Waspyfecker season 2021...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have a wasp nest in the void above the porch this year. A steady stream of the charmers all day back and forth. I think the advice is just leave them to it as they move to another location next year?

Yup, leave them bee (hee hee) unless it's an issue for access to the house or causes a problem.

We have a lovely budliea that's full of bees. I walked past it and picked up a few on me and just moved them on. Unless it's an issue, leave it (no bee)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had wasps nests in the garage roof some years ago, not an issue for us, but the bloody cats loved climbing in the garage eves (detached garage) so we had to get rid. Wine and lots of it, powders and spray, and a night attack - NIGHT attack is the key. Alcohol and a planned escape route.

Unless the nest is an issue, we don't bother now. PS Current cats are house cats... just wait !!!!

I now get. "Luna is after Wasp on the landing window" - FFS it's a 9ft window, the bloody wasp has come in from somewhere else in the house and one of the FOUR 'house' cats are about to 'play' with it. It is not an emergency (from my 18 year old daughter). :whistle:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We have a wasp nest in the void above the porch this year. A steady stream of the charmers all day back and forth. I think the advice is just leave them to it as they move to another location next year?
Correct AFAIK. Let’s hope they don’t become a nuisance, awkward location.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We had wasps nests in the garage roof some years ago, not an issue for us, but the bloody cats loved climbing in the garage eves (detached garage) so we had to get rid. Wine and lots of it, powders and spray, and a night attack - NIGHT attack is the key. Alcohol and a planned escape route.

Unless the nest is an issue, we don't bother now. PS Current cats are house cats... just wait !!!!

I now get. "Luna is after Wasp on the landing window" - FFS it's a 9ft window, the bloody wasp has come in from somewhere else in the house and one of the FOUR 'house' cats are about to 'play' with it. It is not an emergency (from my 18 year old daughter). :whistle:
I used your exact technique several times...with a mate to hold the ladder and laugh!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

I agree that alcohol is an essential tool in the attack. It goes some way to damp down the insane levels of fear involved.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In the spring there were a lot of queen wasps coming into my conservatory, presumably looking to set up home. All killed and I've seen very few wasps.

The ceanthus bush/tree I have attracts bees and there was a bumblebee nest under the decking until recently. Now they were much more friendly.

tyred

Legendary Member
I believe that if you kill a wazsp it gives off pheromone which attracts all it's buddies to seek revenge so it is best to let be.

Gillstay

Über Member
There is less reason to kill hornets as they eat wasps and are far more docile. They do come right up and have a good look at you, but if your calm then it is fine. I took close up photo's of a very large nest hanging from a chums roof joist in his garage and even did it when a large snake snuck over the top and neither of us got stung. I think often blokes just think they have too take them on !

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Up until last week no sign of midges or mosquitos, then I wake up after leaving the bedroom window wide open with the fan on to try and keep cool, only to find I have been savaged by the little bast*rds.

I counted a grand total of forty bites and only just stopped itching, My partner, on the other hand, not a single bite. I must have very attractive blood.
Apparently everyone gets bitten by midges. What makes you and I know about it is that we are allergic to the anticoagulant that the midges inject into you when they bite.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a wasp come into my flat half an hour ago through an open window. Despite my efforts to shooo it out, it wouldn't leave. I have sight problems that mean although i could see the wasp i couldn't work out how far it was away from me or how close it was to me. I can't afford to be stung either, living on my own with no help if i have a bad reaction. Unfortunately i had to spray the wasp with fly and wasp killer. It wasn't nice seeing it wriggle about as the poison took affect and i did feel bad, but i've always had a kill only for survival and food if starving policy. If i hadn't sprayed it i could be here now frantically trying to avoid it stinging me, tripping over things, banging into things plus my dog would be yapping his head off as he picks up on signs of aggression.

RIP waspy fecker, but it was either you or me who bit the dust today!! :gun:

Could be worse…

from BBC

Participants at a training day held by the Washington State Department of Agriculture pest program at Birch Bay State Park, learn how to deal with invasive Asian giant hornets - also known as "murder hornets" - which threaten native bee and wasp populations in the US.

1629665091799.jpeg

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a wasp come into my flat half an hour ago through an open window. Despite my efforts to shooo it out, it wouldn't leave. I have sight problems that mean although i could see the wasp i couldn't work out how far it was away from me or how close it was to me. I can't afford to be stung either, living on my own with no help if i have a bad reaction. Unfortunately i had to spray the wasp with fly and wasp killer. It wasn't nice seeing it wriggle about as the poison took affect and i did feel bad, but i've always had a kill only for survival and food if starving policy. If i hadn't sprayed it i could be here now frantically trying to avoid it stinging me, tripping over things, banging into things plus my dog would be yapping his head off as he picks up on signs of aggression.

RIP waspy fecker, but it was either you or me who bit the dust today!! :gun:
Could you not have just stuck a parking ticket on it......that would show it :rolleyes:

Top Bottom