think this was just one of the more notable problems Laurence has been struggling with. Or was it just me that picked up that sense?

No no it wasn't just you.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time Laurence. I always enjoy your posts here about birds cos I'm into a bit of that myself and wish I had your knowledge. I hope things start to improve for you, and I can relate to the struggle to get through every day (I've recently been diagnosed with depression myself), some days you can grit your teeth and do it, others it just gets the better of you. If there's anything any one on here can do to help then don't be afraid to say so. I hope you have the strength to take even the tiniest of steps that will improve your situation.

surfgurl

My hubbie is a journalist on one of the local papers down here. A bloke rang him last week to tell him he had been accosted by the Police in London. His 'crime'? Taking a photo of his Mum outside Buckingham Palace.

Laurence, come for a holiday down here in Somerset. Lots of birdwatching opportunities. I'm not au fait with species but I saw plenty of different sorts in Cheddar Gorge the other day. You've also got the Somerset Levels and all the birds that turn up there.

someone could get me a load of tablets to take, enough to ensure i don't wake please.

i'm too tired to fight any more. there comes a time when you have to face up to reality and mine is that i am totally useless at everything i do or try. i have no skills or talent. my life is a mess and, for years now, i've wanted it to end. each winter i claw my way through to spring and each year it's less of a relief until, for the last few, it's been no different from any other season.

my bikes collect dust, my heart isn't into it any more. now my camera will too. any escape route has been blocked.

i should just go and throw stones at the birds, it's acceptable to do that, you'll not be accused of being a terrorist for such acts.

there comes a time when nothing shines any more, nothing glints to attract your magpie eye, nothing thrills like the fresh scent of spring in the rain. nothing matters.

simonali

Guru
surfgurl said:
Laurence, come for a holiday down here in Somerset. Lots of birdwatching opportunities. I'm not au fait with species but I saw plenty of different sorts in Cheddar Gorge the other day. You've also got the Somerset Levels and all the birds that turn up there.

Same here, come down to Wiltshire. There's a great ride down to Langford Lakes, which is a small wetlands not to far from me.

simonali

Guru
Oh and the only fuzz I ever see are the 2 pricks in dark Beemer who go around nicking people for doing 32mph in Trowbridge!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
or take a trip up to martin mere in lancashire.

if you're ever macclesfield way there's redesmere, although from what i can tell, most of the ducks, geese, swans etc are pretty common.

dunham massey has those black ducks that go completely under water, only to surface somewhere at random. try getting a shot of those little fellas…

Blue

Legendary Member
Just to make a serious comment about all of this.

I think that when a very real terrorist threat exists the general population have to accept some impingements on civil liberties. FFS, in Belfast in the 70's people were subjected to a search if they wanted to stroll into Boots to buy some Asprin. Indeed, you were searched if you just wanted to walk into the main shopping street in the city.

Protest about a police state all you want - you'll be crying into your soup if the terrorists get carte blanche.

Ranger

If you think you had it bad,a friend of mine was training as a landscape architect taking some pictures of a warehouse across the Thames in Kent for an assignment.

3 months later there was a knock on the door and 2 'gentlemen' forced their way into her house, sat her down and started to question her about why she had been taking photographs of the same buildings.

She said the scariest thing was they knew the name of her dog, where her darkroom was and her complete family history! She never saw the negatives for her assignement again and I suppose you cant say to teacher "The secret services took my homework"

Arch

Married to Night Train
laurence said:
i'm too tired to fight any more. there comes a time when you have to face up to reality and mine is that i am totally useless at everything i do or try. i have no skills or talent. my life is a mess and, for years now, i've wanted it to end. each winter i claw my way through to spring and each year it's less of a relief until, for the last few, it's been no different from any other season.

I do know how you feel, really. But if you can just wait, something will happen to make it better. It has for me, in a rather random way, and I wouldn't have believed it a few months ago. I'd hardly have believed I could even try to talk someone into being optimistic. Or at the very least, not so utterly helpless.

Keeping watching the birds, keep taking pictures. You've had bad luck at the hands of a couple of jumped up ignorant twerps. Sooner or later the tide (and I mean personally and nationally) has to turn.

Have you talked to a GP, or a counsellor? I'm all too well aware that medication or counselling doesn't always work, but it can't unless you try it. If you are trying it and it's not working, try something else. Take up a some random new interest for a bit, something that you can immerse yourself in, but leave when you feel like it. I know it's the hardest thing to make yourself care enough to do it, but there must be so many people who care about you, something that's kept you going this long. Grasp that straw. Grasp all those straws, until you have enough to weave a comedy sombrero and realise that there is a reason to go on.

My supervisor told me, when I was getting almost as low as I could, that sometimes you have to hit the bottom to bounce up again. Bounce, Laurence, bounce.

wafflycat

Laurence - get thee to the doc - ask for an urgent appointment. Depression is a *serious illness* and it can be treated. Treatment doesn't give immediate cure, but it can be cured. It's a bit of a b*gg*r when the monster is bearing down on you though. In the meantime, look at all the good words of friendship you're getting. Hang on to those. You wouldn't get them if you were a worthless person: you have worth. But do go see your doc a.s.a.p.

Top Bottom