wanting to give up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blue said:
I think that when a very real terrorist threat exists the general population have to accept some impingements on civil liberties. FFS, in Belfast in the 70's people were subjected to a search if they wanted to stroll into Boots to buy some Asprin. Indeed, you were searched if you just wanted to walk into the main shopping street in the city.

Indeed, they used to search my violin case sometimes. I was 9. But it was 'normal'. Perhaps the thing we find hard to cope with is that the restrictions now seem more secretive. I mean, you see a Policeman with a gun and he searches you, and alls well and maybe you have a joke together and on you go (obviously I speak from the priveliegd background of having parents with English accents). But thinking they are watching you, monitoring you, all that, without you knowing - it's harder to brush off...

Blue

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Indeed, they used to search my violin case sometimes. I was 9. But it was 'normal'. .

Only if you were born into it. I was born a long time before the 'troubles' started and lived in a part of NI that was relatively quiet. I didn't find Belfast normal - I just accepted the necessity.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blue said:
Only if you were born into it. I was born a long time before the 'troubles' started and lived in a part of NI that was relatively quiet. I didn't find Belfast normal - I just accepted the necessity.

True, I was born into it. But we moved back over here when I was 10, and boy was it odd NOT to get searched! But I take your point about the distinction.

Blue

Legendary Member
BTW laurence, I agree with the comments about seeing your GP if you are having general problems. Depression/anxiety can be treated and it's best to seek help rather than let the black dog win.

Good luck with that.

longers

Legendary Member
Hey laurence :ohmy:. Everything I type looks trite and patronising but here goes.

Please don't hang up the camera. Or anything else.

You have a very positive influence on this place. It's not just your photos but your words are always worth reading. You are witty, intelligent, have a great sense of humour and come across as a kind and thoughtful person.

This shows to me that you have such a lot to contribute to life.

I can't offer any advice on improving your situation but you do and can make a real difference to others.

I'd second Longers sentiment, you're missed here when you're not around and that's in a forum, I'm damn sure you have the same effect in the non-virtual world as well.

All things have a solution, you just need to find it. I've been through a few keys to life as well, expect to go through a few more before I've finished, that's the way of it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
longers said:
Hey laurence :ohmy:. Everything I type looks trite and patronising but here goes.

Please don't hang up the camera. Or anything else.

You have a very positive influence on this place. It's not just your photos but your words are always worth reading. You are witty, intelligent, have a great sense of humour and come across as a kind and thoughtful person.

This shows to me that you have such a lot to contribute to life.

I can't offer any advice on improving your situation but you do and can make a real difference to others.

I could not improve on what Longers has said. I really enjoy seeing your photos.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll third Longers - it's a fantastic skill is photography - don't give it up. I can just about point my camera.

Don't let the coppers get you down - as you said you stood up to them - FFS what is there in Kingston that's worth blowing up - certainly know there is nothing up here of any interest. Invite them home to view the pictures !

I think the world's gone potty !

bonj2

Laurence - could I suggest, possibly going out into the countryside somewhere remote and doing some photography? You shouldn't have to, but if you do then you are possibly likely to get some peace and quiet be able to shake off the worry that you are going to be accosted by some lowlife little hitler, and thus be able to actually enjoy it, which may reignite your passion for it.
I'm guessing there's specific technical ornithological reasons why you were taking photos at the thames, such as the grebe being a bird of particular interest that nests there. If you got away from the city for a bit you might not have that specific interest, you might possibly even have to branch out into other types of bird or just nature in general - wild creatures etc, but most importantly it would enable you to do what you enjoy doing and get back into the spirit of it.
When you've done that, and enjoyed the lift that it WILL give you, THEN you can think about a pragmatic approach to the possibility that you could get accosted again.

I suggest that by being prepared for such a possible occurrence in the future, it won't depress you as much, and that means understand why they are doing what they are doing, what they can do, and what you can do. Why: because it's their job, why is it their job : because the job's there and they're individuals with not too much between the ears but a power hungry ego - don't think more about it than that. What they can do: not much really, apart from have the right to be treated with civility. What you can do: you are legally allowed to take pictures, you also have the right to be treated with civility by them. You also have the right not to be arrested if you haven't committed any crime. (I think.) Familiarising yourself with the law in this area might make you more comfortable if (when) you do photography in london in the future, and quoting it back at any little hitler that accosts you might make them back off.

I agree that the world has gone a bit mad though. I had a bit of a worrying moment the other day: I'd bought some new forks for my bike and I had them in my van, so I put them inside the sleeve of my jacket instead of loose in the back of my van so they wouldn't get scratched. When I got home I wanted to take my jacket and the forks in with me so I just grabbed my jacket with the forks still in it....fortunately i'd only took a few steps out of the car park when I thought WOOAAAHH!...shiiiiiiiittt !!! i know what this could look like... :angry:

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm so sorry to hear your'e struggling laurence..it seems so many people struggle nowadays :tongue:

At risk of appearing flip...just think 'fcuk em'
Do what i did in similar circumstances...mine was walking the dog on old brickpit land, bordered by farmland. The owner took umbrage at me walking over 10 feet of his land to get to the pits...something that EVERYONE else does.
He took me to task, nothing too outrageous, but i didnt appreciate it all the same. So i said 'ok'...and carried on with my walk.
He drove off happy...i walked off and thought 'fcuk you'. I still use his 10 feet of land to get where i want to :angry: Never seen him since :ohmy:

Dont give up on the photography laurence. You're good and your contributions are always eagerly read...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Laurence - can I add to the suggestion put forward by Wafflers and a few others. Please talk to someone, and get what help you can. The world sometimes seems a bit rubbish, I know that, but it's not always so bad as all that. There's people on here who'd like to help, there's professionals who can help. Please, take advantage of what's on offer. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to.

Hello laurence, I seem to recall having an almighty ding-dong with you some years ago when my ex was having a had time, cutting herself and such. I wouldn't presume to know exactly how you feel, but I've had a taste, from both sides of the looking glass. It's a lonely and dark place, but there are always shafts of light. I hope you see this place, and the comments from everyone here, as one of those.
Plenty of good birding down here on the Exe btw.....;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Laurence, as others have said the pleasure you give all of us with your photos is a gift you have that most do not. Talking about the problem to friends and/or a doctor is sound advice which I hope you can follow. Whatever is the cause of your present unrest it can and will be changed in time so please don't give up on giving others some pleasure!

Top Bottom